The Student Room Group

Voter Registration crashed! Did you try to register at the last minute?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Again, awful analogy. Because when a coach leaves is not legally enforceable.

The government set in law that you could register at any point up until midnight. It is their duty to obey the law and ensure that.

It's not for you to decide when people should register within the deadline. Perhaps many people only decided to vote yesterday which they are more than entitled to do.

FFs you're missing my point out of hatred or anger.

Of course they have every right to register when they want, and of course the Government should uphold this; I'm just making the point / simply saying it would be practical (not more rightful) to get it done earlier than the last minute, in the event of unknown / unforeseen problems.
Well, you're a snob then.
Go out and meet some people in the real world and see for yourself why they don't vote, it's not because they're dim.

Couldn't care less if they don't vote. But everyone should have an obligation - it should be required by law - that you're on the electoral roll.

That, however, is an argument for a different time.
Original post by BasicMistake
That doesn't quite work. Delaying a coach means the other passengers suffer the effects of your actions. Registering to vote at the last minute does not affect your ability to vote.

I don't see how your post is relevant?

(i.e. I don't see how your post is applicable.)
Original post by XcitingStuart
FFs you're missing my point out of hatred or anger.

Of course they have every right to register when they want, and of course the Government should uphold this; I'm just making the point / simply saying it would be practical (not more rightful) to get it done earlier than the last minute, in the event of unknown / unforeseen problems.

Yes it may have been practical. But it's totally irrelevant and shouldn't mean people who were unable to register due to the site crashing should not be allowed to.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't see how your post is relevant?

(i.e. I don't see how your post is applicable.)

You were comparing registering to vote at the last minute to arriving for a coach journey at the last minute. The latter implies that there is some sort of hold-up or at least inconvenience for the other people who got there earlier. Someone registering to vote late does not negatively affect anyone else; you were't waiting for everybody to register so you could vote.

Your point was that people should do something earlier rather than later, which I would normally agree with. However, in this situation, that rule shouldn't apply. Due to it being done online and the deadline being over two weeks before the referendum, there is no difference whatsoever between someone registering last night to someone registering four months ago.
Some on the leave side are accusing the government of deliberately crashing the site last night. You almost couldn't make it up.
If you waited this long then you're a moron and you don't deserve a vote. There's no excuse so the deadline shouldn't be extended.
No it doesn't. The deadline is a deadline for a reason and you are fully entitled to register at any time before it.

It's not for arrogant sods like you to determine when someone should register within the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True
Reply 68
Original post by thunder_chunky
If you waited this long then you're a moron and you don't deserve a vote. There's no excuse so the deadline shouldn't be extended.

It has been.

To midnight Thursday 9th June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best argument I've heard for leaving:

"If the EU were a country applying to join itself it would be declined for not being democratic enough".

And that is exactly the problem with the EU.
This is why you never leave things to the last minuite.
Original post by newpersonage
If you left it until after seeing punch and judy (Farage and Cameron) you probably dont realise that this referendum is about ending self government in the UK for all future generations. You are registered now so please remember that most people support an imaginary EU where everyone wants to hold hands and love each other. The EU is not like that, instead imagine the AfD and Austrian Freedom Party and Front National forming a coalition in 10 years time that runs the EU. The UK has about 8.5% of the votes and there are almost no vetoes. When this happens remind yourself that you were responsible for the UK being steamrollered into a nightmare.

It is not about easy travel or holding hands, it is about saving future generations from European political volatility. Remember, the Croatians were ethnically cleansing in the 1990s and genocide was happening in living memory. Remain means bringing such violent political events to the UK without any means to resist.

Especially when the EU army is created, there will be no escape then.
Anyways it has been extended to the 9th June
Original post by Sephiroth
Best argument I've heard for leaving:

"If the EU were a country applying to join itself it would be declined for not being democratic enough".

And that is exactly the problem with the EU.

Except its stupid because the EU isn't a country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't try to register at all, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show :smile:
Some leave campaigners aren't happy with the registration extension as most late voters are young who are more likely to vote remain. That is a wonderful attitude to democratic principles they've got.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5495ca6-2d81-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc.html#axzz4B16sNpWz
Original post by jneill
It has been.

To midnight Thursday 9th June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well then, these idiots had better crack on then.
Reply 77
Original post by Drewski
You're on the roll twice?
That's not a good thing...

It is perfectly legal to be on the register at both term-time and vacation addresses. However, voting more than once in the same election is a serious offence. This means that:

* in the referendum you can only vote once, but can do so wherever is more convenient to you (and clearly it makes no difference to the result which one),

* in a general election you can only vote in one constituency - and you are entitled to choose tactically depending which constituency is more marginal (bear in mind, you can have a postal vote)

* if there happen to be parliamentary by-elections, you can vote in either place (possibly excluding by-elections in both places on the same day, but that is extremely unlikely)

* in local elections, I *think* you can vote in both places even if they are on the same day (assuming they are in different local authorities), but you ought to check
Original post by Alan I

* in local elections, I *think* you can vote in both places even if they are on the same day (assuming they are in different local authorities), but you ought to check

Yes that is correct and that extends to voting for say both the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Parliament.

I do not know whether in the European elections you can vote in both Peterborough and Paris
Original post by Quantex
Some leave campaigners aren't happy with the registration extension as most late voters are young who are more likely to vote remain. That is a wonderful attitude to democratic principles they've got.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5495ca6-2d81-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc.html#axzz4B16sNpWz

Indeed. Democratic... When it suits them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending