The Student Room Group

Variation of Kinetic Energy of charge particle in electric field

This is a question from Unit 5 Ocr
Basicly they ask me to sketch a graph show a variation of KE as it travel through electric field and BEYOND.
The problem here is that i dont understand why after the particle go out of electric field. Its KE becomes constant
Can anyone help me ? Thank you
You can find it in paper unit 5 ocr june 2011 q3. I cannot upload the image.
Original post by Cong
This is a question from Unit 5 Ocr
Basicly they ask me to sketch a graph show a variation of KE as it travel through electric field and BEYOND.
The problem here is that i dont understand why after the particle go out of electric field. Its KE becomes constant
Can anyone help me ? Thank you
You can find it in paper unit 5 ocr june 2011 q3. I cannot upload the image.

You can think of the particle as being unaffected by external forces once it has left the electric field, and so it will classically travel with a constant velocity in a straight line according to first law of motion. I've not looked at the mark scheme to see what it has got to say about that.
Reply 2
Original post by Absent Agent
You can think of the particle as being unaffected by external forces once it has left the electric field, and so it will classically travel with a constant velocity in a straight line according to first law of motion. I've not looked at the mark scheme to see what it has got to say about that.

This get me really annoyed. The mark scheme only said "after 0.8 it is a horizontal line" 0.8 is the length of a plate. So what they mean that there in no force acting on it, so KE is constant
Another thing here is the question show that electron travel as a curve line.
Is that 2 plates is set horizontal ( like on a plane) rather than hanging ?
Original post by Cong
This get me really annoyed. The mark scheme only said "after 0.8 it is a horizontal line" 0.8 is the length of a plate. So what they mean that there in no force acting on it, so KE is constant
Another thing here is the question show that electron travel as a curve line.
Is that 2 plates is set horizontal ( like on a plane) rather than hanging ?

Yes, the path of the electron is curved as it passes through the electric field because the charged particle (electron) is accelerated towards the positive plate as it's attracted to it, but it path is a straight line when it leaves the electric field.

Untitled.png

Quick Reply

Latest