The Student Room Group

I failed my English exam :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
No worries i should have given up ages ago.

you don't need gcses to get a job.
Reply 41
Original post by sherlockfan
Thanks for your support.
I have depression and the meds I'm on don't help. I'm not that intelligent anyway but now I can't concentrate at all.

You're most welcome anytime! :smile:

Firstly, I just would like to remind you that I'm no wizard to give you some miracle cure, however I want you to know that whatever I tell you is coming from my own personal experience with others and is therefore 100% accurate.

I know I'm probably going to either sound like a physician or your mother here and you're most likely going to be very frustrated with hearing the same words repeated again. However please don't take the importance of these medications lightly. I can guarantee you that they will always work; please trust me. The only condition that must be met on your part would be to always keep to the dosage requirement everyday, and the key here is continuity. Remember the effects are very gradual and won't be shown straight away, therefore you must force yourself to think that YES they will work! I'm really not trying to create a fairy tale here, because I truly understand things are easier said than done, but all I want you to do is try your hardest and never give up.

It is also important to note that IF after at least 6 weeks they truly aren't effective (which may even be the current situation if you have been taking the correct dosage all along), please do see your doctor because there are literally so many types, and it can sometimes work a bit like trial and error, where only certain medications will work with different people.

I know I'm digressing completely here from the central subject of this thread. However I would like to highlight the main point I'm trying to make. I feel it's no point trying to retake if you would be subject to the same issue again. It is much more effective to tackle the root of the problem, and hence I strongly believe if you can take action to improve your concentration (with the help of medications that WILL be effective eventually), you are much more likely to succeed the second time round. Not only will increased concentration allow you to finish within the time frame in exams, but it will also help you now because it means you are able to do the maximum amount of revision possible, so that thinking faster may be made possible.

Time is gold now and I repeat, it is extremely important to do whatever it takes to at least reduce the effect of the root problem immediately. This way you will have plenty of time to be fully prepared for your next exam. Listen, I know you CAN do this and please can you never doubt your intelligence because trust me I have a good instinct with finding what really lies behind the scenes. :wink:

Please listen to my advice and do hunt me down with questions. I'm more than happy to help. Wishing you the best of luck! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
You don't know that you failed it! You might be ok, wait for the results.
You clearly demonstrate you aren't capable of handling such an exam. Truthfully this is am exam is piss easy I spent 2 weeks most spent 4 weeks and got As. If you did everything and know your brain is slow well what else can you do. You won't get top grades on this paper. Thank gentics for ****ing you over and do something easier.
Original post by I <3 WORK

Firstly, I just would like to remind you that I'm no wizard to give you some miracle cure, however I want you to know that whatever I tell you is coming from my own personal experience with others and is therefore 100% accurate.

I know I'm probably going to either sound like a physician or your mother here and you're most likely going to be very frustrated with hearing the same words repeated again. However please don't take the importance of these medications lightly. I can guarantee you that they will always work; please trust me. The only condition that must be met on your part would be to always keep to the dosage requirement everyday, and the key here is continuity. Remember the effects are very gradual and won't be shown straight away, therefore you must force yourself to think that YES they will work! I'm really not trying to create a fairy tale here, because I truly understand things are easier said than done, but all I want you to do is try your hardest and never give up.

It is also important to note that IF after at least 6 weeks they truly aren't effective (which may even be the current situation if you have been taking the correct dosage all along), please do see your doctor because there are literally so many types, and it can sometimes work a bit like trial and error, where only certain medications will work with different people.

I know I'm digressing completely here from the central subject of this thread. However I would like to highlight the main point I'm trying to make. I feel it's no point trying to retake if you would be subject to the same issue again. It is much more effective to tackle the root of the problem, and hence I strongly believe if you can take action to improve your concentration (with the help of medications that WILL be effective eventually), you are much more likely to succeed the second time round. Not only will increased concentration allow you to finish within the time frame in exams, but it will also help you now because it means you are able to do the maximum amount of revision possible, so that thinking faster may be made possible.

Time is gold now and I repeat, it is extremely important to do whatever it takes to at least reduce the effect of the root problem immediately. This way you will have plenty of time to be fully prepared for your next exam. Listen, I know you CAN do this and please can you never doubt your intelligence because trust me I have a good instinct with finding what really lies behind the scenes. :wink:

Please listen to my advice and do hunt me down with questions. I'm more than happy to help. Wishing you the best of luck! :h:

That's cute but if this person can magically do do it then it means everyone can get the top grades which would mean nothing.
Original post by I <3 WORK

I know you mean well but I've been on antidepressants for years now and none of them have worked and they have even worsened my concentration. I don't think there's some miracle cure for it and that I will suddenly get better.
Original post by IHatePsychology
You clearly demonstrate you aren't capable of handling such an exam. Truthfully this is am exam is piss easy I spent 2 weeks most spent 4 weeks and got As. If you did everything and know your brain is slow well what else can you do. You won't get top grades on this paper. Thank gentics for ****ing you over and do something easier.

Wow you're quite a nasty person aren't you.
Frankly your boasting about your grade and how easy you found it doesn't impress me much. Lots of people get As so it doesn't mean much. Don't be such a cock.
Wow you're quite a nasty person aren't you.
Frankly your boasting about your grade and how easy you found it doesn't impress me much. Lots of people get As so it doesn't mean much. Don't be such a cock.

Read your own damn posts. People gave you amazing advice yet you completely ignore it. Don't be a dick to them if you don't want me to be to you.
Original post by IHatePsychology
Read your own damn posts. People gave you amazing advice yet you completely ignore it. Don't be a dick to them if you don't want me to be to you.

And yet you're the only one being incredibly rude.. I haven't been rude to anybody.
Why the hell has this been moved to English and linguistics??
Original post by Platopus
You don't know that you failed it! You might be ok, wait for the results.

I can't see how I would have passed :frown:
Reply 51
I know you mean well but I've been on antidepressants for years now and none of them have worked and they have even worsened my concentration. I don't think there's some miracle cure for it and that I will suddenly get better.

Listen, please don't think I'm being like one of those fairy-tale story tellers by thinking too idealistically. What you say is completely true and I never believe this to work like a 'miracle cure'. However I urge you please to understand that even if you have tried many treatments or different types of medications, please keep persevering by returning to your doctor for another type. I have strong belief that this will work for you eventually, and when I say TRUST me please do.

I have a friend for instance who has been suffering for many years, and imagine she had gone through 20 different types of medication, until the 21st worked for her, and now thankfully she is slowly being taken off the medication. It is a complete myth to think that these medications are just 'temporary', because they truly do cure, even if it means you have to use trial and error to make it work.

Once again I would like to reiterate that I'm NOT saying these medications will suddenly make you feel better because no they won't, and ironically if that does happen it's a sign that your medication is in fact not working. Rather, I really don't want you giving up trying, because I feel you have great potential with the condition you have and I know that it can be treatable. It's far from being easy of course and I totally support the idea that not everything will work straight away, but like I say please NEVER stop trying, whatever it takes.

Good luck! :smile:
I can't see how I would have passed :frown:

Either way, upsetting yourself over it now won't change anything. Try not to worry. Whatever happens, it's not the end of the world X
Either way, upsetting yourself over it now won't change anything. Try not to worry. Whatever happens, it's not the end of the world X

I suppose not.
It will have been a waste of a whole year, though.
I suppose not.
It will have been a waste of a whole year, though.

I know how you feel and it's a horrible feeling. I'm 99.9% sure I failed my last two A-level exams (issues with misreading the title of essay questions) and if I have I will have "wasted" the last two years of my life. But, I've decided that I need to try and move on, at least for now because there's really nothing else I can do.
I know how you feel and it's a horrible feeling. I'm 99.9% sure I failed my last two A-level exams (issues with misreading the title of essay questions) and if I have I will have "wasted" the last two years of my life. But, I've decided that I need to try and move on, at least for now because there's really nothing else I can do.

sorrry to hear that, it would be terrible to fail on a technicality like that.

anyone know what day the gcse results come out?

I hope not Platopus. Vlearly ntohing you cna do, but if your results are not what you need, then I would resit.
I hope not Platopus. Vlearly ntohing you cna do, but if your results are not what you need, then I would resit.

Thanks but I'm not resisting no matter what I get. Can't put myself through that.
Thanks but I'm not resisting no matter what I get. Can't put myself through that.

Well see what you get first.
Well see what you get first.

I've just spent this morning crying my heart out over this. So, I'm sorry but I just can't face the prospect of going through it again. I'll take what I can get in clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest