The Student Room Group

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by IH5976
Could they ask a question on my democracy had failed by 1933?

Yes they could

I would talk about;
The constitution ;
- Article 48
- Proportional Representation
The Great Depression
Lack of democratic tradition
Reply 401
Original post by cgureje
I really am not sure, but I don't think hitters appointment to power will come up because that came up last year
My teacher thinks it will be something to do with Weimar Republic tho

So nervous x

I have no clue either, I want opposition to come up but doubt it will.

And same, good luck x
Reply 402
in what was would a question on morale in WW2 come up?
i seriously don't understand ):
DOES ANYONE HAVE PLANS FOR THESE QUESTIONS? PLEASE SHARE THEM, I NEED HELP LMAO.

6) The main threat to the stability of Weimar republic in 1919-1923 came from the political violence of the extreme right.How far do you agree?

7) The terms of the Treaty of Versaille in 1919 explains the problems faced by the Weimar republic between 1919-1924. How far do you agree?

ALSO IS THIS QUESTION PRETTY MUCH EVALUATING THE GOLDEN YEARS QUESTION?

8) How far do you agree with the view that Germany experienced a period of political calm, economic development and social progress in 1925-1929?
Hey does anyone have a list of al the past paper questions in order ? Nd whats everyones prediction i have no clue ?
Reply 405
Original post by grassntai
DOES ANYONE HAVE PLANS FOR THESE QUESTIONS? PLEASE SHARE THEM, I NEED HELP LMAO.

6) The main threat to the stability of Weimar republic in 1919-1923 came from the political violence of the extreme right.How far do you agree?

7) The terms of the Treaty of Versaille in 1919 explains the problems faced by the Weimar republic between 1919-1924. How far do you agree?

8) How far do you agree with the view that Germany experienced a period of political calm, economic development and social progress in 1925-1929?

I can't help with the first two questions as I am struggling with those two as well. Although with number 8, its basically a Golden Years questions without using the term :smile: I've done an A3 sheet with all the political, social and economic aspects in that time period to help with a question like that. Hope this helps a little. :smile:
Original post by laxu79
I can't help with the first two questions as I am struggling with those two as well. Although with number 8, its basically a Golden Years questions without using the term :smile: I've done an A3 sheet with all the political, social and economic aspects in that time period to help with a question like that. Hope this helps a little. :smile:

I'm just stuck with what arguments to make for them. Would you say in both essays that the Extreme right were the biggest threat because they had the backing of the army and the elites?

What other factors would you also use? TOV, the WR's constitution itself, left initial threat, but right biggest threat??
Reply 407
What are the predictions for part A questions this year ?
Can anyone tell me what mark I need, give or take, for 118 UMS?
for 118 UMS you would require 66 raw marks :smile:
When talking about the Nazi consolidation of power, would you argue that they managed to consolidate power mainly because of support from the conservative elite or legality (i.e. the enabling act etc)?
Original post by etnaveduknow
Hey does anyone have a list of al the past paper questions in order ? Nd whats everyones prediction i have no clue ?

Here ya go
* ‘In the years 1900–1914, the impact of Germany’seconomic development was wholly positive.’ How far do you agree with this view?June 2015
* How far do you agree with the view that Hitler’sappointment as Chancellor in 1933 came about primarily as a result of themisjudgements of Weimar politicians in the years 1929–33? June 2015
* How far do you agree with the view that, in theyears 1919–29, the democratic experiment in Germany must be seen as a success? June 2014
* ‘Nazi war production in the years 1939–45 wasessentially inefficient.’ How far do you agree with this view? June 2014
* To what extent did the social and politicaltensions that existed within the Second Reich increase during the First WorldWar? June 2013
* How far do you agree that the new WeimarRepublic was seriously threatened by political extremists in the years 1919–24?June 2013
* To what extent was Germany a parliamentarydemocracy in the years 1900–14? June 2012
* ‘The transformation in the fortunes of the NaziParty in the years 1930–33 was largely because of Hitler’s remarkable talentsas a politician.’ How far do you agree with this opinion? June 2012
* To what extent was the effective government ofGermany in the years 1919–33 handicapped by the nature of the WeimarConstitution? June 2011
* To what extent did the Nazi Regime face seriousopposition within Germany during the years 1939–45? June2011
* ‘Hitler became Chancellor in January 1933because he was leader of the most popular party in Germany.’ How far do youagree with this opinion? June 2010
* ‘The Final Solution evolved because of thechaotic nature of the Nazi Regime in the years 1939–42.’ How far do you agreewith this opinion? June 2010

I'm thinking Final Solution and Weimar Golden Years will come up.
(edited 7 years ago)

basically for 6 and 7 you just need to talk about threats to the weimar republic so left right, treaty versailles and constitution itself, and how it threatened stability! i.e. red bavaria sparticits, kapp-lutwitz putsch etc

8) essentially yes! you just have to talk about politics economics and social stuff in the golden years under stresemann :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jodie1012
basically for 6 and 7 you just need to talk about threats to the weimar republic so left right, treaty versailles and constitution itself.

8) essentially yes! you just have to talk about politics economics and social stuff in the golden years under steersman :smile:

Thank you for the reply. Would the main argument you make for both 6 and 7 be that the extreme right poised the biggest threat/problem because they were supported by influential elites (judges) and were essentially the pillars that supported the WR e.g. army/military strength?

And ok thank you :smile:
Thank you for the reply. Would the main argument you make for both 6 and 7 be that the extreme right poised the biggest threat/problem because they were supported by influential elites (judges) and were essentially the pillars that supported the WR e.g. army/military strength?

And ok thank you :smile:

personally i always tend to go for treaty of versailles as being the main threat as it caused the threats from the right and caused all the issues as weimar was created about of diktat and stab in the back myth and revolution from above, but its up to you what you choose!!
Reply 415
Original post by Beans4Brekky
Can anyone tell me what mark I need, give or take, for 118 UMS?

In this exam, for 118 UMS you need about 68/ 70 raw marks

6. you want to look at political violence from the extreme right and compare this to other threats that prohibited stability in the Weimar Republic in these years and come to a conclusion on the extent to which the extreme right was the main contributor to political instability.

a plan would be something like this:

Points to argue that violence from the political right was the main threat:

Kapp-Luttwitz Putsch 1920 - General von Luttwitz a figurehead in the Freikorps and Wolfgang Kapp (right wing journalist) plotted against the government due to the humiliation of the Treaty of Versailles - Germany was required to reduce its land forces to a maximum of 100,000 men. The initial deadline was set for 31 March 1920 (later extended to the end of the year). Freikorps units were expected to be disbanded. Since the reason for their creation—internal repression—had become obsolete with the crushing of the leftist uprisings, they were becoming a threat to the government. Some senior military commanders had started discussing the possibility of a coup as early as July 1919. However the Putsch failed after huge strikes in Berlin - not winning over the civil service or financial institutions.

from 1920-1922 354/375 political assassinations were carried out by right wing groups. Much more of a serious threat compared to the left.

Erzberger, foreign minister Walter Rathenau and USPD leader Karl Gareis all assassinated by right wing groups, particularly the consul organisation (a freikorp unit that disbanded after the fail of the Kapp Putsch).

Judiciary sympathetic to right wing and anti-republic feeling and they gave the right wing an air of semi-legal authority for example the law for the protection of the republic 1922 strengthened state powers against conspiracy but was used mostly against the left wing.

Freikorps had almost 200 paramilitary groups by 1919 and became a law unto themselves - anti weimar attitude - 'white terror'

army felt betrayed by 'november criminals' and treaty of versailles terms - they readily stamped down left wing uprisings but with the right wing Kapp Putsch they were reluctant to fire on comrades - sympathy for their cause, Von Seeckt refused to let troops fire.

The Beer Hall Putsch, Hitlers punishment extremely little considering the high treason committed, released after only 9 months.

there are probably more things to include here

then argument against the right being the main threat:

also significant threats/uprisings from the left > spartacist uprising, red bavaria, ruhr revolution but less of a serious threat compared to the right

there were other threats to the Weimar republic, such as the constituion itself - fatally flawed? lack of legitimacy, very short governments and difficulty of coalitions as parties could not cooperate on both foreign and domestic policy leading to almost 1 government per year

also 1923 financial crisis > hyperinflation and economic difficulties threatened the stability.

conclude: left wing not a serious threat, constitution also not the main threat as many parts were successful just misused, also article 48 used to help put down the munich putsch for example. Hence right wing political violence can be seen as the most significant threat during this time period...

I'd need to look at question 7 for a bit.

question 8 - yes this is more or less evaluating the golden years.

Political calm? - yes in comparison to the first five years and the five years that followed, in isolation was it politically calm? no. between 1923-1930 there were 7 different governments - the coalition system simply did not work given the nature of the parties involved for example.

Economic development? - to a degree, and in the short term. But was it sustainable in the long run? no. Were all economic problems solved? no, far from it as many problems existed including unemployment, decrease in world trade prices (Germany relied on export led growth). Also the Dawes plan led to great reliance on the US - what happened later with the financial crisis shows that this was not ideal. But, hyperinflation solved with rentenmark and reichsbank, production increased to pre war levels....national wages increased etc....

Social progress? improvements in welfare, housing and health, more permissive society - e.g. gay life flourished in Berlin % of women in employment rose, but attitudes to women and their role in society remained the same. Most societal changes concentrated in Berlin - little change in other places. Not sure if you talk about cultural changes or not here..
Original post by AJC1997
6. you want to look at political violence from the extreme right and compare this to other threats that prohibited stability in the Weimar Republic in these years and come to a conclusion on the extent to which the extreme right was the main contributor to political instability.

a plan would be something like this:

Points to argue that violence from the political right was the main threat:

Kapp-Luttwitz Putsch 1920 - General von Luttwitz a figurehead in the Freikorps and Wolfgang Kapp (right wing journalist) plotted against the government due to the humiliation of the Treaty of Versailles - Germany was required to reduce its land forces to a maximum of 100,000 men. The initial deadline was set for 31 March 1920 (later extended to the end of the year). Freikorps units were expected to be disbanded. Since the reason for their creation—internal repression—had become obsolete with the crushing of the leftist uprisings, they were becoming a threat to the government. Some senior military commanders had started discussing the possibility of a coup as early as July 1919. However the Putsch failed after huge strikes in Berlin - not winning over the civil service or financial institutions.

from 1920-1922 354/375 political assassinations were carried out by right wing groups. Much more of a serious threat compared to the left.

Erzberger, foreign minister Walter Rathenau and USPD leader Karl Gareis all assassinated by right wing groups, particularly the consul organisation (a freikorp unit that disbanded after the fail of the Kapp Putsch).

Judiciary sympathetic to right wing and anti-republic feeling and they gave the right wing an air of semi-legal authority for example the law for the protection of the republic 1922 strengthened state powers against conspiracy but was used mostly against the left wing.

Freikorps had almost 200 paramilitary groups by 1919 and became a law unto themselves - anti weimar attitude - 'white terror'

army felt betrayed by 'november criminals' and treaty of versailles terms - they readily stamped down left wing uprisings but with the right wing Kapp Putsch they were reluctant to fire on comrades - sympathy for their cause, Von Seeckt refused to let troops fire.

The Beer Hall Putsch, Hitlers punishment extremely little considering the high treason committed, released after only 9 months.

there are probably more things to include here

then argument against the right being the main threat:

also significant threats/uprisings from the left > spartacist uprising, red bavaria, ruhr revolution but less of a serious threat compared to the right

there were other threats to the Weimar republic, such as the constituion itself - fatally flawed? lack of legitimacy, very short governments and difficulty of coalitions as parties could not cooperate on both foreign and domestic policy leading to almost 1 government per year

also 1923 financial crisis > hyperinflation and economic difficulties threatened the stability.

conclude: left wing not a serious threat, constitution also not the main threat as many parts were successful just misused, also article 48 used to help put down the munich putsch for example. Hence right wing political violence can be seen as the most significant threat during this time period...

I'd need to look at question 7 for a bit.

question 8 - yes this is more or less evaluating the golden years.

Political calm? - yes in comparison to the first five years and the five years that followed, in isolation was it politically calm? no. between 1923-1930 there were 7 different governments - the coalition system simply did not work given the nature of the parties involved for example.

Economic development? - to a degree, and in the short term. But was it sustainable in the long run? no. Were all economic problems solved? no, far from it as many problems existed including unemployment, decrease in world trade prices (Germany relied on export led growth). Also the Dawes plan led to great reliance on the US - what happened later with the financial crisis shows that this was not ideal. But, hyperinflation solved with rentenmark and reichsbank, production increased to pre war levels....national wages increased etc....

Social progress? improvements in welfare, housing and health, more permissive society - e.g. gay life flourished in Berlin % of women in employment rose, but attitudes to women and their role in society remained the same. Most societal changes concentrated in Berlin - little change in other places. Not sure if you talk about cultural changes or not here..

Thank you! You're a LEGEND
I think it's almost a given that we can expect a 30 marker on either Golden Years or Final Solution so is anyone up for sharing some resources/revision they have on these two? I've gone over my notes so much it'd be nice to see some fresh resources. Thanks in advance
Can anyone give me factors and evidence for these questions:1) transformation in fortunes of nazi party in 1930-33. 2)was 2nd reich autocracy or not? 3)W.R survival 4)W.R failure 5) Final solution planned/unplanned 6)ww2 oppositon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending