The Student Room Group

Maths AQA Spec B Calc thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lala*15
Your fine..that was the last question...

💝Life's too short💝

They're talking about a house question involving someone called Alex I don't recall!!
Reply 41
Original post by par71
I can't remember the exact solutions but I got something like -0.78 and -2.78. Whatever the exact answers were, I'm pretty sure that I got them both right.

But since it's a quadratic I would expect them to be symmetrical but I must have got it wrong
Reply 42
What was the answers to the simultaneous equation
Original post by starstudent7
I got 2m so I put yes!:frown: I think I have simplified it to much.:angry:

Oh how did you get to your answer? I know loads of people who got the same so you're probably right.
I said that the length of the triangle was x, and then worked out the height of it using pythagoras etc. Then did base * height * 0.5 * 4 = 8, rearranged everything to find x, and then substituted this value of x into the expression for the height of the triangle.
Typing this out is making me feel like that was the wrong method lmao :lol:
Original post by surina16
can't remember exactly but I multiplied everything by 2.5. The first one was a decimal and the other 3 were whole numbers?

What did you get for the bearings question, I got 120km.:smile: Also for the question with a white rectangle inside a large rectangle?:smile:
Original post by Gillraj

I knew it was 52 & 80 because opposite angles add up to 180 but I found it difficult to solve the simultaneous equation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gillraj

20 and 12?
20 and 12?

I got 20 for one of them at one point but couldn't find the other one so I moved on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by par71
I can't remember the exact solutions but I got something like -0.78 and -2.78. Whatever the exact answers were, I'm pretty sure that I got them both right.

I think that was right because I then substituted those values (non-rounded versions) into the original equation and got 3 :smile:
I think that was right because I then substituted those values (non-rounded versions) into the original equation and got 3 :smile:

I didn't have enough time to do the entire thing because there was like less than 5 minutes left

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh how did you get to your answer? I know loads of people who got the same so you're probably right.
I said that the length of the triangle was x, and then worked out the height of it using pythagoras etc. Then did base * height * 0.5 * 4 = 8, rearranged everything to find x, and then substituted this value of x into the expression for the height of the triangle.
Typing this out is making me feel like that was the wrong method lmao :lol:

No, I think your answer is right as my working out seemed to simple for 5 marks.:smile: You're really clever anyway so I trust your answer!:smile:
20 and 12?

Yes that's what I got.:smile:
Reply 52
can't remember exactly but I multiplied everything by 2.5. The first one was a decimal and the other 3 were whole numbers?

One of the answers was 5(the egg one) and I think the decimal one was 167.5(flour) and I can't remember the rest.
Reply 53
I got 1.86...m for the height of the tent so I put "no" :smile:

That is what i got. However - me being me - i put yes, eventhough it was oviously NO
What did you get for the bearings question, I got 120km.:smile: Also for the question with a white rectangle inside a large rectangle?:smile:

I think I got 90km (if that was the one with the 2 boats). And for the rectangle I got 180 :smile:
Reply 55
To clear it up these were the answers for the harder questions

The CosA was 132 degrees. (using reverse of cosine rule by re-arranging it)
Algebraic fractions was -0.78 and -2.78
The guy was too tall for the tent (can't remember what I exactly did, think using pythagoras)
Similar shapes one I forgot kappa, I know I got it wrong but scale factor to power of 3 is what you shoulda used according to surina
Histogram was nice and simple.
The area of the 40x^2 was easy, just divide it by 8 to get the 5x^2 area.
The 49c^2-d^2 was using the method of (7c+d)(7c-d) where -7cd and +7cd cancel each other out nicely.
For the bread types, you know there were ratios of 10 across the breads, 6:1:3, so 130/10 = 13, and then just do 6x13 e.t.c
Simultaneous equations = 20 and 12
Boats was 90km

Hope this clears it up with some of you guys :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I also rounded it like you guys and so did the two people from my school who i asked, pretty sure it must be right then. It's not like rounding .5 down is really 'wrong', it's just non standard.

What did you get for the probability tree diagram question?? And the cosine one?
Original post by Miz9
One of the answers was 5(the egg one) and I think the decimal one was 167.5(flour) and I can't remember the rest.

One of them was I think 100g or something and yes I got 5 egg yolk

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I think your answer is right as my working out seemed to simple for 5 marks.:smile: You're really clever anyway so I trust your answer!:smile:

Idk right now - it seems to be a 50/50 split between the 2 answers! :biggrin:
And thank you haha but not really (you seem to be way better at maths lmao) :colondollar:
For the bread one I got 78 , 13 & 39

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending