The Student Room Group

worried that i am being an idiot

Basically, I have no idea what to do with my future and whenever I think about it just stresses me out. I have litreally been researching courses and thinking about this since like January, I am in year 12 btw.

In a few weeks we have to write out personal statements in tutor, and im still unsure what course to do I settled with medicine because of the following reasons: "I dont mind learning about the human body", "prestige" "job security" "pay" "I find it most appealing but dont really care about it" "ill be an idiot not to do this opportunity"

I have 2 exams left and I doubt I will be able to get perfect AS grades, tbh i have no idea how well or bad I have done in these exams:angry:. I literally need to know my AS grades before I know wtf can I do with my future.

Also im confused, some people say you have to follow your passion, do something you love (for example medicine). Other people say you have to work hard and become good at something in order to build a passion for it.

Okay so i think I may have found what I like but it is less secure than medicine, the job is more competitive, less pay, not a stable career. Logically being a doctor would be 100 times better.

So then yea "follow your heart" "dont do medicine if you dont want to otherwise you will hate it". Okay but then I think about the people in dead end jobs and jobs i would find boring. People who would like to be in my position to apply for medicine,STEM stuff. Makes me think am I being immature,ungrateful etc.

Essentially I think that whatever route I take I will just end up ****ing up my life. So what do i do lol
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I have no idea what to do with my future and whenever I think about it just stresses me out. I have litreally been researching courses and thinking about this since like January, I am in year 12 btw.

In a few weeks we have to write out personal statements in tutor, and im still unsure what course to do I settled with medicine because of the following reasons: "I dont mind learning about the human body", "prestige" "job security" "pay" "I find it most appealing but dont really care about it" "ill be an idiot not to do this opportunity"

I have 2 exams left and I doubt I will be able to get perfect AS grades, tbh i have no idea how well or bad I have done in these exams:angry:. I literally need to know my AS grades before I know wtf can I do with my future.

Also im confused, some people say you have to follow your passion, do something you love (for example medicine). Other people say you have to work hard and become good at something in order to build a passion for it.

Okay so i think I may have found what I like but it is less secure than medicine, the job is more competitive, less pay, not a stable career. Logically being a doctor would be 100 times better.

So then yea "follow your heart" "dont do medicine if you dont want to otherwise you will hate it". Okay but then I think about the people in dead end jobs and jobs i would find boring. People who would like to be in my position to apply for medicine,STEM stuff. Makes me think am I being immature,ungrateful etc.

Essentially I think that whatever route I take I will just end up ****ing up my life. So what do i do lol

PM me and i'll try and help you :smile: I'm in a similar position, and also Y12
What is the job you found that you think you might like?

If all else fails just do what most people in your situation to: pick your favourite subject and study it at degree level
Reply 3
Original post by Runescapian

If all else fails just do what most people in your situation to: pick your favourite subject and study it at degree level

I wouldn't recommend uni tbh... too much debt if you're not 100% absolutely sure what to do; it's a massive commitment
Reply 4

something with the game industry, thinking journalism
Choose the thing that you want to do if you believe that you can do it. Whether its competitive and has a low pay not, if you believe in yourself and if you know that you'll be successful then go for it because every single job has higher positions that get more pay and if you know you'll be really good at it then do it. However, if you have doubts about your capability then you may want to reconsider and think more logically just in case
Reply 6
Original post by taz_yoongi
Choose the thing that you want to do if you believe that you can do it. Whether its competitive and has a low pay not, if you believe in yourself and if you know that you'll be successful then go for it because every single job has higher positions that get more pay and if you know you'll be really good at it then do it. However, if you have doubts about your capability then you may want to reconsider and think more logically just in case

I agree; make sure you have a back-up plan!!
Original post by 09HB
I wouldn't recommend uni tbh... too much debt if you're not 100% absolutely sure what to do; it's a massive commitment

That's true, might be better off taking a gap year to have more time to figure out what you want to do
Reply 8
That's true, might be better off taking a gap year to have more time to figure out what you want to do

...if you have the money...
Don't sweat it. If you don't know what you want to do, don't do something you are unsure of. I did that and 16 years out of university I am finally doing something I want to do in my life. If you are unsure, then do nothing. Finish your A-levels. Get good results. Then get a job, go travelling, have fun, set up a business, learn Gaelic. Whatever. But seriously, don't rush such an important decision. You have the rest of your life ahead of you. Putting off university for a year or two won't make a jot of difference in the long run.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending