The Student Room Group

How to run on 6/7 hours of sleep for a day?

Okay so for some this may be normal and others this might sound ridiculous and they may say sleep > no sleep esp during exam period but I have done NO revision for my chemistry exam this friday due to revision for biology which I just sat yesterday. Today...wasted day (hay fever was BAD).. So yeah tomorrow new fresh day. I plan on getting up 9am and studying but I slept earlier today because of the hay fever meds. Im planning to sleep around 2 am and wake up 8am ... does that sound totally doable? that is ofc if I sleep 2am, i think it'll end up being much later. If I feel tired throughout the day, whats the best thing to do to stay awake? thanks!
Nah 6 hours is decent, aim to get at least 5 every night if possible (preferably more if possible). Try not to use caffeine to keep you awake, but stay hydrated and if you really need to then take a little nap during the day. If you drink caffeine then you're more likely to struggle getting to sleep the night before your exam which obviously isn't good. I wish you all the best :smile:
That should be doable for you. If it's only lack of sleep for one or two days you should be fine. I was averaging 5/6 hours per night for my 2 weeks of exams ahah.

If you feel tired that day obviously caffiene will work. Food, water to keep you hydrated will wake you up a bit. If you feel particularly drowsy, get up and have a bit of a walk about if possible, that will help keep you awake. Sit in sunlight too. That always helps me stay alert.
I hope your exam goes well 😊
Reply 3
Original post by NiamhM1801
Nah 6 hours is decent, aim to get at least 5 every night if possible (preferably more if possible). Try not to use caffeine to keep you awake, but stay hydrated and if you really need to then take a little nap during the day. If you drink caffeine then you're more likely to struggle getting to sleep the night before your exam which obviously isn't good. I wish you all the best :smile:

Original post by Gold-Confetti
That should be doable for you. If it's only lack of sleep for one or two days you should be fine. I was averaging 5/6 hours per night for my 2 weeks of exams ahah.

If you feel tired that day obviously caffiene will work. Food, water to keep you hydrated will wake you up a bit. If you feel particularly drowsy, get up and have a bit of a walk about if possible, that will help keep you awake. Sit in sunlight too. That always helps me stay alert.
I hope your exam goes well 😊

Ah thanks both for such speedy replies! :smile: I will definitely stay hydrated & eat well and possibly even nap for a while too. Thanks haha :smile: hope your exams went well/are going well
LOOOL on my best nights I get 7 hours... my average is 5 and I'm always buzzing with energy.

sleep is for the weak...

coffee for the brave
6-7 hours is pretty normal I think.

Also sometimes I write down what's lingering on my mind e.g. have I memorised a particular concept before I go to bed just to help me switch off for the night.
Reply 6
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
LOOOL on my best nights I get 7 hours... my average is 5 and I'm always buzzing with energy.

sleep is for the weak...

coffee for the brave

fair enuff. Im anaemic so its difficult for me :frown: wish I could do that.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster

sleep is for the weak...

coffee for the brave

coffee isn't brave
snorting pure caffeine however is you have to be careful as a gram is easily enough to kill i usually take 0.2g twice a day
I pretty much get 4 or 5 hours sleep each night these days, and I still just about survive, so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine with 6/7 hours sleep.
Original post by aladdin818
Okay so for some this may be normal and others this might sound ridiculous and they may say sleep > no sleep esp during exam period but I have done NO revision for my chemistry exam this friday due to revision for biology which I just sat yesterday. Today...wasted day (hay fever was BAD).. So yeah tomorrow new fresh day. I plan on getting up 9am and studying but I slept earlier today because of the hay fever meds. Im planning to sleep around 2 am and wake up 8am ... does that sound totally doable? that is ofc if I sleep 2am, i think it'll end up being much later. If I feel tired throughout the day, whats the best thing to do to stay awake? thanks!

HOLY CRAP! You're situation is exactly the same as mine. I had Bio yesterday and i have Chem on Friday which i haven't started revising (hopefully will start now). Also, i plan to sleep around 3am as well. I think it's definitely doable. I revised for my Chemistry for 6 hours on the day before of the exam and i felt it went good.
I'm anaemic which comes with the symptoms of tiredness. I get tried every 3 hours. I normally just have a quick nap which i naturally wake up after 30 minutes and i feel greatly better- my mind is fresh and absorbs things faster. Moreover, i revise whilst walking around the room, talk to myself out loud as if i was a teacher teaching someone to remember things -sounds weird but works for me.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK
I can survive on four hours and I'm anaemic but only if I really cannot sleep or need to revise, five hours is enough to be fair.
I get about 6 hours a night most of the time and feel fine. I personally wouldn't recommend napping even if you feel tired, I always feel extremely disorientated after napping and certainly couldn't focus on revision. Drinking coffee might help (although it's vile!). Keeping hydrated is probably the key to getting through the day if you're not used to having such little sleep. Good luck!
Original post by jamesthehustler
coffee isn't brave
snorting pure caffeine however is you have to be careful as a gram is easily enough to kill i usually take 0.2g twice a day

There's a fine line between brave and ludicrous

you, my friend are flirting with it.
Original post by SnxwKid
LOOOOOL i hope you flop out you mug

Asks me how many effs I give about your comment...
Original post by funkypineapple
HOLY CRAP! You're situation is exactly the same as mine. I had Bio yesterday and i have Chem on Friday which i haven't started revising (hopefully will start now). Also, i plan to sleep around 3am as well. I think it's definitely doable. I revised for my Chemistry for 6 hours on the day before of the exam and i felt it went good.
I'm anaemic which comes with the symptoms of tiredness. I get tried every 3 hours. I normally just have a quick nap which i naturally wake up after 30 minutes and i feel greatly better- my mind is fresh and absorbs things faster. Moreover, i revise whilst walking around the room, talk to myself out loud as if i was a teacher teaching someone to remember things -sounds weird but works for me.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK

haha oh wow :P I feel you completely tbh. The problem w napping for me is I wake up feeling like a slob - not a good feeling. Yeah i do that too! I think tomorrow Im just gonna look at all past papers from when the spec started.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO. SMASH THOSE EXAMS. !
Original post by JoshC98
I get about 6 hours a night most of the time and feel fine. I personally wouldn't recommend napping even if you feel tired, I always feel extremely disorientated after napping and certainly couldn't focus on revision. Drinking coffee might help (although it's vile!). Keeping hydrated is probably the key to getting through the day if you're not used to having such little sleep. Good luck!

ah thanks so much! I will be. I normally don't drink water at all :/ But yeah I will most definitely.
Original post by SnxwKid
LOOOOOL i hope you flop out you mug
Grow up! :eyeball:

Quick Reply

Latest