The Student Room Group

Best Literature degree in terms of flexibility..?

For the past couple years I was (naively perhaps) set on doing my Literature degree at Newcastle Uni in 2017.

Since then however my tutor suggested looking at Queen Mary in London which I have now fallen in love with for a huge host of reasons, though mostly because of their wide range of modules to pick from (currently a list of 121!)

I've taken my tutors advice at looking more closely at the modules available on different courses and have realised that I am not really interested in the course at Newcastle. Any other unis I have looked at are similar and pretty limited in choice.

Was just wondering if there are any other reputable universities that are flexible in this way that I should look at? I'm interested in modules to do with women in literature and post-colonial texts.
You don't seriously expect other people to do your research for you? All you have to do is type "[random university name] Literature department" into google, then click on the webpage to find be a list of undergraduate modules. It won't take long, a few hours at most.
Reply 2
Don't you think thats what I have been doing? I appreciate your comment but I'm here because there is only so much a university website can tell you. I was only asking for a second opinion or any recommendations from actual Lit students. Whats so wrong in that?
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
You don't seriously expect other people to do your research for you? All you have to do is type "[random university name] Literature department" into google, then click on the webpage to find be a list of undergraduate modules. It won't take long, a few hours at most.

OP is just seeking advice or recommendations from people who may have experience she can draw on. Hardly justifies your criticism.

QM would be a good choice, btw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by brxvebird
Don't you think thats what I have been doing? I appreciate your comment but I'm here because there is only so much a university website can tell you. I was only asking for a second opinion or any recommendations from actual Lit students. Whats so wrong in that?

University websites in general give very detailed and specific information about course structure and module information, so I'm not really sure what the issue is. There is nothing is wrong with asking Lit students about their personal experience with their university, but with respect, that's not what you asked.
Hey, I studied literature at Durham which I really enjoyed, a lot of the special topics allow for flexibility in second and third year but less so in first, and there definitely could have been more diversity in terms of moving away from the canon. I would look out for modules with key words like postcolonialism and women in literature - tend to indicate a department with a diverse mindset, less rigid in their ways. The UEA (East Anglia) course is supposed to be pretty great, so I would definitely look into there
Reply 6
Original post by saster
OP is just seeking advice or recommendations from people who may have experience she can draw on. Hardly justifies your criticism.

QM would be a good choice, btw.

Original post by lilybriscoe
Hey, I studied literature at Durham which I really enjoyed, a lot of the special topics allow for flexibility in second and third year but less so in first, and there definitely could have been more diversity in terms of moving away from the canon. I would look out for modules with key words like postcolonialism and women in literature - tend to indicate a department with a diverse mindset, less rigid in their ways. The UEA (East Anglia) course is supposed to be pretty great, so I would definitely look into there

Thank you both so much. This is really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest