The Student Room Group

2016 Unofficial M1 Mark Scheme? 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordrohan731
Ok so the length of each line doesn't matter in proportion to each other? Thanks anyway for answering my questions and the unofficial mark scheme. Think I dropped 5-6 marks in total so fingers crossed, 90 ums.

i think youd be surprised. last 3 papers have been 71,70 and 68 just for 100 ums. youve probably got a lot more than 90 ums
For the qs where we had to sketch the graph... I sketched in a way that T seemed larger than 25 so how many marks would I lose ?
Original post by ChilliLemon
For question 2) (b)

I wrote the reaction force is equal to 15.45N.
Buth then i wrote the force exerted on the steel pan is 15.45 - 1.5g, so i took away the weight of the brick, and got 0.75N.

Will i stil get full marks because i wrote dwon that R=15.45N, though this was not my final answer?

My teacher told me today that the examiners should mark any correct answer on the paper, they told us not to cross anything out if we have two answers as the correct one will be marked. I hope this is true because I did exactly the same thing
I got something along 66 marks for the paper, how many UMS marks do you guys think that would be?
1) for the last question i did a stupid error and mis read the mass of the particle on the horizontal plane as 3
so in my simlatenous equations i had 3a on both of the equations
my method and everything was fine it was just that i copied the wrong mass down
this question was 8 for the (a) part
now this followeed through into the 8b part as i used teh same value but again my formula adn method were fine even the direction
hwo much would i get for this out of 12 in total?

1( for the 10 mark co efficent of fricition one i took friction in teh wrong direction and again wroking and everything was right and i did get the right answer but because i took it in the opposite way i got -0.73
out of 10 how much would i get for this question? :frown: i really hope they dont cut too much for this silly error?

I am absolutely so dissapointed that i made such silly errors but ill save you my sorrow. Do try adn get back to me thanks
So guys for the graph Q it was out of 12. If I drew the correct graph, found that the total time of motion was 40s

But my last calculation of T was wrong, how many marks do you think I would get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For question 8 (last question) something went wrong with my rearranging and got T as 7 something, I represented things right and used the right equations, something went wrong when rearranging etc. I did the correct working out for the second part of it, like splitting it into two 45 degree angles etc and all of that but used my incorrect value for T from the first question, how many total marks out of the 12 do you think I can get if I only got the values for Tension wrong due to some error rearranging and the force on pulley wrong as I continued with the incorrect value?
Original post by Killzone200
For question 8 (last question) something went wrong with my rearranging and got T as 7 something, I represented things right and used the right equations, something went wrong when rearranging etc. I did the correct working out for the second part of it, like splitting it into two 45 degree angles etc and all of that but used my incorrect value for T from the first question, how many total marks out of the 12 do you think I can get if I only got the values for Tension wrong due to some error rearranging and the force on pulley wrong as I continued with the incorrect value?

You probably did what I did, put t-0.3g=ma which is correct...but then for the second equation did t-3g=ma....when it should have been 3g-t=ma because on the down equation t acted against ma......really annoyed I did that....it's so easy to do
For question 6 i accidentally used 2-d for the second equation instead of 4-d. Which led to me getting different values for M and d. That was the only error in my working out. How many marks would i lose? I'm guessing the A1 marks and a B1 mark?

Is there any sort of follow through marks or did me using (2-d) ruin everything?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for these answers! 😃😃

I was just wondering, the quesrion where you had to find T (when train M overtakes train N) i rather stupidly wrote it to 2 sigfigs. So i did the calulation, then wrote t=8.75....t=8.8s

Would i still get all the marks?
Reply 310
For the scale pan q, is this an ok method? Does it matter that I called it F instead of R (who knows why I did that lmao)?

F=ma on scale pan (ignoring mass & weight of brick)

20.6-0.5g-F=0.5x0.5
15.7-F=0.25
F=15.7-0.25 =15.45 -> 15.5 (3sf)
Original post by dhruz789
For the qs where we had to sketch the graph... I sketched in a way that T seemed larger than 25 so how many marks would I lose ?

im not sure you would lose any as for just part a of the question you wouldnt know if T was larger than 25
Original post by NatoHeadshot
1) for the last question i did a stupid error and mis read the mass of the particle on the horizontal plane as 3
so in my simlatenous equations i had 3a on both of the equations
my method and everything was fine it was just that i copied the wrong mass down
this question was 8 for the (a) part
now this followeed through into the 8b part as i used teh same value but again my formula adn method were fine even the direction
hwo much would i get for this out of 12 in total?

1( for the 10 mark co efficent of fricition one i took friction in teh wrong direction and again wroking and everything was right and i did get the right answer but because i took it in the opposite way i got -0.73
out of 10 how much would i get for this question? :frown: i really hope they dont cut too much for this silly error?

I am absolutely so dissapointed that i made such silly errors but ill save you my sorrow. Do try adn get back to me thanks

for question part you would still get a lot of method marks as most marks come from forming equations, for part b you would get 2-3 marks depending on its the a1 is a followthrough

for the friction question again i think you would get most of your method marks which could be quite a lot as you had to from and solve two equations simultaneously , however you should have noticed that you cant have a negative cooefficient of friction so examiners could be harsh. still could get 4-5+ minimum

ask your teacher, they can give you a better idea
Original post by KINGYusuf
So guys for the graph Q it was out of 12. If I drew the correct graph, found that the total time of motion was 40s

But my last calculation of T was wrong, how many marks do you think I would get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 marks for correct graph

comparing the second part to june 2012 question 4c mark scheme, here is how they broke down the marks

1 method, 3 accuarcy for finding total time
1 dm1 + 1 a1 for solving T
1 dm1 + 1 a1 for getting final answer

i know the questions arent exactly the same so you cant compare directly where marks are given, but you probably got a lot of marks for finding total time, at least 4+
Original post by JamesC19
Thank you for these answers! 😃😃

I was just wondering, the quesrion where you had to find T (when train M overtakes train N) i rather stupidly wrote it to 2 sigfigs. So i did the calulation, then wrote t=8.75....t=8.8s

Would i still get all the marks?

if you have written 8.75 before then you will get full marks and the should ignore subsequent working
Original post by BB8
For the scale pan q, is this an ok method? Does it matter that I called it F instead of R (who knows why I did that lmao)?

F=ma on scale pan (ignoring mass & weight of brick)

20.6-0.5g-F=0.5x0.5
15.7-F=0.25
F=15.7-0.25 =15.45 -> 15.5 (3sf)

if you got the right answer then you will get full marks if you showed your method.
This might be dumb, but I read on a previous mark scheme that for the first method mark u needed to show "at least 1 1/2" when working out the area under the speed time graph. I just wrote down a simplified version so instead of 0.5 X 30 X 30, I wrote 15 X 30. The rest of my method was fine and I got the write answer. The examiner will be fine with this right I hope ?!!
Original post by CaiusMartius
This might be dumb, but I read on a previous mark scheme that for the first method mark u needed to show "at least 1 1/2" when working out the area under the speed time graph. I just wrote down a simplified version so instead of 0.5 X 30 X 30, I wrote 15 X 30. The rest of my method was fine and I got the write answer. The examiner will be fine with this right I hope ?!!

yes
Original post by KloppOClock
yes

That's a relief, I was pretty sure method marks could be implied by further correct working. Also I guess the examiner isn't stupid, they can see you've just simplified it in your head.
Grade boundaries for this paper?

fking can't believe I lost 6 raw marks on Q1. :argh:

:rip: 8 ums which I needed badly.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending