The Student Room Group

My Mum does not think I will get into university and Im really disheartened/given up

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by highfly
I did not do well at GCSE and got ABBBBCCCCD I am retaking my double science and maths which I got a C in to improve my overall subject profile so hopefully I will end up with A*AABBBBBCC , alongside this I am taking my ASLevels in History,Sociology,English Literature and Philosophy. I really want to study law and am aiming for LSE, Kings,Bristol,Warwick and maybe Kent or Exter, I have extenuating circumstances for my gcses yet my mother still thinks I will be rejected by the likes of warwick and Bristol, she said I am 'Delusional' and makes fun of my uni choices saying I'm the outcast out of all the applicants so I will never get chosen. I have just sat my AS levels and am aiming for As and Bs or 3As and C, I feel like giving up. I booked uni open days to visit Warwick and Bristol however she doesn't even want to go to the uni open days with me, I feel really low and makes my negative depressing thoughts worse. Do I even stand a chance

Yes you do stand a chance. GCSEs may be of some importance but ultimately, it is your AS grades and your application overall that will help you secure an offer.
However, your GCSE grades are not that bad - but a grade A/B in GCSE English and Maths are required for some universities, ensure that you meet this.

Go to the open days without her, don't give up and make sure you take advantage of your attendance there - ask as many questions as you see fit.
Original post by highfly
I did not do well at GCSE and got ABBBBCCCCD I am retaking my double science and maths which I got a C in to improve my overall subject profile so hopefully I will end up with A*AABBBBBCC , alongside this I am taking my ASLevels in History,Sociology,English Literature and Philosophy. I really want to study law and am aiming for LSE, Kings,Bristol,Warwick and maybe Kent or Exter, I have extenuating circumstances for my gcses yet my mother still thinks I will be rejected by the likes of warwick and Bristol, she said I am 'Delusional' and makes fun of my uni choices saying I'm the outcast out of all the applicants so I will never get chosen. I have just sat my AS levels and am aiming for As and Bs or 3As and C, I feel like giving up. I booked uni open days to visit Warwick and Bristol however she doesn't even want to go to the uni open days with me, I feel really low and makes my negative depressing thoughts worse. Do I even stand a chance

Don't let your mother make you feel like that, just do your best to get A's at as and although I m not sure you'd be able to meet LSE's entry requirements, from a quick search the others look possible. You certainly aren't delusional. Just get the best grades you can, get to uni and get as far a way from your mother as possible :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Don't let your mother make you feel like that, just do your best to get A's at as and although I m not sure you'd be able to meet LSE's entry requirements, from a quick search the others look possible. You certainly aren't delusional. Just get the best grades you can, get to uni and get as far a way from your mother as possible :smile:

Thank you for your advice,I am still giving LSE(with extenuating circumstances for GCSE) a shot as I would like to see it as giving myself a generous allowance of applying to a uni which is similar to Cambridge but I really appreciate your comments
Reply 4
"If someone tells you it can't be done, smile and graciously agree. Then go work twice as hard to prove them wrong, twice as fast."
Need i say more?
Reply 5
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Yes you do stand a chance. GCSEs may be of some importance but ultimately, it is your AS grades and your application overall that will help you secure an offer.
However, your GCSE grades are not that bad - but a grade A/B in GCSE English and Maths are required for some universities, ensure that you meet this.

Go to the open days without her, don't give up and make sure you take advantage of your attendance there - ask as many questions as you see fit.

Thank you and maybe I will attend on my own, I know she doesn't want to come with me because I am an embarrassment
Original post by highfly
Thank you for your advice,I am still giving LSE(with extenuating circumstances for GCSE) a shot as I would like to see it as giving myself a generous allowance of applying to a uni which is similar to Cambridge but I really appreciate your comments

have you given them a call to ask specifically how they would view your ec's? might reassure you a bit.
Original post by highfly

Sounds like your mum is a dick. Go to the open days if you like, but they're not really necessary in my opinion. I got AAAABBBBBBC for GCSE and one E at A Level, I'm starting a chemistry BSc in September at the age of 24. I could have got in to uni back in 2011 through clearing but chose not to.

My advice is to spread you bets, apply to two good unis, two average/good and perhaps one that offers a foundation access course.
Reply 8
Original post by PATDLOL
"If someone tells you it can't be done, smile and graciously agree. Then go work twice as hard to prove them wrong, twice as fast."
Need i say more?

I've finished my AS levels so I can't do any more and but I am working hard for my GCSE Retakes so thank you
Reply 9
Original post by highfly

I cant really comment on the competitiveness of law courses so I wont. I want to apply for a course that is asking for B minimum at English and maths but I am required to get 3 A grades at A2. As long as you have what they want as a minimum I am sure you are in the running. I also don't want to be too openly critical of your mum I am sure she has her 'reasons' for making these comments because this is really about you and not her.

I do want to say that you have to have self confidence in yourself and have to keep moving forward. Talk things through with other adults that have a more balanced view of you, friend's parents are usually my best cheerleaders, friends, teachers. Don't be discouraged. Go to the open days and meet new people, tag along or take a friend with you. Don't forget to post back and let us know how you got on.
Original post by highfly
Thank you and maybe I will attend on my own, I know she doesn't want to come with me because I am an embarrassment

You are not an embarrassment; please don't let her cruel and untrue words get to you.
Do attend on your own - you'll enjoy the flexibility better anyway. Good luck, I hope you get there in the end.
Reply 11
have you given them a call to ask specifically how they would view your ec's? might reassure you a bit.

I have emailed the LSE and they replied saying that they will take any circumstances into consideration however in general if I retake my alevels it is highly unlikely I will be offered a place as they prefer good grades obtained the first time round
Reply 12
Original post by shreddingfish92
Sounds like your mum is a dick. Go to the open days if you like, but they're not really necessary in my opinion. I got AAAABBBBBBC for GCSE and one E at A Level, I'm starting a chemistry BSc in September at the age of 24. I could have got in to uni back in 2011 through clearing but chose not to.

My advice is to spread you bets, apply to two good unis, two average/good and perhaps one that offers a foundation access course.

I just feel like giving up
Original post by highfly
I have emailed the LSE and they replied saying that they will take any circumstances into consideration however in general if I retake my alevels it is highly unlikely I will be offered a place as they prefer good grades obtained the first time round

Ah i see. I agree with the other poster, you aren't an embarrassment at all and i attended all of my open days either alone or with a friend and i think that's a much better experience than with a parent anyway :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by coupezaj
I cant really comment on the competitiveness of law courses so I wont. I want to apply for a course that is asking for B minimum at English and maths but I am required to get 3 A grades at A2. As long as you have what they want as a minimum I am sure you are in the running. I also don't want to be too openly critical of your mum I am sure she has her 'reasons' for making these comments because this is really about you and not her.

I do want to say that you have to have self confidence in yourself and have to keep moving forward. Talk things through with other adults that have a more balanced view of you, friend's parents are usually my best cheerleaders, friends, teachers. Don't be discouraged. Go to the open days and meet new people, tag along or take a friend with you. Don't forget to post back and let us know how you got on.

I understand it is competitive and my dad is a solicitor at a magic circle law firm however my mum is now suggesting to do a conversion course but all I want to study is law
Reply 15
Ah i see. I agree with the other poster, you aren't an embarrassment at all and i attended all of my open days either alone or with a friend and i think that's a much better experience than with a parent anyway :smile:

Thank you for your support :smile:
Your mum sounds like an idiot

Your GCSE grades sound absolutely fine, and I'm sure you'll do amazing at your AS Levels. As soon as you get into uni she'll probably feel like an absolute d*** for making fun of you. Just prove her wrong and that you can do it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol trust me when i say it could be much worse.

I'd post on here but don't want social services contacting me lmao
Reply 18
Original post by ohhello92x
Your mum sounds like an idiot

Your GCSE grades sound absolutely fine, and I'm sure you'll do amazing at your AS Levels. As soon as you get into uni she'll probably feel like an absolute d*** for making fun of you. Just prove her wrong and that you can do it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so , she's been saying these comments for such a long time and keeps repeating that I don't stand a chance, it is all getting too much for me, I already have issues with how I feel and being low this is making it so much worse
Reply 19
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol trust me when i say it could be much worse.

I'd post on here but don't want social services contacting me lmao

Haha go on

Quick Reply

Latest