The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
No, they could close the border and cut off work for thousands of people.. That is why 99% of people in Gibraltar are voting to stay in the EU.

The point I was justifiably ridiculing was that Gibraltar would become another Falklands and be invaded. Yet another scare story that the gullible voter might believe which needs to laughed out of the debate.

No-one serious thinks it will happen (you don't yourself) so why do Remain raise it? It just makes the conversation sink lower into the sewer of lies.

The other point I was making was that the idea that Spain will impose visa restrictions is another draw down from this scare story sewer.

Plane after plane after plane loads of Britons travel to the Costas (and Ibiza) every year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28418913

And they spend rather a lot of Euros there

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic%20impact%20research/countries%202015/spain2015.pdf

Spain is in deep economic doo doo thanks to its participation in the failed European Union single currency. Tourism is a rare bright spot that has a staggeringly large contribution to total GDP as you can see above.

And the argument your side tries to peddle is that they will introduce visa restrictions to try to put people off coming and keeping what remains of their economy afloat??

Like I said, laughable. Risible.

As for Gibraltar they may close the border. It has been done before and was inconvenient for a while, (so of course they are going to oppose Brexit) but so what?

Southern Spain has a huge reliance on Gibraltar for its local economy. That is why the border has always eventually been reopened again when they realise that we are serious about not tearing up the Treaty of Utrecht.

Nothing to see here, move on. Why don't you guys come up with a positive reason to stay? I've yet to hear one, but live in hope...
Original post by generallee
Yet another scare story that the gullible voter might believe which needs to laughed out of the debate.

Again, Turkey.

Oh, and the NHS. cf. Sarah Wollaston
Original post by generallee
The point I was justifiably ridiculing was that Gibraltar would become another Falklands and be invaded. Yet another scare story that the gullible voter might believe which needs to laughed out of the debate.

No-one serious thinks it will happen (you don't yourself) so why do Remain raise it? It just makes the conversation sink lower into the sewer of lies.

The other point I was making was that the idea that Spain will impose visa restrictions is another draw down from this scare story sewer.

Plane after plane after plane loads of Britons travel to the Costas (and Ibiza) every year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28418913

And they spend rather a lot of Euros there

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic%20impact%20research/countries%202015/spain2015.pdf

Spain is in deep economic doo doo thanks to its participation in the failed European Union single currency. Tourism is a rare bright spot that has a staggeringly large contribution to total GDP as you can see above.

And the argument your side tries to peddle is that they will introduce visa restrictions to try to put people off coming and keeping what remains of their economy afloat??

Like I said, laughable. Risible.

As for Gibraltar they may close the border. It has been done before and was inconvenient for a while, (so of course they are going to oppose Brexit) but so what?

Southern Spain has a huge reliance on Gibraltar for its local economy. That is why the border has always eventually been reopened again when they realise that we are serious about not tearing up the Treaty of Utrecht.

Nothing to see here, move on. Why don't you guys come up with a positive reason to stay? I've yet to hear one, but live in hope...

So are you claiming with certainty that EU countries will not impose a visa restriction?
Original post by tanyapotter
So are you claiming with certainty that EU countries will not impose a visa restriction?

We can all play that game, sigh.

Are you certain that the single currency isn't going to implode, with Italy the next domino to fall?

No I am not certain but am as convinced as it is possible to be, short of certainty.
Original post by Trill
Assuming you are a student on the student room, it's worrying that you would cite Wikipedia.

Momentarily, we do not need a visa for the countries in the EU. Once we leave the EU, we have renegotiate these terms so that we still maintain the no visa policy. Which can take up 15 years according to the Labour Party.

Good grief. :biggrin:

Wikipedia is a pretty good source, on factual questions like this. Which countries, do and don't need visas.

If it is not absolutely, completely 100% accurate demonstrate where? And then tell me why the fact that (say) Angola now does or does not need now a visa and Wiki hasn't been updated, make a blind bit of difference in supporting the point it was evidence towards?

You second point is misleading. If we decide to leave the EU on 23 June we will have two years under Article 50 in which everything remains exactly the same.

That gives us till 23 June 2018 to draw up the paperwork for visa free schemes for Australia, the US, ya de ya. Since they will all want them (surely you accept that?) it is just a matter of paperwork. What the FCO are paid to do.

It'll give our Foreign Office something to keep them occupied. No wonder they so oppose Brexit! :biggrin:
ran out of boring, recycled brexit points to argue?

no, we're not even on the topic anymore :| to start talking about brexit therefore would be to change the subject
and you avoiding the question just looks weird. what have you got to hide?
Original post by Hendrix Lives
Nicola Sturgeon will wipe the floor with Boring Boris tonight.

is that because his head looks likes a mop?
because it's not because her arguments are good
Original post by sleepysnooze
no, we're not even on the topic anymore :| to start talking about brexit therefore would be to change the subject
and you avoiding the question just looks weird. what have you got to hide?

none of what you just said makes any sense and it's boring me now. you're entitled to vote to leave, but britain will remain, because the majority of british people will want to keep their jobs and they know that the UK economy will only grow if we remain. that's just that, i'm afraid.
none of what you just said makes any sense and it's boring me now.

I've just realised - I wasn't even previously talking to you...so what are you talking about?

you're entitled to vote to leave, but britain will remain, because the majority of british people will want to keep their jobs and they know that the UK economy will only grow if we remain. that's just that, i'm afraid.

you're implying that the majority of jobs are going to be lost via brexit? :| talk about ****ing scare-mongering...jesus christ.
is that because his head looks likes a mop?
because it's not because her arguments are good

We will see tonight,Boring Boris wont catch a wink of sleep after Nicola has finished with him,he hasn't got it up top,never has and never willmshe will tear him a new arse.
I agree. Unfortunately.
I've just realised - I wasn't even previously talking to you...so what are you talking about?
you're implying that the majority of jobs are going to be lost via brexit? :| talk about ****ing scare-mongering...jesus christ.

If we do leave then youll be the first to cry about higher food,dearer petrol,higher costs for flying abroad,dearer mortgage,higher electricity and gas prices,think it wont happen,think again.
Original post by BasicMistake
It's for that very reason that the losing side (Leave in this case) will want to constantly repeat the referendum. There may be one time where turnout is low or public opinion has shifted for the briefest of moments and an outcome that is not supported by the majority of the population will be forced. As far as I know, referendums don't have a minimum turnout. Throw enough proverbial sh*t at the wall and eventually some will stick.

If we do vote 'leave' though, I suspect that the government will try to stop us actually leaving.

I read somewhere online earlier today that some politicans in parliament said that they would try and introduce a motion to stop it.
Reply 273
Original post by Frostyjoe
If we do vote 'leave' though, I suspect that the government will try to stop us actually leaving.

I read somewhere online earlier today that some politicans in parliament said that they would try and introduce a motion to stop it.

I highly doubt they'd get away with that without rioting happening.
Original post by Frostyjoe

Only a small number of MPs floated the idea and even fewer will go through with it seeing as it is political suicide. It seems almost unfair; rebelling against a remain vote is more acceptable than rebelling against a leave vote. That is one of the many problems I have with referendums.
Reply 275
Original post by Hendrix Lives
If we do leave then youll be the first to cry about higher food,dearer petrol,higher costs for flying abroad,dearer mortgage,higher electricity and gas prices,think it wont happen,think again.

You realise that as a member of the EU, non-EU goods are more expensive than they would be if we weren't a member? The EU places import tariffs on non-EU goods.
Original post by EuanF
You realise that as a member of the EU, non-EU goods are more expensive than they would be if we weren't a member? The EU places import tariffs on non-EU goods.

Go ahead and vote leave then,more fool you,you are letting yourself be conned by Boring Boris,you'll soon realise what a blunder you've made.
Original post by EuanF

So what will stop the EU from placing tariffs on UK goods if we leave? Even if we do sign a free-trade agreement, that is still several years of limited trade with a bloc that we export 44% of our goods to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by BasicMistake
So what will stop the EU from placing tariffs on UK goods if we leave? Even if we do sign a free-trade agreement, that is still several years of limited trade with a bloc that we export 44% of our goods to.

Tariffs hurt the EU, not those external to the EU (which is why we want out)
Where do you get the information that enables you to conclude that Britain's economic and job security has anything, at all, to do with our EU membership? If this is the case why are around 20% of young people of France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, France and all the other Eastern and Southern member states unemployed? Considering how well-off we are in Germany and Britain, why aren't the other, mentioned countries not equally as well off, considering that our trade deficit with the EU is WELL in excess of £1billion PER WEEK (one thousand million pounds per week)? For pity's sake grow up, fact check what you are told and learn something about the EU before its too late. Does it mean nothing to you that the EU is recognised as being anti-democratic, does it mean nothing to you that the citizen don't elect the commissioners and council, can't replace them and can't remove them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending