The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popcornjpg
actually looking forward to tomorrows exam

not because I want to take the exam tho, rather because mcdonalds is right next to the exam centre.

gonna get me some nuggets

McDonald's on Hounslow?
Original post by xxvine
McDonald's on Hounslow?

ya u probably dont remember but if u go through the alley way its right there.

whats weird bout McDonalds in Hounslow tho lol? they're everyhwere
Has anyone got both sided argument for significance of constitutional reforms since 1997 please?
Reply 1063
Original post by popcornjpg
ya u probably dont remember but if u go through the alley way its right there.

whats weird bout McDonalds in Hounslow tho lol? they're everyhwere

Haha it's just kind of random really and to bring up Hounslow of all places. I'm near enough there and I don't really recall a McDonald's being in a place that you mention but you'll probably be able to clear that up...
Did anyone see June 2010's paper...
i hope we get that tomorrow tbh
Can you deem the use of more referendums a constitutional reform?
Original post by Student 1305
Best of luck on your all nighter! You have the strength whilst I intend to wake up at 5 and spend two to two and a half hours on each topic before I have to get ready and leave by 12:40 :smile: looool I should've been so much more prepared for this as well :':wink: I'm sure it'll work out okay for us though x its my last exam so I'm just counting the hours down until this hell is over :smile:

Aww all the best! Good luck when you wake up early. Talk me after and let me now how it goes.

This is actually my re-sit so I should know better XD

But honestly, it's quite easy stuff. Don't worry, you will be fine!

Original post by xxvine
Wow take it easy lol before your head explodes

Lol it's called the life of a procrastinator....:colondollar:
Any predictions guys?
Reply 1068
Original post by xxvine
Has anyone got both sided argument for significance of constitutional reforms since 1997 please?

It's mostly a one sided argument where you have to list a good number of constitutional reforms carried out post 1997 such as HoL Reform Act 1999, FOI Act 2000, Constitutional Reform Act 2005 however you could argue that the Fixed Terms Parliament Act 2011 was beneficial to the Lib Dems at the time to safeguard the coalition as well as the Conservatives to reinforce their position. You could argue that the HoL Reform Act is a watered down version of the original proposals and the fact that New Labour lost its drive for major reform is a key factor in the slowing down of significant changes after their first term in office.
Does anybody here go to EHWLC ?
Thank you! haha will do! with the hard work you're putting now, I'm sure it will be reflected in what you get :smile: I was just wondering - how do you think i should revise things tomorrow morning? Should I just memorise it or plan questions? what would you suggest?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Aww all the best! Good luck when you wake up early. Talk me after and let me now how it goes.

This is actually my re-sit so I should know better XD

But honestly, it's quite easy stuff. Don't worry, you will be fine!

Lol it's called the life of a procrastinator....:colondollar:
Reply 1071
Has anyone done a 'assess whether bill of rights should be used over human rights' essay please please please
Thank you! haha will do! with the hard work you're putting now, I'm sure it will be reflected in what you get :smile: I was just wondering - how do you think i should revise things tomorrow morning? Should I just memorise it or plan questions? what would you suggest?

I'm planning on just making a plan for every essay thats come up in the past so i know the arguments clearly
Original post by xxvine

Devolution: Decentralised -> more reflective BUT turnout = low, less legitimacy to actions & west lothian question arises
HoL: Could be said slightly democratising but overall it was terrible, didn't go far enough, Blair just did it to get rid of inbuilt Conservative majority then left it alone
HR: good in the sense it brought justice closer to us and protects rights BUT can be repealed (bill of rights) and hinders Parliamentary sovereignty
FOI: Good since allows public bodies to be scrutinised and held accountable -> expenses scandal BUT made governing harder, Parliament less effective
Const. Reform: Good since separation of powers w/ Supreme Court & JAC = more democratic BUT could say less democratic since power of appointing judges taken out of elected politicians and given to unelected board
FTPA: Good since means elections free and fair since can't be held early BUT can be bypassed through vote of no confidence but this is long
Further devolution (Scotland Act): good since further leg. deco powers = more reflective BUT could be enhancing case for independence
Recall of MPs: Good since more accountability BUT not good since it didn't go far enough, should be more flexible
Wrights proposals: good since BBBC, e-petitions and elected select committees BUT BBBC debates ineffective and e-petitions undermine parliamentary sovereignty
(edited 7 years ago)

Memorise! Summarise in your head while reading it and talk out loud and memorise it. Make sense of it, MEMORISE EXAMPLES (VERY IMPORTANT)

Right after you memorise something, google it and find a current example (shorten it to a sentence long in your brain) and memorise it.

If you have a bit of time left over look at mark schemes and try to memorise them.

You can bullet point plan some questions at the end of your session, but I don't think you need to really. You have limited time to learn and get examples so I would do that first!

Goodluck!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Memorise! Summarise in your head while reading it and talk out loud and memorise it. Make sense of it, MEMORISE EXAMPLES (VERY IMPORTANT)

Right after you memorise something, google it and find a current example (shorten it to a sentence long in your brain) and memorise it.

If you have a bit of time left over look at mark schemes and try to memorise them.

You can bullet point plan some questions at the end of your session, but I don't think you need to really. You have limited time to learn and get examples so I would do that first!

Goodluck!

what ddi you get last year?
Original post by xxvine
5 for and against points or 10 altogether lol?

Like:

>Point for the proposed statement
> Explain this point
> Evidence to back up this point
> link back to q
> HOWEVER/CONVERSELY/ON THE OTHER HAND ETC (make a point against)
>explain
>evidence if you can
>link to question

All in one detailed paragraph.
Do this at least 4 times. 5 is fab!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
Devolution: Decentralised -> more reflective BUT turnout = low, less legitimacy to actions & west lothian question arises
HoL: Could be said slightly democratising but overall it was terrible, didn't go far enough, Blair just did it to get rid of inbuilt Conservative majority then left it alone
HR: good in the sense it brought justice closer to us and protects rights BUT can be repealed (bill of rights) and hinders Parliamentary sovereignty
FOI: Good since allows public bodies to be scrutinised and held accountable -> expenses scandal BUT made governing harder, Parliament less effective
Const. Reform: Good since separation of powers w/ Supreme Court & JAC = more democratic BUT could say less democratic since power of appointing judges taken out of elected politicians and given to unelected board
FTPA: Good since means elections free and fair since can't be held early BUT can be bypassed through vote of no confidence but this is long
Further devolution (Scotland Act): good since further leg. deco powers = more reflective BUT could be enhancing case for independence
Recall of MPs: Good since more accountability BUT not good since it didn't go far enough, should be more flexible
Wrights proposals: good since BBBC, e-petitions and elected select committees BUT BBBC debates ineffective and e-petitions undermine parliamentary sovereignty

Thanks
So just like out 3 or 4 of those for a 40 marker?
Good luck to everyone tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Foji
Has anyone done a 'assess whether bill of rights should be used over human rights' essay please please please

Yes for B.O.R: - Current HRA is more of a 'criminal's charter' - e.g. Abu Qatada "right to family life" meant he could not be extradited immediately despite being a radical Islamic cleric - doesn't really uphold the basic rights of normal citizens e.g. "Right to free speech"
- British Bill of Rights will uphold traditional British values
- HRA is enforced by an external court = strains parliamentary democracy & is not liked by euroskeptics who believe it is a European convention adopted into UK courts

No: - European Human Rights will not longer be able to be reviewed in UK courts - must resort to the European court of justice (which is much more costly)
- increased politicisation with conflict on what should and shouldn't be included in the Bill of Rights
- Leads to judicial tyranny

It's not an essay I have done but these are some of the points I would put in the essay - Any more points and further examples would be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending