The Student Room Group

Feminism is needed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Screwsocietyy
women are still treated like second class citizens in most areas

Who let you on the computer? Arent you supposed to be in the kitchen?!
Women get paid less than men.

Because you work in a school and REAL MEN work REAL JOBS
Original post by Craig1998
Feminism = Gender equality

If you don't support feminism, you're a bigot.

If you don't support Trump, you're a racist.
Original post by KnightCode
"they have police specifically to tell women to dress more modestly, take off their make up etc" proves conservative culture or country.

" ISIS women are not allowed to show their hair or face but men are, it's not just a equal conservative thing" - an extreme religion which is a minority and disapproved by the society and the Muslim community itself

"Are you trying to argue that men & women in Muslim countries are equal?" No ofc their not equal, its unfair I know but Feminism won't fix that. Provide me a list of feminism achievements pls. Is feminism even a legitimate authority? No

"What about virginity? I was watching a documentary yesterday that said in Turkey women are often killed if they do not bleed when they first have sex with their husband." again more culture. Feminism can't fix culture issues. Feminism is a divided movement which conservative, white, black, social, radical feminist. e.g. How can a movement so divided represent equality.

Feminism is divided but one thing we all have in common is the determination to help women. Even if it's cultural, they are wrong if they are oppressing women. Why should a woman be lesser off than me because of the culture she is born into? Needs to change
It's a social/political movement..
Feminist achievements:
- getting the vote
- being able to have sex before marriage
- encouraging women into work if they want to
- abortion being made legal
- women being able to get education
- the right to birth control
- the right to be able to divorce your husband
- husbands abusing their wives is now illegal
- husbands raping their wives is now illegal
- maternity leave
just to name some..

Anything that is done to advocate women's rights is feminist
Original post by lehcarbat
Obviously third world issues are more important, but feminism isn't completely irrelevant in the first world. We can use feminism to empower women to go into certain areas of work where they are under represented and I think more women need to be in government, every government in the world is predominantly male Have you considered the reasons WHY one gender is underespresented in the government? If we look at the number of female MP candidates I dont think the numbers will be as skewed as you seem to want to make out
Also one thing we haven't talked about is the fact that USA, supposedly the most privileged country, has some weird views on abortion. Republicans standing for president usually want to ban abortion or make cuts to Planned Parenthood. I feel like this is why Hilary can make her campaign somewhat about feminism, because it is relevant in US for this reason. Obviously, we don't have that problem in UK of our abortion laws being threatened if a new prime minister comes in, but they do.. Some states make it very difficult already for women to have an abortion. Also, they don't have free healthcare so abortions wouldn't be free - I think all of this is a first world feminist issue. Contraception is available I do believe in America. People object to abortions for several reasons, not that I agree with them. the abortions are not being withheld because the people who would receive them are women, they are being withheld because of what they perceive the abortion as entailing.
Also, just because women are near equal in the first world, doesn't mean we shouldn't call ourselves feminists in respect of everything the movement has done and to speak out for feminist issues in the third world because those women can't. Cant or wont? We hold Malala in great esteem because she spoke up. The original feminist movement had to start somewhere, and it was with people speaking out against the (actual) inequality in treatment between genders. Yes Malala was shot, but look a the outpouring of support she received for what she did. We can support and encourage women in the third world, but the call for change has to come from them to be successful.
Arbitrary message
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lehcarbat
Feminism is divided but one thing we all have in common is the determination to help women. Even if it's cultural, they are wrong if they are oppressing women. Why should a woman be lesser off than me because of the culture she is born into? Needs to change
It's a social/political movement..
Feminist achievements:
- getting the vote
- being able to have sex before marriage
- encouraging women into work if they want to
- abortion being made legal
- women being able to get education
- the right to birth control
- the right to be able to divorce your husband
- husbands abusing their wives is now illegal
- husbands raping their wives is now illegal
- maternity leave
just to name some..

Anything that is done to advocate women's rights is feminist

1. Getting the vote ( yes that was feminism, the fight to give females right) and they were the best feminist (the suffragettes)
2.Encourage women to get into work? What where they not interested in work before? There is a lack of females in STEM and feminist answers is that companies (which is already happening) are providing programs and recruiting females. This is unfair as f***. This similar states females can't compete with men in work so are offered jobs. Would you like to get a job just cause UR a female? I would find it oppressive
3. Abortion made legal. You do realize that it was a man who wasn't a feminist but believed in Equal rights that made the Abortion law. David steel is the name.
You can't rename just rename an achievement made by a person who believes in equality but not a feminist into a feminist achievement.
The other points you provided are all just affects of culture and maternity leave is quite an obvious. It doesn't take a feminist to realize females need a leave during a pregnancy .
Feminism is divided but one thing we all have in common is the determination to help women. Wait i thought feminism was equal rights for females and men and the LGBT(1/2)+ and races. Don't be biased and ignorant to men issues :tongue:

but i agree with that "Why should a woman be lesser off than me because of the culture she is born into?" It horribly unfair how religion and cultures affect us. But feminist isn't going to change culture. It takes the religion and culture themselves to realize their unfairness and change it.
Most areas.

For example football. Women are banned from being in the same team as men.

Troll in the dungeon :colonhash:
Original post by WhiteL1vesMatter
If you don't support Trump, you're a racist.

Quick Reply

Latest