The Student Room Group

How are AS levels graded?

I did AS maths this year and just finished M1. I just wanted to know how exactly are the AS levels graded? I absolutely aced C1 & C2 but I actually had a panic attack in M1 and that cost me a few marks. My question is, do you need to get a minimum grade on each component to get an A or do they add up the results of all the components and refer to a cumulative threshold that you need to pass to get an A? I hope it's the latter, because I don't want to get a bad grade having aced 2 components because of a panic attack and a (rather difficult) mechanics exam.
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Each unit converts into UMS based on your raw marks, then they add it and give the respective grade. UMS boundaries are always the same but the conversion to raw mark changes. It's usually 240 UMS for an A so if you got full marks (exaggerated) on C1 and C2 you'd get 200 UMS but you got a E in m1, that still adds up to 240 UMS so you get an A. For an A* at a level you need over 80's UMS in each component at AS and 90 in C3&4
Reply 2
Original post by zayn008
Each unit converts into UMS based on your raw marks, then they add it and give the respective grade. UMS boundaries are always the same but the conversion to raw mark changes. It's usually 240 UMS for an A so if you got full marks (exaggerated) on C1 and C2 you'd get 200 UMS but you got a E in m1, that still adds up to 240 UMS so you get an A. For an A* at a level you need over 80's UMS in each component at AS and 90 in C3&4

don't you mean you need 480 in total, i.e. 80 average, I don't think you need 80 in every module
Reply 3
Original post by Stallzy
don't you mean you need 480 in total, i.e. 80 average, I don't think you need 80 in every module

It would've been much easier if just said it like that, although it's 240 for an A at AS
Reply 4
Original post by zayn008
It would've been much easier if just said it like that, although it's 240 for an A at AS

Indeed it is, I got 235 at AS and have resit my c2 and s1 to hopefully bring it closer to 300
Reply 5
Original post by Stallzy
Indeed it is, I got 235 at AS and have resit my c2 and s1 to hopefully bring it closer to 300

5 UMS… damn I hope you get it! How did you find it?

Quick Reply

Latest