The Student Room Group

Multipath dispersion

Reasons that multipath dispersion occur?
Like why?
Reply 1
I know the advantage and reason behind a smaller core but like whats the reason multipath dispersion occurs?
Original post by Ayaz789
I know the advantage and reason behind a smaller core but like whats the reason multipath dispersion occurs?

I may be wrong, but I believe it's due to having a wide core and so complete total internal reflection doesn't occur, but partial TIR does, so strands of the light Ray can then become stray from the main bit. This results in there being a messed up data sample at the end of the optical fibre :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Gapyearstudent54
I may be wrong, but I believe it's due to having a wide core and so complete total internal reflection doesn't occur, but partial TIR does, so strands of the light Ray can then become stray from the main bit. This results in there being a messed up data sample at the end of the optical fibre :smile:

Okay but i doubt they'll ask that in the exam and will probably just ask the reason for a smaller core which reduces multipath dispersion and gives a better signal
Original post by Ayaz789
Okay but i doubt they'll ask that in the exam and will probably just ask the reason for a smaller core which reduces multipath dispersion and gives a better signal

Yeah, I think they'll just do that. Is this for the PHYA2 paper this afternoon?
Reply 5
Original post by Gapyearstudent54
Yeah, I think they'll just do that. Is this for the PHYA2 paper this afternoon?

Yep!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest