The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE German

How you did you find today's WJEC German exams? I did the higher reading and the foundation listening. It went well although the speaker's voice dragged forrr everrrr!
I was one of two people in both exams because only two people do German hence why I have several questions I couldn't ask more of my peers!

a) Were there any questions you didn't understand?
b) Was it hard?
c) Do you think the grade boundaries will be high or low?
d) Do you think you've passed?
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought one of the questions wasn't really clear. It said she went on holiday to Spain but the pictures were of a beach, people sat at a computer booking a holiday and people eating at a retaraunt, what did you put
I'm so so annoyed at myself ! I don't think I got anything more than a D in those papers and I've been predicted an A* since year 10! Worst listening paper ever and the reading wasn't much better:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by xmilyjoycx
I thought one of the questions wasn't really clear. It said she went on holiday to Spain but the pictures were of a beach, people sat at a computer booking a holiday and people eating at a retaraunt, what did you put

I agree, it wasn't very clear. I chose the picture of the beach because on the picture with the computer, the computer's screen said 'book' and the speaker said she went on holiday. What did you put?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by asdfghjklgcses
I'm so so annoyed at myself ! I don't think I got anything more than a D in those papers and I've been predicted an A* since year 10! Worst listening paper ever and the reading wasn't much better:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, it was rather hard! Good luck for results day! :smile:
I did the same papers as you! The one that got me on the listening paper was where they was staying with the auntie, like I knew the one on the right was a hotel but wasn't sure which one was the actual house?
Reply 6
Original post by OliviaBaggaley
I did the same papers as you! The one that got me on the listening paper was where they was staying with the auntie, like I knew the one on the right was a hotel but wasn't sure which one was the actual house?

That question caught me out too! I choose the house on the left instead of the middle option. I'm not sure which picture was meant to be the house, the middle one or the one on the left? What did you choose in the end?
Reply 7
If I remember correctly, I think she said "gesucht', which means she searched, so I think the computer screen was correct
Reply 8
Original post by cwason
If I remember correctly, I think she said "gesucht', which means she searched, so I think the computer screen was correct

I must have missed gesucht! I thought it said 'where did she go'? Maybe it said she booked it by searching (online) and went to a beach in Spain?

Oh well, I can't change it now :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Williams.a
I must have missed gesucht! I thought it said 'where did she go'? Maybe it said she booked it by searching (online) and went to a beach in Spain?

Oh well, I can't change it now :s-smilie:

So happy I changed my answer I ticked the box with the boy on the beach first than after hearing "gesucht" scribbled my tick out and went for the middle one.
Reply 10
Original post by Tinka99
So happy I changed my answer I ticked the box with the boy on the beach first than after hearing "gesucht" scribbled my tick out and went for the middle one.

Lucky! Does anyone have an (unofficial) mark scheme? I really want to see the answers!
Lucky! Does anyone have an (unofficial) mark scheme? I really want to see the answers!

I searched but could not find an unofficial mark scheme on here anywhere. I did foundation reading and listening so let me know if you do find a mark scheme anywhere I really want to know if I got my C.
Original post by OliviaBaggaley

It was the middle one , the smaller house.
That question caught me out too! I choose the house on the left instead of the middle option. I'm not sure which picture was meant to be the house, the middle one or the one on the left? What did you choose in the end?

I chose the left too!
Reply 14
Original post by Tinka99
I searched but could not find an unofficial mark scheme on here anywhere. I did foundation reading and listening so let me know if you do find a mark scheme anywhere I really want to know if I got my C.

How did you find the exam? Easy or hard etc?
Reply 15
Original post by laurayoung63
It was the middle one , the smaller house.

Thanks for letting me know! I guessed that question, what word / phrase made it the smaller house?
Reply 16
I'm gutted after that exam, I took higher tier exams in both reading and listening. My target is an A/A* but I've been getting A*s for the past 6 months in past papers. The listening was, hands down, the most ambiguous paper I've sat; I got so confused on the Aunt's place that I just ticked the left one and hoped for the best. Which questions did everyone else struggle in?
How did you find the exam? Easy or hard etc?

I found some bits of it hard especially that house question I could not differentiate
which one was which. I found the last 8 mark question on the listening a bit difficult and the recording was quite fast for me on the last question. I found foundation reading a bit difficult with the last two pages especially as I am not too good with German. Overall I still think I have a chance of getting a C as my writing assessments are both A* and speaking both B's and that's worth 60%.
Reply 18
Original post by Tinka99
I found some bits of it hard especially that house question I could not differentiate
which one was which. I found the last 8 mark question on the listening a bit difficult and the recording was quite fast for me on the last question. I found foundation reading a bit difficult with the last two pages especially as I am not too good with German. Overall I still think I have a chance of getting a C as my writing assessments are both A* and speaking both B's and that's worth 60%.

I found the foundation listening question hard too.
I found the higher tier listening exam to be the worst out of all the WJEC and Edexcel past papers I've done; I didn't like it at all. That being said, I really liked the higher tier reading exam!

For the holiday question, I think the computer screen was definitely the right answer because of the word gesucht.

Thanks for letting me know! I guessed that question, what word / phrase made it the smaller house?

It was the smaller house because it mentioned a Häuschen, which means 'cottage' or 'little house' (adding an umlaut and -chen to a word makes it diminutive/smaller e.g. Brot (bread) --> Brötchen (breadroll/small bread)).

Quick Reply

Latest