The Student Room Group

Biomedical Engineering Applicants

I don't see a lot of threads tailored to this. So is anyone applying for entry into Biomedical Engineering 2016/2017?
Reply 1
Bump
Hey! :biggrin:
I'm planning on applying for entry in 2017 so yay
I'm also currently searching tsr for motivation to revise because this half term has not been productive haha
Reply 3
Original post by book-obsessed
Hey! :biggrin:
I'm planning on applying for entry in 2017 so yay
I'm also currently searching tsr for motivation to revise because this half term has not been productive haha

Oh my i get what you mean HAHA. I finished my exams though and heck i'm trying to make full use of my free time by answering questions on TSR (or just casually browsing through random threads).

But anyway, have you gotten any idea on which universities you want to apply to?
Original post by MAS98
Oh my i get what you mean HAHA. I finished my exams though and heck i'm trying to make full use of my free time by answering questions on TSR (or just casually browsing through random threads).

But anyway, have you gotten any idea on which universities you want to apply to?

You're so lucky your exams are done! Haha I've legitimately lost the will to revise 😂😭
I was thinking of Kings College London, but I'll have a better idea after I go to the taster course in July. I was also considering UCL and Exeter but tbh I haven't done enough research lol

wbu?
Reply 5
You're so lucky your exams are done! Haha I've legitimately lost the will to revise 😂😭
I was thinking of Kings College London, but I'll have a better idea after I go to the taster course in July. I was also considering UCL and Exeter but tbh I haven't done enough research lol

wbu?

Oh dear I'm sorry HAHA! My exams might be over but the challenge to get into university gives me anxiety lol. If you dont mind me asking, are you doing A-Levels? If so, what subjects are you taking?

Oh and I've managed to get a solid offer from UCL for entry this September. Still sorting my finances but hopefully I'd be able to go there. I've heard good feedback from Biomedical Engineering students at Strathclyde though if you'd like more options hehe.
Original post by MAS98
Oh dear I'm sorry HAHA! My exams might be over but the challenge to get into university gives me anxiety lol. If you dont mind me asking, are you doing A-Levels? If so, what subjects are you taking?

Oh and I've managed to get a solid offer from UCL for entry this September. Still sorting my finances but hopefully I'd be able to go there. I've heard good feedback from Biomedical Engineering students at Strathclyde though if you'd like more options hehe.

Hahah its fine don't apologise, you're definitely more stressed than me, my exams don't even count this year ( apart from maths lol :frown:)
yep I'm in my first year of sixth form, currently taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature. what subjects did you take on?

Well done about UCL! It looks amazing and hopefully you meet the conditions of your offer
haha thanks for the info on Strathclyde, I'm not gonna lie I had never heard of it before now but im sure its great.
btw just because I'm nosy, I was wondering what are the grade requirements that UCL gave?
Reply 7
Hahah its fine don't apologise, you're definitely more stressed than me, my exams don't even count this year ( apart from maths lol :frown:)
yep I'm in my first year of sixth form, currently taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature. what subjects did you take on?

Well done about UCL! It looks amazing and hopefully you meet the conditions of your offer
haha thanks for the info on Strathclyde, I'm not gonna lie I had never heard of it before now but im sure its great.
btw just because I'm nosy, I was wondering what are the grade requirements that UCL gave?

Thank you! UCL gave me a low offer contingent upon getting ABB (a bit of relief really). On the website, the high offer for biomedical engineering is AAA but i think you can bring it down with a fantastic personal statement and good references. I was also planning to go to Imperial but they needed A* for Maths and thats just too high of a reach for me (trust me I did super bad with my statistics Maths paper HAHAHA)

As for your question, I took the three natural sciences and Maths. I didn't really know what to do back then so i was like heck i'll take all the core sciences till the end of sixth form (I'm barely alive). But in the end, with a bit of research I found Biomedical Engineering the perfect course that suits my liking :smile:. Out of curiosity, do you have any rough idea what you want to be or do in the future?

Oh and ah alright so I'm assuming you'd be sitting for your AS & then A2 exams. Do you plan to drop one subject as you proceed to A2? I'm sure you'll nail the exams though!
Original post by MAS98
Thank you! UCL gave me a low offer contingent upon getting ABB (a bit of relief really). On the website, the high offer for biomedical engineering is AAA but i think you can bring it down with a fantastic personal statement and good references. I was also planning to go to Imperial but they needed A* for Maths and thats just too high of a reach for me (trust me I did super bad with my statistics Maths paper HAHAHA)

As for your question, I took the three natural sciences and Maths. I didn't really know what to do back then so i was like heck i'll take all the core sciences till the end of sixth form (I'm barely alive). But in the end, with a bit of research I found Biomedical Engineering the perfect course that suits my liking :smile:. Out of curiosity, do you have any rough idea what you want to be or do in the future?

Oh and ah alright so I'm assuming you'd be sitting for your AS & then A2 exams. Do you plan to drop one subject as you proceed to A2? I'm sure you'll nail the exams though!

That's so lucky! You definitely need to share your personal statement tips, I personally have the bare minimum of hobbies and work experience lol
For example, did you have any work placements that were related to the engineering field? and if not, how did you combat that and still make yourself still seem like a winning candidate

And yeah I was thinking about Imperial too, but when I read the part about needing an A* in maths, if you're not taking further maths, I moved on real quick hahaha. But I'm sure you'll do great! We always think exams went worse than they really did :biggrin: btw whats your insurance?

I cannot believe you chose to do the three sciences and maths, that's crazy brave and stupid but worth it but also dumb :wink: just kidding I'm only bitter because at the last minute on enrollment day I picked english over biology and have lived in regret ever since oh well sigh

Well to be perfectly honest I don't have the clearest idea of what I want to do BUT I do know that I love physics and maths, find chemistry interesting and don't want to go into academia, so biomedical engineering seemed like the perfect fit :u: and nope i don't plan on dropping anything atm however getting a U would change that decision hahah but thank you! I need all the luck i can get

p.s also if you know any amazing revision websites or youtube revision accounts i would really appreciate you helping me out :biggrin:
Reply 9
That's so lucky! You definitely need to share your personal statement tips, I personally have the bare minimum of hobbies and work experience lol
For example, did you have any work placements that were related to the engineering field? and if not, how did you combat that and still make yourself still seem like a winning candidate

And yeah I was thinking about Imperial too, but when I read the part about needing an A* in maths, if you're not taking further maths, I moved on real quick hahaha. But I'm sure you'll do great! We always think exams went worse than they really did :biggrin: btw whats your insurance?

I cannot believe you chose to do the three sciences and maths, that's crazy brave and stupid but worth it but also dumb :wink: just kidding I'm only bitter because at the last minute on enrollment day I picked english over biology and have lived in regret ever since oh well sigh

Well to be perfectly honest I don't have the clearest idea of what I want to do BUT I do know that I love physics and maths, find chemistry interesting and don't want to go into academia, so biomedical engineering seemed like the perfect fit :u: and nope i don't plan on dropping anything atm however getting a U would change that decision hahah but thank you! I need all the luck i can get

p.s also if you know any amazing revision websites or youtube revision accounts i would really appreciate you helping me out :biggrin:

I know right! Maybe it’s our human biology (wow this got science-y real quick) to have low expectations atm to avoid disappointment when results come out HAHA! But anyways, I’ve put Strathclyde as my insurance :smile:. About placements, neither do I tbh. I don’t exactly have any prior work experience inany engineering field but I didn’t see this as a disadvantage. Because of that, I focused on my extracurricular on the ones that I think are relevant to biomedical engineering (by joining robotics tournaments, project design, brief medical workshops etc). Don’t worry you’ll still have plenty of time to fill in your ECAs hehe. Even if its not enough, you could also strengthen your PS by showing the reader that you’re well informed on any recent developments in biomedical engineering or just engineering/healthcare in general (more on this below).

Ok so regarding PS tips; brace yourself with me rambling about this below (bear with me lol).

As you know, engineers deal with machinery and solve problems with Physics so I guess you have to show your strong interest in being one. Maybe you could point out which A-Level topics kept you thoroughly engaged in class (oh and most importantly why :biggrin:). For me, I loved learning the application topics under Physics (It was in the A2 syllabus if it hasn’t changed). There was one topic called Remote Sensing, which basically covers ultrasound, X-Rays, to the principles of physics behind how MRIs work which got me extremely invested (It also got really weird when the syllabus wanted us to learn on computer pixels and binary). But of course, it comes down to your interests, if you love electricity or electromagnetism, there’s no harm in putting it in as long as it’s relevant.

Plus, the course does have hints of healthcare, so I talked about how I wanted to remove the barrier between engineering and medicine. I also slipped in one to two sentences about the future of the field (since its relatively new and rapidly growing). I based my Personal Statement on this short and very handy paragraph from UCL’s MedPhys website:

“Your application will be especially interesting to us if you can demonstrate your interest in the medical applications of engineering.You should be motivated by a desire to apply your training to the pursuit of improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Relevant work experience, project work and your knowledge of issues and current affairs surrounding this field will assist your application.”

Most biomedical engineering courses offer cardiac engineering as one of the modules (so you’d be learning on how to design artificial hearts/pacemakers to replace severely damaged ones in saving lives, sounds exciting). There are others as well from bionic implants to mechanics. This is kind of why I like this course, its multidisciplinary as some would say it.

But all this is optional though! It’s completely up to youto decide on what you want to put in your personal statement (it’s a personal statement after all, its unique to you). Oh one more tip don’t forget to show some personality in your PS like maybe inserting what your interests/hobbies/personal aims are (a small sentence would generally suffice). Trust me, it makes your PS a lot more personal and the admissions tutor will learn a bit about who you areas a person. If you don’t know how to relate your extracurricular to biomedical engineering, just remember you could always talk about transferable skills. Say, you were elected as maybe a student prefect/group leader/ student prefect and it helped polish your leadership skills. These skills are good for engineers as they will be the engines (excuse the pun) that will drive (gosh) teams to find long-term solutions. Of course there are other skills you could include like maybe you’ve learned to be organized during sixth-form and so it prepares you for the workload in uni etc. Or you like reading books and it expands your imagination (engineers need to be creative). If you’re stuck you could always ask hehe. Ok I'll end it here, I think I've gone way overboard HAHAH :colondollar:.

I watch a lot of videos on YouTube but most of them aren’t really for A-Level revision lol but I do enjoy videos from CrashCourse during my mocks as they helped me understand some last-minute topics before death (exams). Also do a lot of past papers because I think thisis the most effective way of revising for me. All in all, I guess meeting the grades are equally as important so again wishing you the very very very very very very best of luck for your exams!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MAS98
I know right! Maybe it’s our human biology (wow this got science-y real quick) to have low expectations atm to avoid disappointment when results come out HAHA! But anyways, I’ve put Strathclyde as my insurance :smile:. About placements, neither do I tbh. I don’t exactly have any prior work experience inany engineering field but I didn’t see this as a disadvantage. Because of that, I focused on my extracurricular on the ones that I think are relevant to biomedical engineering (by joining robotics tournaments, project design, brief medical workshops etc). Don’t worry you’ll still have plenty of time to fill in your ECAs hehe. Even if its not enough, you could also strengthen your PS by showing the reader that you’re well informed on any recent developments in biomedical engineering or just engineering/healthcare in general (more on this below).

Ok so regarding PS tips; brace yourself with me rambling about this below (bear with me lol).

As you know, engineers deal with machinery and solve problems with Physics so I guess you have to show your strong interest in being one. Maybe you could point out which A-Level topics kept you thoroughly engaged in class (oh and most importantly why :biggrin:). For me, I loved learning the application topics under Physics (It was in the A2 syllabus if it hasn’t changed). There was one topic called Remote Sensing, which basically covers ultrasound, X-Rays, to the principles of physics behind how MRIs work which got me extremely invested (It also got really weird when the syllabus wanted us to learn on computer pixels and binary). But of course, it comes down to your interests, if you love electricity or electromagnetism, there’s no harm in putting it in as long as it’s relevant.

Plus, the course does have hints of healthcare, so I talked about how I wanted to remove the barrier between engineering and medicine. I also slipped in one to two sentences about the future of the field (since its relatively new and rapidly growing). I based my Personal Statement on this short and very handy paragraph from UCL’s MedPhys website:

“Your application will be especially interesting to us if you can demonstrate your interest in the medical applications of engineering.You should be motivated by a desire to apply your training to the pursuit of improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Relevant work experience, project work and your knowledge of issues and current affairs surrounding this field will assist your application.”

Most biomedical engineering courses offer cardiac engineering as one of the modules (so you’d be learning on how to design artificial hearts/pacemakers to replace severely damaged ones in saving lives, sounds exciting). There are others as well from bionic implants to mechanics. This is kind of why I like this course, its multidisciplinary as some would say it.

But all this is optional though! It’s completely up to youto decide on what you want to put in your personal statement (it’s a personal statement after all, its unique to you). Oh one more tip don’t forget to show some personality in your PS like maybe inserting what your interests/hobbies/personal aims are (a small sentence would generally suffice). Trust me, it makes your PS a lot more personal and the admissions tutor will learn a bit about who you areas a person. If you don’t know how to relate your extracurricular to biomedical engineering, just remember you could always talk about transferable skills. Say, you were elected as maybe a student prefect/group leader/ student prefect and it helped polish your leadership skills. These skills are good for engineers as they will be the engines (excuse the pun) that will drive (gosh) teams to find long-term solutions. Of course there are other skills you could include like maybe you’ve learned to be organized during sixth-form and so it prepares you for the workload in uni etc. Or you like reading books and it expands your imagination (engineers need to be creative). If you’re stuck you could always ask hehe. Ok I'll end it here, I think I've gone way overboard HAHAH :colondollar:.

I watch a lot of videos on YouTube but most of them aren’t really for A-Level revision lol but I do enjoy videos from CrashCourse during my mocks as they helped me understand some last-minute topics before death (exams). Also do a lot of past papers because I think thisis the most effective way of revising for me. All in all, I guess meeting the grades are equally as important so again wishing you the very very very very very very best of luck for your exams!!

Ohmygosh this is so helpful! Thank you very much for investing time into replying to that, you've really helped me! I love the fact that, even in these few paragraphs I've read, your passion and dedication to biomedical engineering really shines through :biggrin: If I can inject half as much enthusiasm into my personal statement then I am set haha
(btw I am so sorry if I don't reply to it all)

Wait what, you joined a robotic tournament?! HAHA is that really a thing, it sounds like fun.
Oh and ps you should have added 'inspiring others' into your personal statement, as one of your attributes; talked about how your dedication to improving the world for future generations has externalized itself in many forms, one being your unwavering dedication to helping others on the student room :wink::tongue:

And yes I completely agree about the human biology part! I think we as humans find success so much more rewarding when it is unexpected and we haven't preceeded it with hopes and bragging. Plus its just a really British thing to pretend you've done no revision then act surprised when you get all A's haha

I think, going on from this, I'm going to double my efforts into reading around my subjects, listening to relevant podcasts and watching online lectures because from what you're saying that just screams dedication. Its all about working with what you've got it seems. And don't worry you've definitely not gone over board with information, you could have wrote a whole page and I would have read it all, I actually love reading and gaining any kind of knowledge, so this is great :h: ( and also your puns! You're very punny hahahaha). This has also made me look forward to A2 so yay
Hahah thank you about the exams :biggrin: I really hope they go well for you too:crossedf:! One thousand billion well wishes, if anyone deserves it you do

I feel really bad cause my reply is so much shorter ahahah but i want you to know that it has most definitely helped and if you have any more information feel free to overwhelm me with it
plus I have no questions right now because stats is tmmr and I am stressing urgh, but if you have that exam too then good luck :h:
Reply 11
Ohmygosh this is so helpful! Thank you very much for investing time into replying to that, you've really helped me! I love the fact that, even in these few paragraphs I've read, your passion and dedication to biomedical engineering really shines through :biggrin: If I can inject half as much enthusiasm into my personal statement then I am set haha
(btw I am so sorry if I don't reply to it all)

Wait what, you joined a robotic tournament?! HAHA is that really a thing, it sounds like fun.
Oh and ps you should have added 'inspiring others' into your personal statement, as one of your attributes; talked about how your dedication to improving the world for future generations has externalized itself in many forms, one being your unwavering dedication to helping others on the student room :wink::tongue:

And yes I completely agree about the human biology part! I think we as humans find success so much more rewarding when it is unexpected and we haven't preceeded it with hopes and bragging. Plus its just a really British thing to pretend you've done no revision then act surprised when you get all A's haha

I think, going on from this, I'm going to double my efforts into reading around my subjects, listening to relevant podcasts and watching online lectures because from what you're saying that just screams dedication. Its all about working with what you've got it seems. And don't worry you've definitely not gone over board with information, you could have wrote a whole page and I would have read it all, I actually love reading and gaining any kind of knowledge, so this is great :h: ( and also your puns! You're very punny hahahaha). This has also made me look forward to A2 so yay
Hahah thank you about the exams :biggrin: I really hope they go well for you too:crossedf:! One thousand billion well wishes, if anyone deserves it you do

I feel really bad cause my reply is so much shorter ahahah but i want you to know that it has most definitely helped and if you have any more information feel free to overwhelm me with it
plus I have no questions right now because stats is tmmr and I am stressing urgh, but if you have that exam too then good luck :h:

"Plus its just a really British thing to pretend you've done no revision then act surprised when you get all A's haha"
HAHAHAHAHA IKR I SECOND THIS STATEMENT

Yup, the tournament involved programming and constructing simple (and actual) robots and it was kind of long, tiring and extremely challenging but worth it. Had to connect literally millions of tiny modules to the motherboard/brain. Plus, we weren't allowed to bring our drinks into the testing hall as the judges apparently didn't want us to get electrocuted. Someone shockingly (AGAIN NO PUN INTENDED AHAHA), in the previous year, knocked an opened water bottle and, well, had everyone in the building performed a fire drill (burnt wire? idk).

"Inspiring others" brb putting this on my CV (just kidding) but thank you (and also for the billion wishes), that means a lot to me and I'm glad what I've written helped and motivated you. That actually made my day. :h: As cliche as it sounds, just keep moving forward!

But oh dear sorry I'm a bit late in replying but if you don't mind me asking how did the exam paper go? Personally hehe, I kind of hate stats because some (if not most) of the questions are so deceptive and it takes me a bloody good while to actually figure out what they want. But hopefully, it went alright for you!
Original post by MAS98
"Plus its just a really British thing to pretend you've done no revision then act surprised when you get all A's haha"
HAHAHAHAHA IKR I SECOND THIS STATEMENT

Yup, the tournament involved programming and constructing simple (and actual) robots and it was kind of long, tiring and extremely challenging but worth it. Had to connect literally millions of tiny modules to the motherboard/brain. Plus, we weren't allowed to bring our drinks into the testing hall as the judges apparently didn't want us to get electrocuted. Someone shockingly (AGAIN NO PUN INTENDED AHAHA), in the previous year, knocked an opened water bottle and, well, had everyone in the building performed a fire drill (burnt wire? idk).

"Inspiring others" brb putting this on my CV (just kidding) but thank you (and also for the billion wishes), that means a lot to me and I'm glad what I've written helped and motivated you. That actually made my day. :h: As cliche as it sounds, just keep moving forward!

But oh dear sorry I'm a bit late in replying but if you don't mind me asking how did the exam paper go? Personally hehe, I kind of hate stats because some (if not most) of the questions are so deceptive and it takes me a bloody good while to actually figure out what they want. But hopefully, it went alright for you!

The robotic tournament actually sounds amazing, the sheer nerdiness of it speaks to me on spiritual level :clap2:. And hmm you're right it is shocking, I'm just glad no one was hertz ( HAHA I TRIED). The real question is, what was the prize? Because it had to be worth all that work, and I mean you never know someone could have brought it a rogue red bull can and then who knows what could have happened ( stain on the carpet? idk hahahh)

Haha I'm glad it made your day, if you ever need anyone to write you up a new personal statement hit me up, I have to use my English literature skills somehow. Dw I'll make sure to keep on going, maybe mention you in the acknowledgments section of my autobiography, and if you're really lucky you might even get a footnote :biggrin:

Lol stats was awful fml, but I'm hoping my core 1 & 2 will help keep my dreams afloat because ha what is stats, what is standard deviation, what are histograms. I am most definitely switching to m1 next year if all goes well. Are all you exams done? if so you lucky thing, if not then good luck! ( i think the C3 exam is tomorrow? i could be wrong)

Anyways what about you, any plans for the summer? What does the average student do with their time before university? Is reading ahead even a thing in engineering haha
Reply 13
The robotic tournament actually sounds amazing, the sheer nerdiness of it speaks to me on spiritual level :clap2:. And hmm you're right it is shocking, I'm just glad no one was hertz ( HAHA I TRIED). The real question is, what was the prize? Because it had to be worth all that work, and I mean you never know someone could have brought it a rogue red bull can and then who knows what could have happened ( stain on the carpet? idk hahahh)

Haha I'm glad it made your day, if you ever need anyone to write you up a new personal statement hit me up, I have to use my English literature skills somehow. Dw I'll make sure to keep on going, maybe mention you in the acknowledgments section of my autobiography, and if you're really lucky you might even get a footnote :biggrin:

Lol stats was awful fml, but I'm hoping my core 1 & 2 will help keep my dreams afloat because ha what is stats, what is standard deviation, what are histograms. I am most definitely switching to m1 next year if all goes well. Are all you exams done? if so you lucky thing, if not then good luck! ( i think the C3 exam is tomorrow? i could be wrong)

Anyways what about you, any plans for the summer? What does the average student do with their time before university? Is reading ahead even a thing in engineering haha

Oh what the heck I didn't even receive a notification on this. Had to check this thread back and was a bit surprised that you responded. TSR is a bit buggy for me this week i'm not sure why but alright then.

The prize was money and one gigantic trophy (which doesn't look too appealing to the eye tbh, i mean in comparison to money wow AHAHAHA). Now with Britain leaving the EU and the country suffering economic recession money is as precious as ever sigh.

My exams are done (thank god) and stats was horrible tbh. I'd much rather do mechanics because i think its a bit easier to manage and a lot more fun to understand considering the topics are mostly in line with Physics (yes yes yes yes yes). I mean i still don't understand what variance is and why is it the square of standard deviation like WHAT IS THIS SORCERY GET IT AWAY FROM ME.

But yeah over the summer I'm teaching a few people who are right now doing their GCSEs (lucky them) just to help them polish the syllabus (and scare them on A-Levels no lol just kidding) and of course earn a bit of money hehe. I do plan to go to some uni Open Days. Wbu? Any plans to fill in your time before A2?

"Dw I'll make sure to keep on going, maybe mention you in the acknowledgments section of my autobiography, and if you're really lucky you might even get a footnote"
OH MY AHAHA :colondollar:
Original post by MAS98
Oh what the heck I didn't even receive a notification on this. Had to check this thread back and was a bit surprised that you responded. TSR is a bit buggy for me this week i'm not sure why but alright then.

The prize was money and one gigantic trophy (which doesn't look too appealing to the eye tbh, i mean in comparison to money wow AHAHAHA). Now with Britain leaving the EU and the country suffering economic recession money is as precious as ever sigh.

My exams are done (thank god) and stats was horrible tbh. I'd much rather do mechanics because i think its a bit easier to manage and a lot more fun to understand considering the topics are mostly in line with Physics (yes yes yes yes yes). I mean i still don't understand what variance is and why is it the square of standard deviation like WHAT IS THIS SORCERY GET IT AWAY FROM ME.

But yeah over the summer I'm teaching a few people who are right now doing their GCSEs (lucky them) just to help them polish the syllabus (and scare them on A-Levels no lol just kidding) and of course earn a bit of money hehe. I do plan to go to some uni Open Days. Wbu? Any plans to fill in your time before A2?

"Dw I'll make sure to keep on going, maybe mention you in the acknowledgments section of my autobiography, and if you're really lucky you might even get a footnote"
OH MY AHAHA :colondollar:

Hahaha me af! I take the longest time to reply because I haven't got the app and so I get no notifications unless I check my email and honestly who actually checks their email *eye roll
It's actually got to the point where I don't even apologise for replying late because I feel that it sets up an unrealistic expectation of my next reply time LMAO and if that doesn't sum up my attitude to life I don't know what does

Honestly this thread isn't even about biomedical engineering anymore and I love that, you could literally start telling me about your deviated septum or your Oedipus complex or something else random and I would still be fascinated ( albeit it would be when I reply two weeks later hehe). Anyway just wanted to explain where this thread had gone to incase someone else ever found it and was a bit confused hahahah

Sorry I deviated (HAHA get it)... what was my original point...oh yeah robotic tournament! The prizes make it even better and I'm sure the "unsightly prize" has pride of place on your mantle :wink: I mean who wouldn't put it there, the questions it would generate alone make it worth the ugly. But I know exactly what you mean about the EU, life as we know it is over. I just sincerely hope it ends up all right in the end because I definitely don't want to be carrying my money in a wheelbarrow ( I kid of course but seriously imagine if that happens)

Hahah don't even mention variance I'm getting triggered! I love physics so hopefully mechanics is a less bumpy ride, don't quote me on that if I fail though

Awwh you're teaching?! That's so noble and worthwhile . I'm going to sleep my way through this holiday yep that's my plan. In actuality I will most probably be stressing over my personal statement and English Literature coursework so don't get too jealous. Have fun coaching the fetuses on the hell of A-level ( I say fetuses and I am literally one year older what is wrong with me )

I will also be visiting Uni open days mainly Kings college on their biomedical engineering day and other Unis ( Queens, UCL, Surrey...) for physics and mechanical engineering ( my backups)
Any tips on good questions to ask on these days?

p.s how come you're still going to Open days omg is the thing about getting your life together and figuring it all out in year 13 a lie?! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hahaha me af! I take the longest time to reply because I haven't got the app and so I get no notifications unless I check my email and honestly who actually checks their email *eye roll
It's actually got to the point where I don't even apologise for replying late because I feel that it sets up an unrealistic expectation of my next reply time LMAO and if that doesn't sum up my attitude to life I don't know what does

Honestly this thread isn't even about biomedical engineering anymore and I love that, you could literally start telling me about your deviated septum or your Oedipus complex or something else random and I would still be fascinated ( albeit it would be when I reply two weeks later hehe). Anyway just wanted to explain where this thread had gone to incase someone else ever found it and was a bit confused hahahah

Sorry I deviated (HAHA get it)... what was my original point...oh yeah robotic tournament! The prizes make it even better and I'm sure the "unsightly prize" has pride of place on your mantle :wink: I mean who wouldn't put it there, the questions it would generate alone make it worth the ugly. But I know exactly what you mean about the EU, life as we know it is over. I just sincerely hope it ends up all right in the end because I definitely don't want to be carrying my money in a wheelbarrow ( I kid of course but seriously imagine if that happens)

Hahah don't even mention variance I'm getting triggered! I love physics so hopefully mechanics is a less bumpy ride, don't quote me on that if I fail though

Awwh you're teaching?! That's so noble and worthwhile . I'm going to sleep my way through this holiday yep that's my plan. In actuality I will most probably be stressing over my personal statement and English Literature coursework so don't get too jealous. Have fun coaching the fetuses on the hell of A-level ( I say fetuses and I am literally one year older what is wrong with me )

I will also be visiting Uni open days mainly Kings college on their biomedical engineering day and other Unis ( Queens, UCL, Surrey...) for physics and mechanical engineering ( my backups)
Any tips on good questions to ask on these days?

p.s how come you're still going to Open days omg is the thing about getting your life together and figuring it all out in year 13 a lie?! :biggrin:

You don't want your money carried in a wheelbarrow wow AHAHA. But i think recovery is on the way though but if things are as bad as it seems, well, i guess britain Eur-time is-Ope. Pls get the pun ok no im sorry that was a bad joke i'll leave to the nearest exit.

Good questions would be all the cliche ones like what sets this course apart from the other engineering courses, or ask for what they want from personal statements etc. Oh and trust me if you make a good impression and have ur enthusiasm shine through and they know your name, they'll likely remember you when they receive ur uni application in the future and well yeah you know where this is going hehehe (take this with a grain of salt tho).

The open day for UCL Biomedical Engineering is quite funny though. One of the professors from the dept volunteered to have his legs electrocuted by attendees (like he literally sat on a chair and asked for people to come and electrocute him with some kind of taser which is 'supposedly' not life threatening). Pretty ballsy not gonna lie AHAHAHA people had a good laugh and so did I. They also had this ultrasound booth where you can actually perform ultrasound on a dummy (or sometimes on a small animal) and you get to see the insides on a computer monitor in real-time.

PS its kinda mandatory for UCL applicants to visit their big open day three months prior to enrolment (they gave me an invitation again idk if it was an error but for the sake of updating myself with whats going on with the dept i'll just kindly submit AHAHA).

Don't worry Mechanics would be much easier to score. Oh i almost forgot you took English Lit. Is it all mostly about poetry and prose or do u also have to learn Old English (idk if thats what people call it)? I'm a bit curious AHAHA. Some of my friends took Lit as well but they barely talk about the subject and I've seen them write a lot. Sometimes I imagine myself randomly taking essay-based subjects like History, Economics and Sociology had I not found my interest in science (just wanted to get that out of my chest lol sorry this came out of nowhere). I did take Economics at GCSE level and all i did was rant about a specific topic for three paragraphs straight on a 4 mark question AHAHA (i miss those days) and the subject served me well in venting my frustration. I legit did this for the essay portion of A-Level Biology as well. Ok idk where this is going but our replies are always so lengthy and have gone more personal and i truly appreciate it AHAHA.
Original post by MAS98
You don't want your money carried in a wheelbarrow wow AHAHA. But i think recovery is on the way though but if things are as bad as it seems, well, i guess britain Eur-time is-Ope. Pls get the pun ok no im sorry that was a bad joke i'll leave to the nearest exit.

Good questions would be all the cliche ones like what sets this course apart from the other engineering courses, or ask for what they want from personal statements etc. Oh and trust me if you make a good impression and have ur enthusiasm shine through and they know your name, they'll likely remember you when they receive ur uni application in the future and well yeah you know where this is going hehehe (take this with a grain of salt tho).

The open day for UCL Biomedical Engineering is quite funny though. One of the professors from the dept volunteered to have his legs electrocuted by attendees (like he literally sat on a chair and asked for people to come and electrocute him with some kind of taser which is 'supposedly' not life threatening). Pretty ballsy not gonna lie AHAHAHA people had a good laugh and so did I. They also had this ultrasound booth where you can actually perform ultrasound on a dummy (or sometimes on a small animal) and you get to see the insides on a computer monitor in real-time.

PS its kinda mandatory for UCL applicants to visit their big open day three months prior to enrolment (they gave me an invitation again idk if it was an error but for the sake of updating myself with whats going on with the dept i'll just kindly submit AHAHA).

Don't worry Mechanics would be much easier to score. Oh i almost forgot you took English Lit. Is it all mostly about poetry and prose or do u also have to learn Old English (idk if thats what people call it)? I'm a bit curious AHAHA. Some of my friends took Lit as well but they barely talk about the subject and I've seen them write a lot. Sometimes I imagine myself randomly taking essay-based subjects like History, Economics and Sociology had I not found my interest in science (just wanted to get that out of my chest lol sorry this came out of nowhere). I did take Economics at GCSE level and all i did was rant about a specific topic for three paragraphs straight on a 4 mark question AHAHA (i miss those days) and the subject served me well in venting my frustration. I legit did this for the essay portion of A-Level Biology as well. Ok idk where this is going but our replies are always so lengthy and have gone more personal and i truly appreciate it AHAHA.

HAHAAH the puns get to me every time, you invest a lot, you should get an award for them tbh ( and you should have said you'll leave to the nearest BREXIT :biggrin: I tried sorry)

Hmm good point, do you think it would be best to carry a notebook full of questions or is that to keen? I just don't want to be the one person who doesn't seem invested. I'm sure it'll be fine tho, as long as I slip in my name somewhere during the day I'll feel like my mission is accomplished.

Wow the UCL open day sounds amazing! Who doesn't love a crazy professor haha. Did you volunteer to go up? Wouldn't it be the worst thing if you were the one person it went wrong for haha. It sounds so fun honestly, hopefully I have an equal amount of fun ( I'll get back to you on that). I always find that open days/ taster courses are slightly awkward because no one knows anybody and the loudest people are the ones who come in groups which is great but I am the only engineer in my group so that gets me nowhere urgh wish me luck.

P.S have loads of fun on the open day! And if you hate it this time round oh well you're stuck now, so suck it up and smile HAHAHAH I have such good advice damn, someone get me a column :wink:

LOL English isn't awful but I understand why your friends didn't talk about it, there is really not much to say it's poetry, it's plays, it's hell and its novels ( just kidding its not that bad but honestly it takes so much time, seriously like 4 hours, to write ONE essay why lord why).
I think if your aim was to pursue an English degree, or something centered around that, you would relish it but for me personally I have no such ambitions so...
HA economics sounds great, I wouldn't automatically associate it with venting but that sounds blissful. Tbh any subject that allows you to express your opinion is beneficial in some way I've found. I think I would have loved philosophy, if only because when reading around topics such as Relativity and The Big Bang Theory I've found that the ability to question and theorise helps a lot. For instance I was reading Stephen Hawkins' book yesterday and when he mentioned the Anthropic principle "We see the universe the way it because we exist" it really made me think for ages and it's so true! Our perception truly is our reality ( sorry tangent hahaha)
We should honestly just have a huge discussion/ vent about all the randomness that occurs to us, I mean who else would care but a stranger on tsr :five:
Reply 17
is city uni good for biomed engineering?? any help appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest