The Student Room Group

The real men step up please.

Scroll to see replies

All men are real men.
I'm a man too you know,

I go pee-pee standing up :smile:
Original post by JokesOnYoo
I think you are misunderstanding.
No one is saying that a real man is the wisest, the strongest, the smartest person on the planet.
Though a real man is strong, mentally and physically, wise and smart.

So by being the wise, strong, and smart (wow, new bonus feature!) young man you say you are, don't you feel that you also ought to be 'man' enough to confront your friends about how they annoy you? After all, this is how 'Alphas' manage to stay at the top of social hierarchy.
I understand that you are at complete liberty to just continue as you were, by enduring the crap from your so-called 'beta' friends, and then ***** about them here.
However, don't you think that a 6'1 boxer with 23 inch "really broad" shoulders (who is incidentally also a 'real man'), ought to set things straight if he doesn't like the way they are going?
Cut the pretentious crap, the 'alpha-beta' theory is *******s, at least on humans (the complex primates we are). So yes, do confront your friends, but not for a moment should you consider yourself as superior to them.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Whose side are you on you rat?!

Please refrain from name calling.
Original post by ssshah2
So by being the wise, strong, and smart (wow, new bonus feature!) young man you say you are, don't you feel that you also ought to be 'man' enough to confront your friends about how they annoy you? After all, this is how 'Alphas' manage to stay at the top of social hierarchy.
I understand that you are at complete liberty to just continue as you were, by enduring the crap from your so-called 'beta' friends, and then ***** about them here.
However, don't you think that a 6'1 boxer with 23 inch "really broad" shoulders (who is incidentally also a 'real man':wink:, ought to set things straight if he doesn't like the way they are going?
Cut the pretentious crap, the 'alpha-beta' theory is *******s, at least on humans (the complex primates we are). So yes, do confront your friends, but not for a moment should you consider yourself as superior to them.

I've confronted people before many times.
I am willing to die for my family and friends.
Yet you think I'm afraid to confront my friends, even if it means i will walk alone.
Bullsht or not, i only used it as a reference to describe a situation.
It is however true that, some people are better leaders than followers.
If I don't have all 20 characteristics of a man, am I then a woman? O.o
I think anyone that says "I'm a real man" is not a "real man".

You seem a bit immature, as do your friends. You'll get to a certain age and you'll realise having 21 inch shoulders is irrelevant, because you'll be mature enough and have the social skills so you never get into fights. Adults, or "real men" as you call them very rarely, if ever, get into fights - it's a kids game. (I'm talking street/drunken fights, not sport i.e. boxing etc.)

Being a mature student at university, I see this all the time. But people grow up a lot from 18-25+. I know I did. You think you're a real man now OP, but in a few years time you'll think, God I was a dick.
Whenever i make friends with beta males, they always seem to try and compete with me. I don't know if they get defensive because they're intimidated or for whatever reason. I'm 6'1 with 23inch really broad shoulders and I'm a boxer.
Im a real man, i don't like fake people. However, i seem to encounter numerous occasions where these beta males try to compete with me at everything, the funny thing is they end up copying my style.

They will try and exert power over me when girls are around, yet when its just me and him alone he's so polite, using his manners and stuff. hahahaha i find it so funny just thinking about it.

I never exert power over people unless it gets out of hand, i encourage people to do well, i motivate people, i help people improve, i don't insult others, i treat women and men nice. I don't care what others think of me. I don't use violence unless its totally necessary. I lead most of the time, however i do follow occasionally; thats because i know to be a good leader you also have to be a great follower.

Im not scared of many things, ill happily confront and call each and everyone of these guys out infront of their faces.

Some example:
when we're walking in a group, ill be carrying a football, then this one guy will say look x is carrying the ball for me i don't have to do anything

At times, i really do want to break their jaws, but i am able to control myself.

So, should i confront them if it gets out of hand? I don't like making people feel bad.
I can laugh at myself pretty well though so that helps.

thanks.

Aren't men by nature in general very competitive though?
Whenever i make friends with beta males, they always seem to try and compete with me. I don't know if they get defensive because they're intimidated or for whatever reason. I'm 6'1 with 23inch really broad shoulders and I'm a boxer.
Im a real man, i don't like fake people. However, i seem to encounter numerous occasions where these beta males try to compete with me at everything, the funny thing is they end up copying my style.

They will try and exert power over me when girls are around, yet when its just me and him alone he's so polite, using his manners and stuff. hahahaha i find it so funny just thinking about it.

I never exert power over people unless it gets out of hand, i encourage people to do well, i motivate people, i help people improve, i don't insult others, i treat women and men nice. I don't care what others think of me. I don't use violence unless its totally necessary. I lead most of the time, however i do follow occasionally; thats because i know to be a good leader you also have to be a great follower.

Im not scared of many things, ill happily confront and call each and everyone of these guys out infront of their faces.

Some example:
when we're walking in a group, ill be carrying a football, then this one guy will say look x is carrying the ball for me i don't have to do anything

At times, i really do want to break their jaws, but i am able to control myself.

So, should i confront them if it gets out of hand? I don't like making people feel bad.

thanks.

can sort of empathise. Never really the alpha male of the group but defo not beta becuase, im not a follower and i dont defer to anyone. Reasonably strong and stuff, that doesn't seem to make a difference to my interactions either way. My problem is that i divide opinions in my friendship groups a lot. I'm fairly eccentric, and i cannot deal with conversations that aren't debate or intellectual, so i don't get on with boring kinds of people. So i end up having a lot of ***** snipe at me in group situations, exerting power through group politics. I dont have the tools to deal with this **** becuase i never gossip, i dont talk **** about people, so i'm not even into the game they're using. It's always the weak men of a group, the group leaders tend to either love me or respect me.

Wasn't a problem at school because the people who liked me crowded around me but now im living with a group of 12 people, some of whom i have absolute respect for, and some of whom are just extremely boring people who cannot deal with anyone who isn't part of group think.

Hate not having the tools to deal with inferior people.
Original post by banterboy
can sort of empathise. Never really the alpha male of the group but defo not beta becuase, im not a follower and i dont defer to anyone. Reasonably strong and stuff, that doesn't seem to make a difference to my interactions either way. My problem is that i divide opinions in my friendship groups a lot. I'm fairly eccentric, and i cannot deal with conversations that aren't debate or intellectual, so i don't get on with boring kinds of people. So i end up having a lot of ***** snipe at me in group situations, exerting power through group politics. I dont have the tools to deal with this **** becuase i never gossip, i dont talk **** about people, so i'm not even into the game they're using. It's always the weak men of a group, the group leaders tend to either love me or respect me.

Wasn't a problem at school because the people who liked me crowded around me but now im living with a group of 12 people, some of whom i have absolute respect for, and some of whom are just extremely boring people who cannot deal with anyone who isn't part of group think.

Hate not having the tools to deal with inferior people.

A man who doesn't gossip will always be respected because he is trustworthy.
I would never tell a man anything if he is a gossiper.
Yeah i understand you, i really hate boring conversations about how X,Y,Z is a ***** etc.
But insulting others to make yourself look better is not wise.

How come you didn't acknowledge what I said?
Original post by ImNotSuperman
I think anyone that says "I'm a real man" is not a "real man".

You seem a bit immature, as do your friends. You'll get to a certain age and you'll realise having 21 inch shoulders is irrelevant, because you'll be mature enough and have the social skills so you never get into fights. Adults, or "real men" as you call them very rarely, if ever, get into fights - it's a kids game. (I'm talking street/drunken fights, not sport i.e. boxing etc.)

Being a mature student at university, I see this all the time. But people grow up a lot from 18-25+. I know I did. You think you're a real man now OP, but in a few years time you'll think, God I was a dick.

Its more often just called real. Having broader shoulders means that you're more intimidating. Its not irrelevant either, you can predict the level of testosterone from a man who has wide shoulders. Since the shoulders are dense in androgen receptors. Testosterone binds to these receptors. Never have i resorted to violence before a civil confrontation of words first.
Original post by xobeauty
How come you didn't acknowledge what I said?

Didn't see it, sorry.

I agree, generally it's a sign of insecurity unless you've inadvertently done something to annoy them personally
Its more often just called real. Having broader shoulders means that you're more intimidating. Its not irrelevant either, you can predict the level of testosterone from a man who has wide shoulders. Since the shoulders are dense in androgen receptors. Testosterone binds to these receptors. Never have i resorted to violence before a civil confrontation of words first.

No it doesn't
Didn't see it, sorry.

No probs
Original post by hezzlington
No it doesn't

Maybe not for you because you're a green giant yourself but yes bigger guys in general are more intimidating.
Original post by xobeauty
Maybe not for you because you're a green giant yourself but yes bigger guys in general are more intimidating.

Haha I'm only 6ft.

And I'd say bigger yeah, but he said broad shoulders. If you're 5ft with broad shoulders you won't be intimidating. If you are 6ft 4 with not so broad shoulders but you're aggressive and up for a fight then you'd probably be more intimidating.

Some example:

thanks.

Stopped reading when you called yourself a "real man".

A real man wouldnt be on some online forum trying to get validation from teenagers.

Quick Reply

Latest