The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Any ideas on a potential constitution 40 marker?
Original post by DeafeningSilence
1998? Oh damn, not quite so contemporary. I guess I could use that as a backup, thank you (:

Not many examples of Judges being removed, but many have been accused by government ministers as having a liberal bias.

e.g. Blunkett v. Popplewell
GUYSSS how does a codified constitution strengthen the executive?
What is everyone's predictions for the constitution 40 marker?

I am thinking it isn't going to be constitutional reform since that came up as a 15 marker in 2014 and a 40 marker in January 2013. As well as Jan 2012 and Jun 2009.

My predictions are strengths/weaknesses on UK constitution in general or on the constitution being codified/uncodified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hfh
What would you put for 'Why are some Pms more powerful than others.', I was thinking maybe talking about the presidential style that people such as Blair adopted saps well as maybe talking about Thatchers role towards cabinet.?..

Their majority in Parliament like Thatcher and Blair at one stage had huge majorities so could pretty much do whatever they want.
Events, anything thats out of their control and puts a PM under pressure forces them to act in a certain way
Their personality,Gordon Brown seemed to be quite demcratic and want others to in influence decisions alongside him.
The view of PM's at the time, like after both Blair and Thatcher people did not want another powerful PM so Major and Brown made sure they were less powerful
Original post by Jake.Thomp
Any ideas on a potential constitution 40 marker?

I am thinking it isn't going to be constitutional reform since that came up as a 15 marker in 2014 and a 40 marker in January 2013. As well as Jan 2012 and Jun 2009.

My predictions are strengths/weaknesses on UK constitution in general or on the constitution being codified/uncodified. Maybe also the location of sovereignty in the UK and how it's changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Hefty11;65592129"]
Original post by mollyadtr

help me pls

How effectively judges hold governments to account with perhaps an emphasis on judicial review

JR = Quash ministerial decisions - generally the Home Office

examples include the respective Home Secretaries Howard/Blunkett/Theresa May

Justice Collins quashed control order for Muslim Convert Cerie Bullivant in 2008.

A major drawback of JR is that it can't be initiated by judges, they can only act if a case is brought before them.

Then talk about how they can interpret acts of Parliament according to the principle of natural justice = create case law.

Belmarsh > Control Orders exemplifies their limitations.

However effectiveness = limited as Parliament is sovereign and ECHR was enacted by Parliament and can be repealed by a future one as it is not a higher law.
Original post by hfh
What would you put for 'Why are some Pms more powerful than others.', I was thinking maybe talking about the presidential style that people such as Blair adopted saps well as maybe talking about Thatchers role towards cabinet.?..

Talk about the factors which determine the power of a PM in the first place, then put them in context of past and the current PM.

-> Personality.
-> Events.
-> Size of the majority.
-> Strength of the opposition. (Including cabinet)
-> Role of the media.
-> Party unity.
etc.
How do you structure at 40 marker? I'm so ****ed :frown:
Original post by hfh

it is practically the same question as presidential
i would talk a lot about context ie external circumstances like economic crisis for brown, if their majority was big or not etc
how the pms create separation from themselves and the gov eg blair and his bilateral decisions...its quite simple once you know theyre all asking similar things
[QUOTE="Hefty11;65592129"]

help me pls

How effectively judges hold governments to account with perhaps an emphasis on judicial review

sorry mate i cant i dont know anything about judges
Original post by abcdeffy
Oh god I'm so screwed. I've been revising all bloody year and I've realised just now I don't know anything. I always panic in exams and just go blank. Any ideas on what to do when that happens? Tips on making it look like I know what I'm talking about? Tips on not blanking and looking like an idiot?

I used to have this same problem but to control it I take deep breaths and try to block out everything from the moment I walk into the exam hall. I try my hardest not to listen to anything the invigilators are saying 😂 (apart from when to write my name and start). Anyway when I'm blocking out everything i am mentally repeating all the key words and points. Normally I can do this for 5 minutes when they are yapping on. Then as soon as I open the paper I go to the questions I am answering and scribble down all the key words related to the answer that I am going to use. This usually prompts me massively when writing and has worked effectively at stopping me having a mental block. It works especially well in this type of exam when we only have 2 questions to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1272
PLEASE SOMEBODY

IS THE UK CONSTITUTION OUTDATED????

Would this just be strengths and weaknesses of codified/uncodified? O would it involve speaking about the sources of the constitution - such as about EU, etc...
Reply 1273
Guys how would you answer a 5 & 10 mark? For 5, do we literally just write 3 things from source? 10, 1-3 from source and own knowledge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1274
And do they expect us to know diff sources? Like ways of E.U law and different common laws? If so, please state some!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1275
Can someone please provide some predictions for the 40 markers!!
Do you guys think the Constitution and Judiciary will come up on the same section again but either as sources question or 40 markers?
Original post by 8600
PLEASE SOMEBODY

IS THE UK CONSTITUTION OUTDATED????

Would this just be strengths and weaknesses of codified/uncodified? O would it involve speaking about the sources of the constitution - such as about EU, etc...

dont be confused by the question!! its just a different wording for the same question 'evaluate the need of reform of our uncodified constitution' you would simply talk about the arguments of how we shouldnt reform it and how we should reform it

eg we should reform it to join many other countries who have a codified constitution - modernity
eg we should not reform as our constitution is flexible and organic
Reply 1278
guys the question 'relationship between uk gov and parliament changes' or something! Ik a few answers, party disunity causes changes, majority, and party whips... What else??

Posted from TSR Mobile
dont be confused by the question!! its just a different wording for the same question 'evaluate the need of reform of our uncodified constitution' you would simply talk about the arguments of how we shouldnt reform it and how we should reform it

eg we should reform it to join many other countries who have a codified constitution - modernity
eg we should not reform as our constitution is flexible and organic

Do you guys think the Constitution and Judiciary will come up on the same section again but either as sources question or 40 markers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending