The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Business - Unit 3 Revision thread (14th June 2016)

Poll

which grade do u think u got?

cant find an active thread dedicated to this topic so i decided to make 1

feel free to post any revision materials in this thread and good luck with the exam.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Here is some help on how to answer Question 4 (34 marker)

http://www.tutor2u.net/business/blog/buss3-how-to-answer-the-34-marker

Jim
Reply 2
Original post by Jim Riley
Here is some help on how to answer Question 4 (34 marker)

http://www.tutor2u.net/business/blog/buss3-how-to-answer-the-34-marker

Jim

thanks for the reply but i think thats for the AQA spec
Hey, hows revision? any tips ?
Reply 4
Original post by Roadrunner55
Hey, hows revision? any tips ?

revision is going ok

my main tip is to go through past papers and memorize answers as they're very similar in every paper
Original post by hehexd
revision is going ok

my main tip is to go through past papers and memorize answers as they're very similar in every paper

you got anyway tips to gain high marks when evaluating
Original post by hehexd
revision is going ok

Is that true, are there any more common questions??
Reply 7
Original post by SamuelN98
Is that true, are there any more common questions??

Joint Ventures seems to come up a lot, which is great as its such an easy question.

Anyone got any more predictions? I feel like Unit 3 is so much easier to prepare for than Unit 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Nath98
Joint Ventures seems to come up a lot, which is great as its such an easy question.

Anyone got any more predictions? I feel like Unit 3 is so much easier to prepare for than Unit 4!

Sent from my iPhone usiung Tapatalk

Do you know how to access the top marks usually for evaluating ?
Reply 9
Do you know how to access the top marks usually for evaluating ?

I think you have to have a balanced answer (positive and negative points) and also some sort of a evaluative conclusion where you talk about short/long term effects etc. That's what my teacher has taught me anyway!

Original post by Nath98
I think you have to have a balanced answer (positive and negative points) and also some sort of a evaluative conclusion where you talk about short/long term effects etc. That's what my teacher has taught me anyway!

so basically short and long term affects, also does anyone have good notes on China and India case studies
so basically short and long term affects, also does anyone have good notes on China and India case studies

What do you mean by case studies?
What do you mean by case studies?

Ur suppose to have some knowledge on india and china
Ur suppose to have some knowledge on india and china

Ah i see.
All i have is a few basic facts.

•

India expected to surpass china in population and its population will be younger, so more likely to have economic growth due to increase in the size of the labour force, but only if education improves, may be issues that the growth in population is faster than the GDP growth rate.

•

China has a slowing rate of population growth, and population is predicted begin falling in 2030, therefore less available workers, the ageing population will reduce the supply of labour and push up wage rates in the future.

•

China has a much larger GDP per capita at purchasing power parity.

•

More internet access in china.

•

Higher life expectancy in china.

•

China has a balance of payments surplus as it keeps exchange rate low.

•

India imports more than it exports

Barriers to market entry

•

Joint ventures seen as the most viable way of accessing markets.

•

The world bank rates china and india as the 83rd and 122nd easiest place to do business (As of what year i dont know).

•

Both countries have issues with corruption and protection of IPR`s.

•

More of a language barrier in china.

Trade opportunities

China

•

Has a high demand for raw materials

•

Higher incomes means more demand for luxury goods

•

by 2020 china will be the second largest consumer market.

India

•

Planning to spend large amounts in infrastructure projects, in areas such as transport where the UK has a history of exporting to.

•

Manufacturing sector is expanding i.e TATA

•

Entertainment and media sector expected to increase in value as a result of increased incomes of India`s youth

1. Thefactors that might prevent growth in India are:

•

Its infrastructure isn’t very good

•

à India has an adult literacy rate of onlyabout 60% - this cuts down on the potential pool of employees.

2. Themain factors that may prevent growth in China are:

•

Fewer Chinese people than Indian peoplespeak English; So China cannot compete in the call centre market.

•

China’s universities are not as good asIndia’s for training future business leaders.

Ah i see.
All i have is a few basic facts.

•

India expected to surpass china in population and its population will be younger, so more likely to have economic growth due to increase in the size of the labour force, but only if education improves, may be issues that the growth in population is faster than the GDP growth rate.

•

China has a slowing rate of population growth, and population is predicted begin falling in 2030, therefore less available workers, the ageing population will reduce the supply of labour and push up wage rates in the future.

•

China has a much larger GDP per capita at purchasing power parity.

•

More internet access in china.

•

Higher life expectancy in china.

•

China has a balance of payments surplus as it keeps exchange rate low.

•

India imports more than it exports

Barriers to market entry

•

Joint ventures seen as the most viable way of accessing markets.

•

The world bank rates china and india as the 83rd and 122nd easiest place to do business (As of what year i dont know).

•

Both countries have issues with corruption and protection of IPR`s.

•

More of a language barrier in china.

Trade opportunities

China

•

Has a high demand for raw materials

•

Higher incomes means more demand for luxury goods

•

by 2020 china will be the second largest consumer market.

India

•

Planning to spend large amounts in infrastructure projects, in areas such as transport where the UK has a history of exporting to.

•

Manufacturing sector is expanding i.e TATA

•

Entertainment and media sector expected to increase in value as a result of increased incomes of India`s youth

1. Thefactors that might prevent growth in India are:

•

Its infrastructure isn’t very good

•

à India has an adult literacy rate of onlyabout 60% - this cuts down on the potential pool of employees.

2. Themain factors that may prevent growth in China are:

•

Fewer Chinese people than Indian peoplespeak English; So China cannot compete in the call centre market.

•

China’s universities are not as good asIndia’s for training future business leaders.

damn man nice stuff, thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Nath98

Really? Unit 4 we're given a case study so i feel like as long as you know the Business inside out you're GG
Reply 16
Original post by G.S.G
Really? Unit 4 we're given a case study so i feel like as long as you know the Business inside out you're GG

That's true, but I feel like the theory involved is way more complicated. All these ratios and techniques are so confusing and hard to write so much about.. Like how on earth do you write 30 marks about a decision tree

Reply 17
Original post by Nath98
That's true, but I feel like the theory involved is way more complicated. All these ratios and techniques are so confusing and hard to write so much about.. Like how on earth do you write 30 marks about a decision tree

Well with that specific example you'd probably need to draw one out and have a definition thats 8 marks, assess value stating probably 4 points worth 2 each, 3 points of evaluation 2 each then a conclusion for 2 marks ish and general context and informational quality of writing marks for the rest. The calculations are simple once you get them memorised.
Reply 18
Any predictions on whats gonna come up on this paper?
Reply 19
Original post by hehexd
Any predictions on whats gonna come up on this paper?

Something about EU membership could come up like 2013's paper (i think it was 2013) where they asked about membership's impact on business.

Quick Reply