The Student Room Group

Disabled girl handcuffed by Sussex Police,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
By strangling them? Depends on how they handcuffed her. Are you going to complain about her being handcuffed to the rear?

Do we know what the weight of this girl was? Even hwen handcuffed even someone weighs enough and the police officers in question are not so strong (do we know whether police officers were male even? Perhaps they were thin females?) then it can be difficult to move the suspect around if they are kicking with their legs and/or refusing to go with you while also simultaneously spitting in your face. Hence the need for leg restraints and the spit-hood.

Have you ever seen someone actually fight for their life? Whether or not them thinking they are going to die is justified or not they certainly do look like monsters and they become as strong as one too!

its quite inhumane, they treat her like a dog with a muzzle. she was frightened, maybe if the officers had taken into account her illness then she could have been calmed down first by her parents/carer/professional
Original post by lascelles101
its quite inhumane, they treat her like a dog with a muzzle. she was frightened, maybe if the officers had taken into account her illness then she could have been calmed down first by her parents/carer/professional

But they didn't know...??? That's not their fault. If they known then they could have been more reasonable with her, but they probably just thought she was a paranoid schizo or something when she freaked out, which is no doubt what would happen to require two officers to use leg restraints on an 11 year old girl (and she was probably quite fat; hence heavy for her age).
(edited 7 years ago)

So, either the child is:

A) A human with their own personal agency. They are spitting therefore they they get a spithood to stop them spitting.

B) Unable to think or act for herself and is in essence just an animal. Gets treated like one.

It's entirely possible they were excessive with what they did, but please lets not ignore the fact that there could have been decent reasons why they did so. Your "someone please think of the children" is both completely ignoring their own responsibility and patronising over the level of intelligence of children.
The girl was restrained with handcuffs, leg restraints and a mesh anti-spit hood . this girl has a nurological condition which means she can behave in a challenging manner. however should she be treated like that?? especially with the use of a spit-hood

shld have put her down too.
Original post by Zargabaath
Lmao, you derail topics to make it about muslims and then post agreement with threads complaining about the discussion of muslims :rofl:

I just wanted to trigger him tbh , worked tbh lmao
Original post by TelAviv
Aw yay I have my own little fan club following me around :colondollar:

Fck i wanted to trigger you , welp failed.
Original post by aarora
I feel like the term disabled is used too extensively nowadays. I feel like the term should be limited to individuals with Down's Syndrome, those in a wheelchair, blind/deaf people etc. The article didn't really go into the extent of her disability, it just mentioned "challenging behaviour", that to me isn't a disability, many children at that age can have a challenging behaviour regardless of a neurological condition or not, so that doesn't mean just because she's referred to as disabled that she should get a free pass. If your restraining arrest, spitting or being forceful I think she was rightly restrained by the police.
I'm honestly very happy for you if you feel you can have this naive kind of attitude toward disability. You've clearly never had to suffer with the kinds of problems a broken brain (like my own or those of most of my friends) can give you.

Original post by e hine e
I like to think that in this day and age with the knowledge of things such as autism and ADHD that even the general public has, members of the police force wouldn't immediately think 'violent criminal, must be restrained' when they see an 11 year old child thrashing about. I'm guessing the 11 year old child couldn't overpower the police.

(I've grown up with an autistic sibling who could be challenging and physical, but I would imagine a police officer would be able to restrain her without the use of three separate restraining tools.)
Unfortunately, it's the nature of HFA to not be obvious at a glance; nobody even had an inkling that I was autistic until I was well past school age - probably my early twenties. If you see someone acting dangerously, you're going to treat them accordingly and protect yourself. Though physical restraint for what sounds like nothing more than a Section 5 (Public Order) offence is way overstepping the mark.

I understand the autistic sibling thing though. I've got relatives with various forms of autism and it gets really ****en ugly when they get distressed. And then there's my brother, who is psychotic - at eleven (at which point I was sixteen) he could pose quite a threat to me, to the point where if he was flying into a rage I'd have to put his arms up his back or he'd have had the house in bits.

Original post by e hine e
Being high functioning doesn't mean that someone still can't have a meltdown or be distressed. I'm not sure any 11 year old should be treated 'like a criminal' without proper investigation and support. It seems to me that this episode could have been made much more bearable for both the police and the girl if only they had drafted in some adult help for her. Police services are vastly under-prepared when it comes to dealing with children and those who are disabled or mentally ill. In all other areas of life we expect people to be treated appropriate to their situation and abilities.
In my own experience, I'd go so far as to say this is sometimes more likely with HFA. I've had some real humdingers in my time, because of the conflicts going on in my head. It's also acknowledged that HFA and Asperger's can cause severe depression (which could write books about... scratch that, I have done) which, of course, can gender some horrific mental states wherein the person does awful things.

Of course that isn't an excuse. They definitely should have made more effort to treat the child accordingly, once they found out she had

Original post by minimarshmallow
I think the biggest issue is the 60 hours she was held for. That's 2 AND A HALF DAYS! That's a long time to be held with no responsible adult or mental health nurse.
Yeah. I wonder if anyone's written to the IPCC about that, and what the reply's likely to be.

I know the law on criminal responsibility, but the girl is 11, shes not that dangerous
There are children younger than that running around with guns.

Also the age of criminal responsibility would not be ten unless people that age were capable of being dangerous.
Reply 67
Original post by the bear
of course :h:

Why am I not surprised that bear's all up for tying up a vulnerable little girl, putting a bag on her head and leaving her in a cell.
if she let one off then the feds have every right to cuff her, Equality
Do we get to know why she was arrested?

Apart from "minor offences" ofcourse.

I would of thought it would be obvious that any child would 'resist arrest',
It's also obvious that you don't need to use the same force on an 11 year old girl as you would with a adult man.
Seems less like a lack of training, more like a lack of decency and sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
the girl was restrained with handcuffs, leg restraints and a mesh anti-spit hood . This girl has a nurological condition which means she can behave in a challenging manner. However should she be treated like that?? Especially with the use of a spit-hood

loooooooooooooool
Original post by hovado
Why am I not surprised that bear's all up for tying up a vulnerable little girl, putting a bag on her head and leaving her in a cell.

i can't put you in a cell but welcome to my ignore list :h:
Original post by aarora
I feel like the term disabled is used too extensively nowadays. I feel like the term should be limited to individuals with Down's Syndrome, those in a wheelchair, blind/deaf people etc.

I agree. I seem to remember that a woman was in the Paralympics for having ... Autism. She'd have such an unfair advantage.
Original post by ApieceOFsoap
shld have put her down too.

your a horrible person who should come off this website
Original post by MildredMalone
I agree. I seem to remember that a woman was in the Paralympics for having ... Autism. She'd have such an unfair advantage.

Do you actually know the criteria in regards to the Paralympics and learning disabilities? Which autism is.

The ignorance in this thread (and I've not read the whole thread) is shocking. I think some of you need to educate yourself, seriously.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you actually know the criteria in regards to the Paralympics and learning disabilities? Which autism is.

I know it's a learning difficulty. I just don't think it's fair she's in with people with physical difficulties, as it gives her an unfair advantage.
I know it's a learning difficulty. I just don't think it's fair she's in with people with physical difficulties, as it gives her an unfair advantage.

She won't be in with people with physical disabilities. In the same that as someone who is partially sighted, I wouldn't be in with someone who couldn't walk.
Reply 77
Original post by the bear
i can't put you in a cell but welcome to my ignore list :h:

Oh noes, i've offended you by restating your own opinion.:s-smilie:

What's wrong not PC? Triggering?

The paralympics has a points scoring system for disabilities and for team sports they are given X number of points to allocate towards a team. As you say, autism may have a relatively low impact and so they would use up significantly more points than someone less able in that sport.

I'm not 100% certain how it works for individual sports, but I'm sure they have something appropriate in place.

You're not the first person to recognise that there is a wide range of disabilities that need to be taken into account...
Original post by Elivercury
The paralympics has a points scoring system for disabilities and for team sports they are given X number of points to allocate towards a team. As you say, autism may have a relatively low impact and so they would use up significantly more points than someone less able in that sport.

I'm not 100% certain how it works for individual sports, but I'm sure they have something appropriate in place.

You're not the first person to recognise that there is a wide range of disabilities that need to be taken into account...

It depends the Autism affects the individual. For many, it's not a condition which has a relatively low impact. And many have other disabilities too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending