The Student Room Group

can we get braces for free from NHS for under 18s?

I'm under 17 and looking to get braces, the dentist refused to refer me to the NHS but contacted the private orthodontist instead. The cost for having braces in our local orthodontist is around £2,000.

Considering I'm under 18, we found out that the NHS does provide braces with a certain fee of around £300. Does anyone know if we can get it done in the hospital or do we really have to go to the orthodontist? If so, where should we make the appointment? Who should we contact?

Many thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by JustinL5775
I'm under 17 and looking to get braces, the dentist refused to refer me to the NHS but contacted the private orthodontist instead. The cost for having braces in our local orthodontist is around £2,000.

Considering I'm under 18, we found out that the NHS does provide braces with a certain fee of around £300. Does anyone know if we can get it done in the hospital or do we really have to go to the orthodontist? If so, where should we make the appointment? Who should we contact?

You can do it with the NHS istead of private but it may be that your corrent dentist is private and not linked to the NHS (so wouldn't be able to refer into NHS). If that is the case you'll just need to find somebody with the NHS to refer you instead.
Is there an NHS dentist near you? You could just register there (would mean you un-register at the other though) and ask them for an appointment about braces.
You could also try phoning around at places like hospitals, NHS dentists or the dental helpline to see if you can do it another way.
Migt be best to register at an NHS dentist so any follow up will go through the NHS without any trouble too.
You'd probably be able to re-register at your old dentist later (as long as they have space) so to save over a grand it's worth the hastle. :smile:

Only if you have a sudden weight loss due to a communicable illness. The best bet is just to buy a smaller belt or tighter trousers ...

If your dentist doesnt feel you need them then they are more likely to charge you for it.

Quick Reply

Latest