The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrishannon09
thoughts for 6 marker anybody? would be great to hear some possible questions

I'm thinking something on optics or diffraction gratings. Not sure what they could ask on that but I haven't seen anything on that for a while. I don't think I've ever seen anything on optics tbh, most seem to be mechanics, young's modulus and stationary waves...
True that they could get creative, just hope it's not too horrible haha. Yeah i'm thinking optics too but same as you, no idea what they'd ask honestly. Maybe something about interference patterns from double slit?
Original post by McDerdactyl
I'm thinking something on optics or diffraction gratings. Not sure what they could ask on that but I haven't seen anything on that for a while. I don't think I've ever seen anything on optics tbh, most seem to be mechanics, young's modulus and stationary waves...

Other possible questions are conservation of energy (came up once), description of velocity of an object (came up once), how to find the wavelength of light (came up twice).

But the ones you mentioned are definitely most common
Original post by Music With Rocks
Other possible questions are conservation of energy (came up once), description of velocity of an object (came up once), how to find the wavelength of light (came up twice).

I like the velocity ones where you have a graph and sometimes even if you don't because you can just use the equations they're okay tbh and what do you mean by finding the wavelength of light? How can that be extended to 6 marks?

What on earth did they ask about energy conservation for 6 marks!?
Original post by McDerdactyl
I like the velocity ones where you have a graph and sometimes even if you don't because you can just use the equations they're okay tbh and what do you mean by finding the wavelength of light? How can that be extended to 6 marks?

"5 (c) (ii) Describe the necessary procedure in order to obtain an accurate and reliable value forthe wavelength of the laser light. Your answer should include details of all the measurements and necessary calculations. The quality of your written communication will be assessed in your answer."

So you have to describe the double slit experiment and all the measurements you would take
Can someone explain ultimate tensile stress? Is it the elastic limit or the yield point? Or something else completely?
Original post by philo-jitsu
What on earth did they ask about energy conservation for 6 marks!?

Previously it was on a girl on a trampoline, so elastic potential to kinetic to gravitational potential. Overcoming resistive forces to reach a higher height and things like that.
Can someone explain ultimate tensile stress? Is it the elastic limit or the yield point? Or something else completely?

Same as breaking stress I think? It is the peak of the curve, so the highest point that will be reached anywhere on the graph
Reply 209
6 marker for describing the motion of an object falling into a container of water
- Velocity increases- Velocity becomes constant (terminal velocity)
- Acceleration is maximum (9.81) in the beginning
- Acceleration decreases to zero
- Weight greater than drag in the beginning (before terminal velocity)
- There's a resultant force downwards (before terminal velocity)
- Forces become equal, drag = weight
- Drag force increase with speed
- Resultant force = W - drag
- Acceleration = gradient of v against t
(edited 7 years ago)
Same as breaking stress I think? It is the peak of the curve, so the highest point that will be reached anywhere on the graph

Breaking stress is after uts theyre different....bs is the point where it snaps....uts is past the limit of proportionality but before the graph cruves downwards.....i think its the yield point
Previously it was on a girl on a trampoline, so elastic potential to kinetic to gravitational potential. Overcoming resistive forces to reach a higher height and things like that.

Oh yeah...just done that ....was tricky bht more than doable
Breaking stress is after uts theyre different....bs is the point where it snaps....uts is past the limit of proportionality but before the graph cruves downwards.....i think its the yield point

Oh yes sorry it is not breaking stress, yield point is where the graph first dips, UTS is the maximum point reached.
Hi guys, I'm retaking Unit 2, and been analysing past papers. I reckon the 6 marker will be on either energy transformations, diffraction, TIR/light stuff, or possibly something fairly unusual going by Unit 1's 6 marker. I highly doubt it will be stationary waves or Young modulus etc, because that's come up a lot recently. Might well be an experiment we have to describe, possibly springs? This is only my best guess though.

Best of luck everyone!
Good luck everyone!

Remember try to remember things and we will put together a mark scheme....particularly the mths questions as we can be pretty accurate wirh them
Yeah good luck to you all! Hope you do well
Looked like an easy paper, fairly balanced between waves & mechanics, 6 marker was motion of falling object, projectiles, moments, lots of straightforward waves questions.
Original post by MiniMan64
Looked like an easy paper, fairly balanced between waves & mechanics, 6 marker was motion of falling object, projectiles, moments, lots of straightforward waves questions.

Isn't the exam still going on?
Original post by particlestudent
Isn't the exam still going on?

Yeah I've just finished and that guy's post isn't even correct
Original post by Stallzy
Yeah I've just finished and that guy's post isn't even correct
ffffffffuuuuuuuccckkkkkkkk!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest