The Student Room Group

Failed Uni twice. I want to start again.

1st Uni I dropped out in 2nd year. (I dropped out in 2013)
2nd Uni I dropped out 1st year. (I dropped out in Jan 2016)

I am a complete trash ***** sh*t head. I hate myself. I want to run away. I'm completely useless, I can't get anything right. I want to change that now. I want to go back for the 3rd time and this time I will pass this time. I am serious. I have let my parents down and myself down. I really don't want to tell you the reason why I dropped out. It's personal sorry.

The problem right now is that i'm having difficulty understanding my current situation with student finance right now. I am now 23 years old and I have no idea how student finance is going to support me now? Does anyone know how much is student finance is going to give me? Loan and Grant that is. Also am I to late to apply? I really really realy don't want to start Uni next year because I will be turning 25 years old.
My mom and dad earns around £15k each

I really appreciate some help. I really don't know what student finance is going to do.

Scroll to see replies

Too late to apply for 2016 entry I believe.
Sorry, I don't know how to answer but please don't say that about yourself :frown:
This is going to sound harsh but is honest as I can give it mate,

First of all get out of the self pity mode, like you said you're 23 years old.You're still really young and the world is your oyster. There's no point beating yourself up about the past you cant change it but what you can change is the future. What do you want to study, because for a large proportion of professions you can take series of online courses or internships whilst working part time allowing you to make some money and gain some skills. Going to university isn't a necessity to do well in life, granted it may help propel you into certain professions but you can reach goals and success without going to university.

But what Course and uni would you like to go?
Original post by Sadpuppie
1st Uni I dropped out in 2nd year. (I dropped out in 2013)
2nd Uni I dropped out 1st year. (I dropped out in Jan 2016)

I am a complete trash ***** sh*t head. I hate myself. I want to run away. I'm completely useless, I can't get anything right. I want to change that now. I want to go back for the 3rd time and this time I will pass this time. I am serious. I have let my parents down and myself down. I really don't want to tell you the reason why I dropped out. It's personal sorry.

The problem right now is that i'm having difficulty understanding my current situation with student finance right now. I am now 23 years old and I have no idea how student finance is going to support me now? Does anyone know how much is student finance is going to give me? Loan and Grant that is. Also am I to late to apply? I really really realy don't want to start Uni next year because I will be turning 25 years old.
My mom and dad earns around £15k each

I really appreciate some help. I really don't know what student finance is going to do.

How much tuition have you paid? And how much of your maintenance loan have you taken, and have you paid any of it back?
Reply 5
Original post by faisal148991
This is going to sound harsh but is honest as I can give it mate,

First of all get out of the self pity mode, like you said you're 23 years old.You're still really young and the world is your oyster. There's no point beating yourself up about the past you cant change it but what you can change is the future. What do you want to study, because for a large proportion of professions you can take series of online courses or internships whilst working part time allowing you to make some money and gain some skills. Going to university isn't a necessity to do well in life, granted it may help propel you into certain professions but you can reach goals and success without going to university.

But what Course and uni would you like to go?

I want to study games technology or Computer Science in Coventry Uni.

You could say I have strict parents, both my mom and dad always want me to wear a square hat :frown:
I have let them down twice my mom is very upset i can hear her cry sometimes in her sleep :frown: . I don't want to let them down no matter what. I do whatever it takes to pass. I have messed up.
Reply 6
Firstly it's not too late for UCAS

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/key-dates/2016

Secondly why do you want to go to you uni? Now? Why not take a breather... get a job. Get back on track. Give yourself time to really consider what you want to do and if that still involves going to university then apply in a year or two .

You get one "gift" year from SFE so that's definitely gone, and probably another couple of years also. That may leave just 1 year of student finance.

Also if you wait until you are 25+ then you will be considered independent of your parents anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I want to study games technology or Computer Science in Coventry Uni.

You could say I have strict parents, both my mom and dad always want me to wear a square hat :frown:
I have let them down twice my mom is very upset i can hear her cry sometimes in her sleep :frown: . I don't want to let them down no matter what. I do whatever it takes to pass. I have messed up.

What languages do you know?
Reply 8
Original post by hezzlington
How much tuition have you paid? And how much of your maintenance loan have you taken, and have you paid any of it back?

I can't give you the exact sum right now but I have paid some of first uni and ALL for 2nd uni.
Ask on the student finance section, but you have a real issue with funding.
They normally give you degree length +1 spare year for funding, just in case you make a mistake.

You appear to have used 3 years funding up and may have had difficulties getting the funding for your 2nd attempt?

Therefore the reasons why you left the 2 courses is important as you can apply for compelling personal circumstances, which if accepted means SFE ignore the relevant year. You will need evidence for this and you will need to talk to SFE.

I dont know how many times you cna get compelling personal circs, but at some stage they might decide it doesnt qualify and they will not fund you any more.
Only you know why you left, but it helps if you have the support of medical professionals.

On another note if you get the chance to restart again, then i wouldnt until you have convincingly dealt with the reasons why you left the other causes. I wouldnt stress about not wnating to wait, you really need to deal with the reasons why you couldnt complete.

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/ive-undertaken-a-higher-education-course-before--can-i-get-funding-again/

PQ can give you a better idea.
I can't give you the exact sum right now but I have paid some of first uni and ALL for 2nd uni.

Get on the phone to student finance tomorrow, explain what has happened with as much clarity as you can (they really need it to be spelled out for them) and then see how to progress from there.

You should be able to get one year of funding still.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Firstly it's not too late for UCAS

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/key-dates/2016

Secondly why do you want to go to you uni? Now? Why not take a breather... get a job. Get back on track. Give yourself time to really consider what you want to do and if that still involves going to university then apply in a year or two .

You get one "gift" year from SFE so that's definitely gone, and probably another couple of years also. That may leave just 1 year of student finance.

Also if you wait until you are 25+ then you will be considered independent of your parents anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason why I want to go Uni now is because I have sorted my life out.

Lets pretend I have no years for Student finance. Does that mean I have to pay £9 by my self for 3 years? My parents earn around £15k year anyone would know that is low. Yes I know I **** up so why the hell would student finance support me again? that is the sad part :frown:
Is there any other way around this?
Reply 12

Lets pretend I have no years for Student finance. Does that mean I have to pay £9 by my self for 3 years? My parents earn around £15k year anyone would know that is low. Yes I know I **** up so why the hell would student finance support me again? that is the sad part :frown:

Yes if you can't get SFE then you have to find the £9k per year yourself. Plus living costs.

But as someone mentioned you may be able to demonstrate compelling circumstances for dropping out previously. Check that option out.

Alternatively, as i said, get a job and also maybe look at OU part-time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
:frown:
Sorry :frown:
Maybe uni might not be for you? It's not for everyone. You can go back a third time but then you will just be in ridiculous amount of dept.

If you have 0 years left, then you are on your own and will have to save up the money and pay for it yourself. Thats why you need to see if you cna get some of the years discounted via compelling circumstances. You are light on detail.

OU and pay for with job might be more realistic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
Ask on the student finance section, but you have a real issue with funding.
They normally give you degree length +1 spare year for funding, just in case you make a mistake.

You appear to have used 3 years funding up and may have had difficulties getting the funding for your 2nd attempt?

Therefore the reasons why you left the 2 courses is important as you can apply for compelling personal circumstances, which if accepted means SFE ignore the relevant year. You will need evidence for this and you will need to talk to SFE.

I dont know how many times you cna get compelling personal circs, but at some stage they might decide it doesnt qualify and they will not fund you any more.
Only you know why you left, but it helps if you have the support of medical professionals.

On another note if you get the chance to restart again, then i wouldnt until you have convincingly dealt with the reasons why you left the other causes. I wouldnt stress about not wnating to wait, you really need to deal with the reasons why you couldnt complete.

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/ive-undertaken-a-higher-education-course-before--can-i-get-funding-again/

PQ can give you a better idea.

Thank you.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Yes if you can't get SFE then you have to find the £9k per year yourself. Plus living costs.

But as someone mentioned you may be able to demonstrate compelling circumstances for dropping out previously. Check that option out.

Alternatively, as i said, get a job and also maybe look at OU part-time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is OU part time?
Like people have mentioned before. Really consider how you will be funding for uni. You might be eligible for student finance to cover 1 year but you will have to personally pay for the remaining 2 years and plus pay for the previous 3 years. That will leave you with a lot of dept so I urge you to really consider that it's worth it...

If you want to study computer science then isn't it better if you worked at an IT company and trained with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
If you have 0 years left, then you are on your own and will have to save up the money and pay for it yourself. Thats why you need to see if you cna get some of the years discounted via compelling circumstances. You are light on detail.

OU and pay for with job might be more realistic.

What is OU. :frown:
I am really ***** I cannot pay £9 by my self my parents can't fund me. I'm lost.
My reason for dropping out is not enough to persuade student finance.

Latest