The Student Room Group

Recharging and non recharging state?

If the normal cell potential is 1.45 Volts, for the recharging reaction, is it still 1.45 or is it -1.45 v?
Original post by popo111
If the normal cell potential is 1.45 Volts, for the recharging reaction, is it still 1.45 or is it -1.45 v?

For the recharging reaction to occur you must apply a potential larger than the discharging potential. You are forcing the non-spontaneous reaction to proceed.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
For the recharging reaction to occur you must apply a potential larger than the discharging potential. You are forcing the non-spontaneous reaction to proceed.

Oh I see, so it would be larger than 1.45 V (if the cell potential was 1.45) ?
Reply 3
Original post by charco

Another quick question, if you have a complex ion with 2 same bidendate ligand, and one different bidendate ligand (eg : 2 en ligands and 1 C204 2- ligand), can this form a cis isomer as the 2 carbons in the C204 2- ion are same side/ together, thus cis isomer?
Original post by popo111
Another quick question, if you have a complex ion with 2 same bidendate ligand, and one different bidendate ligand (eg : 2 en ligands and 1 C204 2- ligand), can this form a cis isomer as the 2 carbons in the C204 2- ion are same side/ together, thus cis isomer?

No, octahedral complexes such as this [Co(en)3]2+ are three dimensional structures. If you replace one of the 'en' groups by something else there is only one isomer.
Original post by popo111
Oh I see, so it would be larger than 1.45 V (if the cell potential was 1.45) ?

Take a car battery. There are 6 cells each of which provided 2.2V. To recharge the battery you need to apply an opposite potential of over 13.2 V.
Reply 6
Original post by charco
No, octahedral complexes such as this [Co(en)3]2+ are three dimensional structures. If you replace one of the 'en' groups by something else there is only one isomer.

Oh okay then, I see. I guess this answers one other question I had, is the term octahedral used for 6 coordinate bonds or 6 ligands? I now assume it's coordinate bonds?

Thanks alot .
Original post by popo111
Oh okay then, I see. I guess this answers one other question I had, is the term octahedral used for 6 coordinate bonds or 6 ligands? I now assume it's coordinate bonds?

Thanks alot .

Yes, six coordination state ..
EDTA is hexadentate and the complex is octahedral.

Quick Reply

Latest