The Student Room Group

2016 Unofficial M1 Mark Scheme? 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KloppOClock
when using an approximation such as G your answer has to be either to two or three s.f or in terms of g or you will lose an A1 mark

Yeah that's what i was afraid of :/
Original post by TheDove

not sure if this is true, but ive heard you can only get penalised for it once in the entire paper, so if youve not rounded in another question whilst using g you would not lose any futher marks. however dont take this as certain truth, check with a teacher
not sure if this is true, but ive heard you can only get penalised for it once in the entire paper, so if youve not rounded in another question whilst using g you would not lose any futher marks. however dont take this as certain truth, check with a teacher

Hey klopp, do you think you could give any advice on my post further up the page? I just want an idea of how many marks I have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pineneedles
I worked out that I made mistakes on questions 3 and 6:
On question 3 I did everything right, got 3.5 ms^-1 but forgot to take into account the fact that it was in the negative direction:
I = 0.4(3.5 - 4)
I = 0.2Ns x
I'm thinking I'll have lost two marks for this? What you think?
On question 6 for some crazy reason I did everything right then decided that d = 5/6 rather than 6/5 and that m = 48 kg
How many marks do people think I'll get for these questions? I'm trying to get 90 UMS overall

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here is how I would break down the marks

1 mark for I=M(V-U) M1
1 mark for F=MA M1
1 mark for V2=U2 + 2AS M1

1 mark for correct velocity A1
1 mark for correct acceleration A1
1 mark for correct answer A1

not sure where the 7th mark would go, and some of the method marks may be dM1 where as some of the A1 marks may be ft.

you could have gotten anywhere between 4 and 6 marks i reckon

also for question d, if in your working outs you have stated somewhere that d=1.2 then you should get full marks as i think they would then ignore subsequent working
Hey how what is your range for the grade boundary you think @KloppOClock for m1
Also, if i did c1 c2 m1 do i have to get a total of 240 Ums to get an A in AS maths?
would it matter if one o fmy modules was a B as long as i got 240 ums?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Also, if i did c1 c2 m1 do i have to get a total of 240 Ums to get an A in AS maths?

i believe 240 ums is an A, yes.

i am not an expert at predicting grade boundaries, all I can say is that my teacher said the paper was hard due to simultaneous vector questions and question three, so grade boundaries will be relatively low.

if you wanna hazard a guess, check out the grade boundaries of past papers you did and try if you thought the paper was harder or easier, add some marks to those boundaries.

compared to the other modules, m1 boundaries tend to be low anyway

i am not an expert at predicting grade boundaries, all I can say is that my teacher said the paper was hard due to simultaneous vector questions and question three, so grade boundaries will be relatively low.

if you wanna hazard a guess, check out the grade boundaries of past papers you did and try if you thought the paper was harder or easier, add some marks to those boundaries.

\
i do agree with your teacher last year's was pretty low already at 59 so im just imaging if it would be lower then that or not
\
i do agree with your teacher last year's was pretty low already at 59 so im just imaging if it would be lower then that or not

I'd say 60-61 for a A given that this is TSR so it doesn't represent the wide
range of performance of the country :lol:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I'd say 60-61 for a A given that this is TSR so it doesn't represent the wide
range of performance of the country :lol:

\

1 mark for I=M(V-U) M1
1 mark for F=MA M1

not sure where the 7th mark would go, and some of the method marks may be dM1 where as some of the A1 marks may be ft.

you could have gotten anywhere between 4 and 6 marks i reckon

also for question d, if in your working outs you have stated somewhere that d=1.2 then you should get full marks as i think they would then ignore subsequent working

Original post by pineneedles
Hey klopp, do you think you could give any advice on my post further up the page? I just want an idea of how many marks I have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TheDove

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4153535&p=65604913#post65604913
Original post by particlestudent
The coefficient question was μ=0.73

Original post by suhaylpatel786
These are my answers:

1(a) 104, (90+14)

1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j
q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

1(c) The 'j' vectors for both are equal, as it is due west.
800-5t = 20t
t = 32
therefore q = 640i + 640j

2(a) T = 20.6N
2(b) 15.45 N => 15.5 N (3sf)

3(a) Acceleration = -g/8
velocity after rebound = 3.5
thus Impulse = 3 Ns

4(a)
4(b) Area under graph = 975
Area for slower car for first 25 seconds = 750
975-750 = 225
1/2 * b * 30 =225
b = 15
total time = 15+25 = 40
so area under faster car = 975 = 1/2 * (40)(T+40)
T = 8.75 s

5) μ = 0.73

6) For 1st situation, R(T) = 0
For 2nd situation, R(S) = 0

M(S) => 0.5M = 30d-15
M(T) => M = 60 - 15d
Therefore,
d = 1.2m
M = 42kg

7(a) F2 = 2.5i + 2.5j (this required simultaneous equations)
(b) V = 12i +5j, thus speed = 13 ms-1

8(a) Fmax = 0.3g
acceleration = 0.6g
Tension = 11.76N = 11.8 N (3sf)

8(b) RF = √(11.76)^2 + (11.76)^2 = 16.6
It has a bearing of 225

Original post by JamesHarper1
Estimates for grade boundries/UMS?

Original post by mk_98
I said force acts at 45 degrees below horizontal. Would that be enough?

Original post by jacobfrosst
how many marks was the moments question worth?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4153535&p=65604913#post65604913

model answers
I used the correct method for Q3 but worked out the acceleration incorrectly initially. How many marks out of 7 do you think I'd get?
Original post by JoshC98
I used the correct method for Q3 but worked out the acceleration incorrectly initially. How many marks out of 7 do you think I'd get?

(Original post by KloppOClock)

1 mark for I=M(V-U) M1
1 mark for F=MA M1

this is just an opinion, examiners can change mark distribution depending on how people did so you can't really predict it
i did the the other way as well, originally I did put that as my answer however i got a crap ton of people spamming my inbox telling me it was wrong, so I'm just assuming that we're wrong. If you could provide a photo of the question then that would definitely clear up any mistakes, or even better if you asked the teacher what the correct answer was.

i emailed teacher she wont send it sadly lool but she sed answer was 5.15 on scale pan
Original post by youreanutter
i emailed teacher she wont send it sadly lool but she sed answer was 5.15 on scale pan

really??? i did it twice and got two answer, one was 5.15, and the other was 19, something.

i mean literally everyone else has said that the answer is 15N tho, dont give me false hope :absinth:
Original post by youreanutter

really??? i did it twice and got two answer, one was 5.15, and the other was 19, something.

i mean literally everyone else has said that the answer is 15N tho, dont give me false hope :absinth:

The answer is definitely 15.5N. I have done worked solutions here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4153535&p=65604913#post65604913

(your teacher should be fired tbh)
(edited 7 years ago)
As long as you said south west, you'd get the mark
Original post by SirRaza97
Well 45 degress to the vertical/horizontal axis. That is a direction. I just drew an arrow in the diagram and put 45 degrees.
Original post by fastandfurious
So, because I wrote 15.45N as the answer for question 2, and didn't round to 2.s.f or 3.s.f, I'm going to lose a mark?

Original post by TheDove
Yeah I did the same, TBH I think it seems silly to mark it as wrong when it is actually more accurate.

Yes you will lose 1 accuracy mark. However rounding mistakes when using g can only be penalised once per question. So if you didn't round your answer to 2sf or 3sf in part A as well then you'll only lose one mark for that whole question.
if you have written 8.75 before then you will get full marks and the should ignore subsequent working

Thank you for your reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending