The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louise12307
Anyone got any predictions for PM and Cabinet? I have done plans for powers of the PM, importance of the Cabinet and presidentialism. Any others I should be aware of?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Jan 2013, the question on what extent the PM has become a Presidential came up, I doubt it will again.
What times your exam guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaas115
What times your exam guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

13:45
Original post by brown_unicorn
In Jan 2013, the question on what extent the PM has become a Presidential came up, I doubt it will again.

Original post by Louise12307
Anyone got any predictions for PM and Cabinet? I have done plans for powers of the PM, importance of the Cabinet and presidentialism. Any others I should be aware of?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Presidentialism of the PM also came up in 2015:

"To what extent are modern prime ministers now presidents in all but name?"

Also, @Louise12307- I feel like those are the only essay based questions PM/cabinet ever ask- do you think they're gonna change it up this year D=
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sarpedon
No, first time. Please tell me can I only revise 2 topics instead of 3? 3 is too much!!

3 is a safer best as the two topic you revise may be abc question only or only 40 markers
Original post by tom476zf
How effective are backbench MPs? (June 2012)
anyone got a plan for this

I posted one earlier on, page 45 I think
How effective are backbench MPs? (June 2012)
anyone got a plan for this

This essay isnt mine :smile: it was posted here previously
Original post by Hurbad
This essay isnt mine :smile: it was posted here previously

thankyou that really helped :smile: quick quesiton on 40 markers, are they always in the format of (Point against for) x4 or will some be (for for for against against against ) if that makes sense
Guys, can I skip the section about coalition goverments on PM unit?
thankyou that really helped :smile: quick quesiton on 40 markers, are they always in the format of (Point against for) x4 or will some be (for for for against against against ) if that makes sense

Honestly it depends on the persons style of writing and how clear it is for the examiner so instead of writing a massive paragraph which has 3 to 4 points and then a massive paragraph with 3 to 4 points against
its better to break it up like you said so Point -> For then Against x4 for the 40 marker and x2 for the 25 marker but detailed (according to my teacher)
But you need a lengthy conclusion for the 40 marker.

So if the question asks asses the advantages or disadvantages then you can clearly see its 1 sided but if it says to what extent then yeah both sides of the argument....
Guys what's your final predictions ???
Original post by Hurbad
Honestly it depends on the persons style of writing and how clear it is for the examiner so instead of writing a massive paragraph which has 3 to 4 points and then a massive paragraph with 3 to 4 points against
its better to break it up like you said so Point -> For then Against x4 for the 40 marker and x2 for the 25 marker but detailed (according to my teacher)
But you need a lengthy conclusion for the 40 marker.

So if the question asks asses the advantages or disadvantages then you can clearly see its 1 sided but if it says to what extent then yeah both sides of the argument....

I pray the questions are nice

I really hope parliament isn't about 'checking gov power' or 'lords more effective than the commons'
Original post by xxvine
I pray the questions are nice

I really hope parliament isn't about 'checking gov power' or 'lords more effective than the commons'

;(
ikr
Read about the type of Sovereignty's cause there is no other 5 mark question they can ask us xD
for the 10 mark its probably gonna be like explain three functions of parliament ( Remember section 3 and 4 there were 2 questions asking about functions so definitely there's gonna be a function question)

IM PRAYING TO GOD THAT THERE IS A ELECTED SECOND CHAMBER QUESTION CAUSE I WILL GO HAM ON THAT xD
and a presidential question or a prime minister dominates government xD

btw do you know the style of prime ministers? like i remember my teacher classifying them into 4 groups but i cant remember what they were exactly ....... :frown: any ideas?
i think one was reformer or something..... help
Original post by Hurbad
;(
ikr
Read about the type of Sovereignty's cause there is no other 5 mark question they can ask us xD
for the 10 mark its probably gonna be like explain three functions of parliament ( Remember section 3 and 4 there were 2 questions asking about functions so definitely there's gonna be a function question)

IM PRAYING TO GOD THAT THERE IS A ELECTED SECOND CHAMBER QUESTION CAUSE I WILL GO HAM ON THAT xD
and a presidential question or a prime minister dominates government xD

btw do you know the style of prime ministers? like i remember my teacher classifying them into 4 groups but i cant remember what they were exactly ....... :frown: any ideas?
i think one was reformer or something..... help

After unit 1 I don't even know what to expect tbh
I'm hoping they are far nicer on this paper but it's Edexcel so who knows lol

Tbh my PM knowledge is thin because I have been concentrating on the others but it's always something like is the PM a president?
Original post by xxvine
After unit 1 I don't even know what to expect tbh
I'm hoping they are far nicer on this paper but it's Edexcel so who knows lol

Tbh my PM knowledge is thin because I have been concentrating on the others but it's always something like is the PM a president?

Yeah how his becoming a president so you would talk about
Spatial Leadership(Blair not meeting with his cabinet for 4 days after being elected as its Tradition to meet the cabinet after an election)
Personalised campaign
Increased use in Prerogative powers(Blair declaring war)
Increase in Foreign affairs(Blair visiting over 40 countries before the Iraq war and making speeches after death of Diana and 9/11)
Virtual 10 downing street (Blair had 92 or something SPADS)
Media portraying him as a lone figure.

No
Prime doesnt have separate source of power in comparison to a president
Can be removed by his cabinet (Thatcher poll tax)
no confidence within the party (Blair 2007)
Not head of state but head of government
limitations on who they can appoint as cabinet minister(in comparison to presidential style)
some prime ministers had weak imagines ( Brown and John Mayor)
Reply 1115
Original post by Hurbad
Yeah how his becoming a president so you would talk about
Spatial Leadership(Blair not meeting with his cabinet for 4 days after being elected as its Tradition to meet the cabinet after an election)
Personalised campaign
Increased use in Prerogative powers(Blair declaring war)
Increase in Foreign affairs(Blair visiting over 40 countries before the Iraq war and making speeches after death of Diana and 9/11)
Virtual 10 downing street (Blair had 92 or something SPADS)
Media portraying him as a lone figure.

No
Prime doesnt have separate source of power in comparison to a president
Can be removed by his cabinet (Thatcher poll tax)
no confidence within the party (Blair 2007)
Not head of state but head of government
limitations on who they can appoint as cabinet minister(in comparison to presidential style)
some prime ministers had weak imagines ( Brown and John Mayor)

Presidentialism came up last year, could be what limits pm power...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
Presidentialism came up last year, could be what limits pm power...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So Events , Media , Party support , coalition , Parliamentary majority ? any other limitations ?
Original post by Shad4w

I think it was mentioned in 2012/13 so i doubt it they will but You never know since they pulled a fast one in UNit 1 xD
Original post by Hurbad
I think it was mentioned in 2012/13 so i doubt it they will but You never know since they pulled a fast one in UNit 1 xD

Did you go overr it?

Quick Reply