The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Geedorah
Usually around 70% for an A from what I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG , dont get my hopes up :frown:
Original post by Jennifer Randall
How would I plan an answer for a wholly elected chamber?

Advantages
Democratic
Accountable

Disadvantages
It might mirror the Commons
Voter Fatigue

Conclude
Weigh them up and then pick a side?
i actually know nothing about this except constitution. if i wasnt screwed already am now. i cant just wing it or BS lit like unit 1
Reply 923
If anyone has done a british bill of rights over human rights essay, send it through PLEASE!
Original post by AllanSmith22
i actually know nothing about this except constitution. if i wasnt screwed already am now. i cant just wing it or BS lit like unit 1

Thats nothing imagine, fasting while doing an exam ?
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Does anyone have an good legal cases/judges rulings examples? Of course there's the Belmarsh case, but in a 40 marker you'd obviously need more examples... Something to do with 'Ultra Vires', something to do with Rule of Law, something showing where their power is restrained.... Any help would be much appreciated (:

Two ultra vires cases are:

2009 Abbey national vs office of fair traading when the court ruled that the office had no power to investigate banks charging prices.

2010 Terrorist assets where it was ruled that government could not hold financial assets of terrorist suspects.

Hope this helps :smile:

yes:
increase legitimacy- more of a mandate to scrutinise the commons/bills as well as being democratically legitimate compared to unelected
if designed properly would look different from how hoc looks and would not be dominated/dictated by party politics eg could be elected on a long term basis eg 20 years of even elected for life, the long period between elections can also reduce the chance the electorate will be apathetic towards the idea of voting a lot
hoc would still remain the dominant chamber in legislative process- no veto vote, reduce the possibility of political gridlock
its the logical next step! many reforms have taken palae since 1997 eg devolution, echr etc and the start of reform of the lords by removing all but 92 hereditary peers

no:
election is not required for upper chamber to have legitimacy - look at it now, its doing a good job at putting forward amendments and scrutinizing bills isnt it?
could produce competition between two chambers and bring political gridlock, could argue the lords may end up wanting more power than just delay- may want their own legislative powers as theyre also elected
could end up reproducing the outcome of the hoc- what i mean is the distrust in politicians and mps after all the recent scandals
evolution rather than revolution, it shouldnt be a forced reform it should happen naturally like the transferal of prerogative powers from the monarch to the pm
could argue that new reform would create new problems

conclude:
it works well as it is? is there any need for reofrm?

hope this helped :smile:
Original post by hw1221
Two ultra vires cases are:

2009 Abbey national vs office of fair traading when the court ruled that the office had no power to investigate banks charging prices.

2010 Terrorist assets where it was ruled that government could not hold financial assets of terrorist suspects.

Hope this helps :smile:

Very helpful, thank you!! Much appreciated... Know any restraint on power cases? It's annoying they want so many examples when in reality, much of the theory remains theory.

FOR an elected HoL -
> Representative
> Accountable/ More legitimacy
(Genuinely can't think of anymore - I'd add another for the sake of balance if you can think of one)

AGAINST an elected HoL -
> Lacks expertise (may be filled with career politicians; not experts as it currently is)
> Government gridlock (one chamber with one party majority; the other chamber has a different party majority - unlikely to ever agree on legislation)
> Less independent (increased influence of party whips)
> May be just as unrepresentative as the Commons currently is
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hurbad
Its just the constitutional reform or attempted ones then you can argue against them by saying the AV wasnt achieved and could potentially lead to weak governments
Wales assembly given more power was the first step to welsh independence and futher fragmentation of the Union
Fixed-Term parliament can easily be undone as there is no codified constitution which entrenches these laws
MP recall was never successfully achieved.

I thought mp recall was an act?
Original post by Hurbad
Advantages
Democratic
Accountable

Disadvantages
It might mirror the Commons
Voter Fatigue

Conclude
Weigh them up and then pick a side?

Don't you do 3 for 3 against
Your gonna get an A btw
> Removes anachronistic elements like Bishops which isn't reflective | Still a CofE country
> Legitimacy | political apathy could lead to lower turnout = less legitimate
>Accountability | could reflect the balance in commons which means wouldn't be accountable
> Represents/reflects interest | career politicians in Lords too, means like commons wouldn't work

Then a final paragraph on it works now, why change? conclude
Anyone planning to do the 40 marker first? Is it viable?
Original post by xxvine

It is indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should we do the 40 marker first?
Original post by xxvine
Don't you do 3 for 3 against
Your gonna get an A btw

an A ? omg im lucky if i pass , the Democracy question hit my like a brick.
for a 40 mark question ? or 25 mark ? you only need 2 for 2 against for a 25 marker and a good conclusion or 3 short points for and 3 short points against and a conclusion xD
Original post by xxvine

Recall of MPs
Constituents to have the power to hold a vote on whether to ‘recall’ MPs if they receive a prison sentence of are found guilty of wrong-doing by the HoC * Political and Constitutional Reform Committee: could reduce public confidence in politics and hardly likely to happen
Abandoned
idk , i found some sources saying it was abandoned :frown:
How does gov call parliament into account?
Original post by Nightcall
Anyone planning to do the 40 marker first? Is it viable?

I like to do the smaller answers first, maybe rush them a bit so I know how much time I have, because part 1 is still half marks. But if you're sure about answering the 40 marker and want to get it over with then go for it.
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Very helpful, thank you!! Much appreciated... Know any restraint on power cases? It's annoying they want so many examples when in reality, much of the theory remains theory.

Restraints on the government power? And yeah the amount of examples you need to know makes it really hard.
Original post by LennyBicknel
FOR an elected HoL -
> Representative
> Accountable/ More legitimacy
(Genuinely can't think of anymore - I'd add another for the sake of balance if you can think of one)

AGAINST an elected HoL -
> Lacks expertise (may be filled with career politicians; not experts as it currently is)
> Government gridlock (one chamber with one party majority; the other chamber has a different party majority - unlikely to ever agree on legislation)
> Less independent (increased influence of party whips)
> May be just as unrepresentative as the Commons currently is

What examples would you use for the elected second chamber question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending