The Student Room Group

2016 Unofficial M1 Mark Scheme? 2016

Scroll to see replies

For question 4, for the graph I did everything, except the two lines I drew did not intersect, only met at 40 seconds, how many marks would I expect to get?
For question 4, you didn't need to put t=40 right because you wouldn't know that from the first part of the question?
Original post by CaiusMartius
For question 4, you didn't need to put t=40 right because you wouldn't know that from the first part of the question?

That's right, it won't be on the sketch as we get the distance XY in the next part of the question. But we would need to get it for the second part.

Original post by HoldtheDoor
For question 4, for the graph I did everything, except the two lines I drew did not intersect, only met at 40 seconds, how many marks would I expect to get?

1 mark, a maximum of 2 marks I would say. The fact that they don't intersect would contradict the fact that they would have travelled the same distance from XY
Original post by AMarques
Attached are my solutions to the paper in pdf format. If there any mistakes please do tell me!

thanks, ive tried to attach it to the original post but it wont upload atm for some reason, ill try again in a few minutes!
If you got d=1.6m and m=66 because you used the wrong distance initiall but did then working correctly, how many marsk would you grt?
Attached are my solutions to the paper in pdf format. If there any mistakes please do tell me!

For Question 7(a) I managed to work out the magnitude of F2 using sin and cos angles and it turns out the magnitude is right. Would i lose all 7 marks?

Also for Question 2(b) I used R - 0.5g = 0.5a instead

How many marks do you think i'd lose in total? these are the only mistakes i did
Original post by KloppOClock
thanks, ive tried to attach it to the original post but it wont upload atm for some reason, ill try again in a few minutes!

Just noticed a few typos.

Here is a more updated version
Original post by patel123
If you got d=1.6m and m=66 because you used the wrong distance initiall but did then working correctly, how many marsk would you grt?

I would hazard a guess of you losing a maximum of 4 marks. If your method was right then you would get follow through throughout. Again, I'm not too sure.

Original post by Kay Fearn
For Question 7(a) I managed to work out the magnitude of F2 using sin and cos angles and it turns out the magnitude is right. Would i lose all 7 marks?

Also for Question 2(b) I used R - 0.5g = 0.5a instead

How many marks do you think i'd lose in total? these are the only mistakes i did

If for F_2 you got the same coefficients for i and j then you would get the answer, they never specified a specific method, so that method could be also correct.

You could potentially have lost 3/2 marks on that since you didn't consider the brick.
Reply 288
For Question 7a, if I used a diagram and the sine rule in order to work out the magnitude of F2, but then did not work it out in vector form, how many marks would I pick up there?
Thank you! Let's hope I fall the right side of the boundary 😊
ALL ANSWERS HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED - CLICK ON THE MODEL ANSWERS TAB!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

How many marks should I give myself?

Spoiler

Question 1: (10 marks)

Spoiler

Question 2: (6 marks)

Spoiler

Question 3: (7 marks)

Spoiler

Question 4: (12 marks)

Spoiler

Question 5: (10 marks)

Spoiler

Question 6: (7 marks)

Spoiler

Question 7: (11 marks)

Spoiler

Question 8: (12 marks)

Spoiler

Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images)

Spoiler

Question Bank: (simplified)

Spoiler

If you want to try and calculate your UMS score, try this:

Spoiler

I hope you all did well!

you are amazing! hope you have done as well in all your other exams
I have gotten everything else correct but there is one thing bugging me, in question 1 I wanted to get it over and done with fast so I did what I never did before and I left p and q in the r1 = r0 +vt form, would I lose marks for not simplifying that or does it still count? After all it is the same thing...
Original post by Ronnie S
I have gotten everything else correct but there is one thing bugging me, in question 1 I wanted to get it over and done with fast so I did what I never did before and I left p and q in the r1 = r0 +vt form, would I lose marks for not simplifying that or does it still count? After all it is the same thing...

you can answer it like that
I would hazard a guess of you losing a maximum of 4 marks. If your method was right then you would get follow through throughout. Again, I'm not too sure.

If for F_2 you got the same coefficients for i and j then you would get the answer, they never specified a specific method, so that method could be also correct.

You could potentially have lost 3/2 marks on that since you didn't consider the brick.

Ahh that's so annoying! At first I said R - 1.5g = 1.5a but after reading the question carefully it said 'force exerted on the scale pan by the brick' so i changed it because in other questions where the mass of the object is used it's always 'force exerted on the brick by the scale pan'
Guys for the moments question I did everything right except for right at the end instead of doing (3/2) / (5/4) to get D as 1.2 I did it the opposite way round and got 0.83333 because I was really pressed for time and I lost focus

Im so mad because this means it screwed up my next question as well !! :frown:
Will I get ECF maybe? How many marks do you think I will l lose for that simple mistake?
Original post by ifailedmygcse
Guys for the moments question I did everything right except for right at the end instead of doing (3/2) / (5/4) to get D as 1.2 I did it the opposite way round and got 0.83333 because I was really pressed for time and I lost focus

Im so mad because this means it screwed up my next question as well !! :frown:
Will I get ECF maybe? How many marks do you think I will l lose for that simple mistake?

youd lose at least 2 marks from not getting the right m and d. if you subbed your d into an equation to find m you would get a mark and im not sure what the other mark is for, so maybe 2-3 marks lost
Reply 296
For question 2b, didn't it say the force exerted by the brick on the pan not the other way round?
I drew the graph in Q4a as if the assumption was t was bigger than 25 and the car travelling at 40m s-1 started deceleration later than the other car? I then got the correct answer for the second bit at 8.75s. Then, I drew a modified graph and stated it with the correct lines and correct deceleration times later on. Would I get the marks for question 4a?
Original post by lordrohan731
I drew the graph in Q4a as if the assumption was t was bigger than 25 and the car travelling at 40m s-1 started deceleration later than the other car? I then got the correct answer for the second bit at 8.75s. Then, I drew a modified graph and stated it with the correct lines and correct deceleration times later on. Would I get the marks for question 4a?

yes, marks are generally for the correct shape of each line and the correct values
yes, marks are generally for the correct shape of each line and the correct values

Ok so the length of each line doesn't matter in proportion to each other? Thanks anyway for answering my questions and the unofficial mark scheme. Think I dropped 5-6 marks in total so fingers crossed, 90 ums.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending