The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Didn't do FP2 today, I did C3 :tongue:.
I'm guessing this was EdExcel, but I don't do any EdExcel modules.
In fact I do WJEC Maths and AQA Further Maths, which is pretty weird.

Sorry about that m8. You two look alike. :tongue:

I bet that 'joke module' (C3) you did today went well so no point in asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Sorry about that m8. You two look alike. :tongue:

I bet that 'joke module' (C3) you did today went well so no point in asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol we do have the same profile pic and rep gems so I see where you're coming from. Although I found this guy called 'IrrationalNumber' on TSR who has the same profile pic (when I say profile pic btw I mean colour), same rep gems and also did STEP. Weird...

Yeah it went fine, did the paper in half an hour, checked for half an hour, worked on a STEP Q in pencil for half an hour, so all good :smile:.
I managed to remember most of the Qs too so was able to post an attempt at an unofficial ms which is nice :biggrin:.
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I did AQA M3 today for further maths and it was horrendous...

Yeah I glanced at the M3 thread and I got that impression for sure. I didn't do the M3 exam, but judging by everyone's reaction to it I'm a little worried about M2 lol.
I need about 75% in one of M2 and FP2 and about 10% in the other for the A* though, so no pressure :redface:.
Yeah I glanced at the M3 thread and I got that impression for sure. I didn't do the M3 exam, but judging by everyone's reaction to it I'm a little worried about M2 lol.
I need about 75% in one of M2 and FP2 and about 10% in the other for the A* though, so no pressure :redface:.

Well, I've already done FP3 and that went well I think (I got all the answers that were on the unofficial mark scheme) but I never expected anything as bad as that paper today. I like a challenge but three 7 mark questions (one only Q3), a few 6 mark questions and an 8 mark question on relative motion at the end which was like something off an old S-Paper made it tough to finish in 1 hour 30 minutes with fully correct answers.
Well, I've already done FP3 and that went well I think (I got all the answers that were on the unofficial mark scheme) but I never expected anything as bad as that paper today. I like a challenge but three 7 mark questions (one only Q3), a few 6 mark questions and an 8 mark question on relative motion at the end which was like something off an old S-Paper made it tough to finish in 1 hour 30 minutes with fully correct answers.

Should be low GBs then, I wouldn't worry too much. You doing FP2 and/or M2?
Should be low GBs then, I wouldn't worry too much. You doing FP2 and/or M2?

I did M2 last year, but I'm doing FP2 this year.

:s-smilie:

If you of all people had problems with a mechanics paper it has to be pretty difficult. Did you manage to finish it?
Original post by shamika
:s-smilie:

If you of all people had problems with a mechanics paper it has to be pretty difficult. Did you manage to finish it?

Barely. Just finished in time as they said put your pens down. I didn't have time to do the last question much justice. Managed to get the 8 mark question right though, which is something I guess. Never seen a relative motion question where there's three vehicles before. Not on a regular A-level paper at least
This is an embarassingly simple question, but I have forgotten it. Which of the following is the correct definition of a trapezium?

1) A quadrilateral with exactly 1 set of parallel sides.
2) A quadrilateral with atleast 1 set of parallel sides.
Original post by 16Characters....
This is an embarassingly simple question, but I have forgotten it. Which of the following is the correct definition of a trapezium?

First one, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

at least

2)

Original post by gasfxekl
at least

2)

So the majority vote seems to be that a parallelogram is a type of trapezium. Thanks.
So the majority vote seems to be that a parallelogram is a type of trapezium. Thanks.

Yep it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoid
Note that trapezoid is the name for a trapezium in the US.

God damn Americans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 635

To be fair, that ink also says:

There is some disagreement whether parallelograms, which have two pairs of parallel sides, should be regarded as trapezoids. Some define a trapezoid as a quadrilateral having only one pair of parallel sides (the exclusive definition), thereby excluding parallelograms.[4] Others[1] define a trapezoid as a quadrilateral with at least one pair of parallel sides (the inclusive definition[5]), making the parallelogram a special type of trapezoid. The latter definition is consistent with its uses in higher mathematics such as calculus. The former definition would make such concepts as the trapezoidal approximation to a definite integral ill-defined. This article uses the inclusive definition and considers parallelograms as special cases of a trapezoid. This is also advocated in the taxonomy of quadrilaterals.

so it's one of those annoying maths things. But in general, use the "at least" definition, that's the one most people use. (and makes the most sense, imo)
God damn Americans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It gets worse: their 'trapezium' means 'a quadrilateral with no parallel sides'.
Original post by Zacken
To be fair, that ink also says:

so it's one of those annoying maths things. But in general, use the "at least" definition, that's the one most people use. (and makes the most sense, imo)

Ah I didn't read that part, just read the first para.
So yeah I agree just use the at least definition in general.
Reply 638
Did my 3rd step mock today, step 1 2002 and got 6 full solutions! And they were mostly right :smile: WOOP! Hope your people's exams went well
Original post by jacobe
Did my 3rd step mock today, step 1 2002 and got 6 full solutions! And they were mostly right :smile: WOOP! Hope your people's exams went well

Nice one! I feel you should probably do some STEP II and III if you are doing those since II is only next week (!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending