The Student Room Group

The New A-Level Specs

As most of the exams for the new specs for a levels have gone already how do people feel about the new spec what do you think are the pros and cons the positives and negatives of it
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
As most of the exams for the new specs for a levels have gone already how do people feel about the new spec what do you think are the pros and cons the positives and negatives of it

There is nothing good about the new A-levels.
Original post by Someboady
There is nothing good about the new A-levels.

lolol well i know might seem that way alothugh one thing is clear im atleast glad grades i get this year doesn't carry over to next year (although i still want pretty good grades) but yeah who knows
Reply 3
Every new spec exam has been horrendous so far :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I like that fact that are grades aren't carried and we only do 3 exams rather than 4 if we redo. It's better as it's fair and more realistic. I prefer the new system.
I'm in the last year on the old spec, currently sitting my A2s. I thank God every day I wasn't born a year later. You poor buggers.
Original post by OGGUS
I like that fact that are grades aren't carried and we only do 3 exams rather than 4 if we redo. It's better as it's fair and more realistic. I prefer the new system.

good points though how you finding the current exams?
Reply 7
Original post by 98matt
Every new spec exam has been horrendous so far :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exam boards and what subjects?
Reply 8
good points though how you finding the current exams?

Well I've done both paper 1 for chem and physics and they were fine.
Paper 2 for physics is tomorrow
Paper 2 for chemistry is the day after tomorrow.
So there's not much time.:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing all three sciences, so for me, the one and only good thing is that there are no practical exams. Rather than there being an exam in which you have to carry out experiments and process the data, you just do practicals throughout the year and get assessed on them as you go. It's a pass/fail, so you just need to get enough skills down.

I don't know about other subjects though. The new spec is a lot harder.
Original post by OGGUS
Well I've done both paper 1 for chem and physics and they were fine.
Paper 2 for physics is tomorrow
Paper 2 for chemistry is the day after tomorrow.
So there's not much time.:frown:

ha ikr although i cant wait to get chem over with thank God i dont do physics though
Reply 11
ha ikr although i cant wait to get chem over with thank God i dont do physics though

Physics can be a nightmare:frown: And same can't wait for them to be over.
Original post by JustJusty
I'm doing all three sciences, so for me, the one and only good thing is that there are no practical exams. Rather than there being an exam in which you have to carry out experiments and process the data, you just do practicals throughout the year and get assessed on them as you go. It's a pass/fail, so you just need to get enough skills down.

I don't know about other subjects though. The new spec is a lot harder.

yeah i also like the fact that we just have to do six practicals and not have to worry about stuff like isas like we did in gcse although they come up in the exams :/
Reply 13
Original post by OGGUS
What exam boards and what subjects?

WJEC chemistry & physics both unit 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah i also like the fact that we just have to do six practicals and not have to worry about stuff like isas like we did in gcse although they come up in the exams :/

We have to do 12 in Biology and Chemistry (OCR), and six per year in Physics (AQA), but basically yeah.
The assessments at GCSE were a pain, and I suck at practicals, so this is a good way of doing things :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by 98matt
WJEC chemistry & physics both unit 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my friends did that in Wales, do you live in England or Wales?
Reply 16
Wales - the chemistry exam was really bad. I heard the two biology exams were even worse :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustJusty
We have to do 12 in Biology and Chemistry (OCR), and six per year in Physics (AQA), but basically yeah.
The assessments at GCSE were a pain, and I suck at practicals, so this is a good way of doing things :smile:

yeah 6 pear yer so total a level we hav 12 and yeah i hate the stupid analysis stuff

Quick Reply

Latest