The Student Room Group

AQA AS Politics GovP2 09/06/16 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

****. You guys think HoL reforms will come up?😨
Ideally I'd just like how a question on functions of parliament..
Original post by mg1234
Ahhh! Didn't notice this was an AQA forum, I'm taking the Edexcel exam

oh lol
Original post by BirdIsWord

I definitely think that the Constitution 25 marker will be around uncodified/codified while parliaments will be HoL Reforms and Core Exec. will be around PM being too powerful.either way im screwed haha

it could but it came up last year as a 10 marker so i doubt it. hope not but i think its not that hard like points could be reducing their powers with parliament act 1911/49, hofl act 199 removal of hereditary peers, proposed reforms to scrap as its undemocratic

yeah that's what my teachers predicted from past exams
i think in parliament topic the 25 marker will be: limits and constraints of PM power or powers of ministers... but really hoping its not civil servants as they came up last 2 years :/
Original post by sazriah
i think in parliament topic the 25 marker will be: limits and constraints of PM power or powers of ministers... but really hoping its not civil servants as they came up last 2 years :/

hahahah not in parliament luv
Original post by lascelles101
yeah that's what my teachers predicted from past exams

Do you think there will be a judiciary question as a 10 marker? if so do you have a general judiciary essay plan
Original post by sazriah

Original post by govandpolitics

core executive--> the civil service would not come up
Why has there been a growth in judicial review?
I can't get my head around the reasons for judicial review and judicial activism
Original post by Sademajek
Do you think there will be a judiciary question as a 10 marker? if so do you have a general judiciary essay plan

give me 10/15 mins
what about the judiciary?? independence/neutrality or do the function properly?
(edited 7 years ago)

heres the articles essay plan soon coming
Original post by govandpolitics

oops yeah i meant core executive lol hopefully not civ servants
Original post by Sabnamraii
Why has there been a growth in judicial review?
I can't get my head around the reasons for judicial review and judicial activism

judicial activism is where you interpret the const. in the modern way./ jugdes interpret it a modern way - they see themselves as being responsiable for creating new legislation (case law).
judicial review is where a supreme court reviews a law and they can say its "incompatable" but cannot block it. the US supreme court can block it. there has been an increase in reviews as there has been more constitutional ammendments and an increase in activism
1998- 4500applications for review whereas in the next decade the number tripled.
(edited 7 years ago)

They are notindependent and neutral
NEUTRALThere is a narrow social background of senior judges= all but one of the LawLords Oxbridge educated, eleven were male and the average age of them was 68
NEUTRALMany senior judges have/have had seats in the House of Lords- which was seen asConservative instution until the 1990s- have had Cons. influence
Increasingpolitcial dialogue between judges and politicians,over sentencing policy andprotection of rights- not direct interference but politically influencingjudges

INDEPENDENTSeparation of powers- the Lord Chancellor, as of the Constitutional Reform Act2005, is no longer head of the judicial system
INDEPENDENTThe Appointments Commission- can object to senior appointments and makesnon-polticial appointments
NEUTRALRulings against the Government have risen- for example, in the mid-1990s,Michael Howard (Home Secretary), loss of a string of judicial reviews againstprisoners who said that his prison regime breached their human rights

Conclusion
To a largeextent, they are independent and neutral, but they are some factors of thejudiciary that breach this, such as their appointment.
who do you lot think has more power and why: ministers or civil servents or special advisors
How does parliament undermine the independence of the judiciary?
Reply 177
Any final predictions for this afternoon for Constitution and Core Executive as 5/10/25 markers go?
Would be much helpful as I am trying to get some key revision in just before the exam this afternoon.
Anyone know the term used to define what a meeting between the PM and a minister is called? Bicameral meetings or what?
Original post by soapmct101
Anyone know the term used to define what a meeting between the PM and a minister is called? Bicameral meetings or what?

Do you mean Bilaterals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending