The Student Room Group

Do you feel more British or more European?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Wondering

There should be a third option: both

I do feel British but I get "European" too. I first got why I am European when I went to the States...
Reply 21
The two are not mutual exclusivly. Being a good Englishman meens you are a good European as well.

A patriotic European also would oppose the idea of an European Union since the the idea of an federalised Europe is anti-European itself. Instead we should promote the idea of an Europe, a family of nations where every such nation is an individual who respect the other one and where every individual nations has its personal freedom.
Britain is in Europe you daft fools. It's an island thirty kilometers off the coast of France, not in the middle of North Atlantic.
Neither really tbh. I'm Kentish, English and Irish.
*nobody* feels "european" more than their own nationality. europe isn't a community. it's the most heterogeneous continent on the planet, even.
if actually you feel "european" more than your nationality, I pity you. because you don't live in the real world. you live in the power-crazed world of the brussels bureaucrats.
(edited 7 years ago)
I feel this is very relevant to those that say British.

[video="youtube;3ykhP_cd9LU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ykhP_cd9LU[/video]
Although I have a British EU passport and was born here, and my genes go back here to pre-British times,

I feel more Japanese than anything else, I like the outfits, ideally I think I would be a Japanese American living
in California.
Original post by ATW1
Britain has little in common with the rest of Europe and as a Brit I don't feel at all European.

I feel pretty confident that if you spoke to some people from the continent you would find more in common than different. In fact I would extend that to the whole world.
Original post by sleepysnooze
*nobody* feels "european" more than their own nationality. europe isn't a community. it's the most heterogeneous continent on the planet, even.
if actually you feel "european" more than your nationality, I pity you. because you don't live in the real world. you live in the power-crazed world of the brussels bureaucrats.

Californians probably feel more American. so not so daft.
Original post by Yellow 03
There should be a third option: both

I do feel British but I get "European" too. I first got why I am European when I went to the States...

I thought about that, but I wanted to force people to really think about it. So while you can feel both, as I'm sure most people do. I wondered which identity was slightly closer to their hearts, so the key word is 'more'.
Just British, byt nice to be part of 500 million + Europeans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Jack
Californians probably feel more American. so not so daft.

yes because there's no californian culture, language (hardly any) history, etc :| I can't believe you're making this pitiful comparison. america wasn't federated via identity/community, it was federated for a deliberate dispersal of power.
(edited 7 years ago)
yes because there's no californian culture, language (hardly any) history, etc :| I can't believe you're making this pitiful comparison. america wasn't federated via identity/community, it was federated for a deliberate dispersal of power.

In the future the difference between the two will be very little. With the internet, differences between cultures are gradually being smoothed out. I don't think it's that bad a comparison.
I only feel European when I watch Eurovision.
British. I'm not European
I feel more English TBH. I prefer to be called English than British and if someone called me European I would probably punch them XD

Vote leave 2k16
European I guess.
British, I have no affinity to Europe.

What a sad post. This sums up the worst of those who like to call themselves patriotic. A complete disregard of how others feel or any understanding of views and opinions which are different to your own.

Those who feel European embrase different people of different nationalities and are enriched by a wide variety of cultures and ideas. They are outward looking.

You apoear to be inward looking and terrified of anyone who doesn't look or think like you.
Original post by ByEeek
What a sad post. This sums up the worst of those who like to call themselves patriotic. A complete disregard of how others feel or any understanding of views and opinions which are different to your own.

Those who feel European embrase different people of different nationalities and are enriched by a wide variety of cultures and ideas. They are outward looking.

You apoear to be inward looking and terrified of anyone who doesn't look or think like you.

I love europe as a continent, but you cannot tell me that simply being "outward looking" will change reality of european cultural heterogeneity .
europe isn't a community like a nation-state is in terms of communal bonds. europe is a continent where the only thing that unites us is our liberal views (at least in *western* europe. that isn't much though, is it? the entire western world has liberal views. therefore, that's arbitrary in terms of a common identity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending