The Student Room Group

My Mum does not think I will get into university and Im really disheartened/given up

Scroll to see replies

You could study somewhere decent still like Warwick Sheffield Nottingham Birmingham maybe even Bristol and Durham, why are you limiting yourself to those options? In addition to your dad being a mc solicitor, you shouldn't exactly find it hard to get interviews as he can help you out
Reply 41
Original post by neal95
You could study somewhere decent still like Warwick Sheffield Nottingham Birmingham maybe even Bristol and Durham, why are you limiting yourself to those options? In addition to your dad being a mc solicitor, you shouldn't exactly find it hard to get interviews as he can help you out

I have always wanted to study at the LSE but with only 1A* at gcse and 2As it seems highly unlikely. Also despite my fathers position I want to achieve things independently just like any other person who manages to secure a trainining contract at a MC law firm without the help of someone in the field. I just know if I don't get into LSE i will be torn up and lose all motivation(possibly end up in hospital again)
Original post by highfly
I have always wanted to study at the LSE but with only 1A* at gcse and 2As it seems highly unlikely. Also despite my fathers position I want to achieve things independently just like any other person who manages to secure a trainining contract at a MC law firm without the help of someone in the field. I just know if I don't get into LSE i will be torn up and lose all motivation(possibly end up in hospital again)

If the latter is true, it seems the profession may not be for you. Your gonna have to deal with setbacks, late nights and plenty of adversity, especially when applying. You need to realise that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and that includes obtaining a degree. No point dwelling about it because you didn't make it to LSE. So what, build a bridge move on and achieve your objective in another way. Just don't give up as once you have lost the motivation that is it you are finished its already competitive enough out there
What other people think you're capable of is irrelevant. You're not incapable of anything. Just work hard to do what you want to do.

You can only ever not do something if you don't try. As long as you stay motivated and keep working hard, you can do whatever you want. (within realistic expectations obviously. I mean, you might be able to attain godhood if you try really hard, but it may take a while)

My mum and half my teachers thought I was going to fail everything in school. They had a good reason to think that(I was very ill), but I still proved them wrong in the end, so don't rely too much on your mum's presumptions.
Reply 44
Original post by neal95
If the latter is true, it seems the profession may not be for you. Your gonna have to deal with setbacks, late nights and plenty of adversity, especially when applying. You need to realise that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and that includes obtaining a degree. No point dwelling about it because you didn't make it to LSE. So what, build a bridge move on and achieve your objective in another way. Just don't give up as once you have lost the motivation that is it you are finished its already competitive enough out there

I am able to deal with the workload , late nights, I pour my heart and soul into my education bar GCSE(I had extenuating circumstances), I constantly study and I enjoy it, I stay up all night,you don't know how hard I work.LSE is the only uni I am taking a chance with and I want it very bad.and FYI i deal with my emotions differently to others I am in the right mindset for a law career, when I feel low the pain I feel is gone in a matter of minutes when I deal with it in my own way(which is not sulking for hours) I don't want to give more away because I know theres a lot of stigma around it but at the end of the day you don't know unless you try so I will apply to LSE and despite my GCSE which I my teacher will submit an extenuating circumstance letter for , hope for the best
Reply 45
Original post by Jazzyboy
What other people think you're capable of is irrelevant. You're not incapable of anything. Just work hard to do what you want to do.

You can only ever not do something if you don't try. As long as you stay motivated and keep working hard, you can do whatever you want. (within realistic expectations obviously. I mean, you might be able to attain godhood if you try really hard, but it may take a while)

My mum and half my teachers thought I was going to fail everything in school. They had a good reason to think that(I was very ill), but I still proved them wrong in the end, so don't rely too much on your mum's presumptions.

Thanks the aim is LSE but If i have to I will settle on Kings
Original post by highfly
I am able to deal with the workload , late nights, I pour my heart and soul into my education bar GCSE(I had extenuating circumstances), I constantly study and I enjoy it, I stay up all night,you don't know how hard I work.LSE is the only uni I am taking a chance with and I want it very bad.and FYI i deal with my emotions differently to others I am in the right mindset for a law career, when I feel low the pain I feel is gone in a matter of minutes when I deal with it in my own way(which is not sulking for hours) I don't want to give more away because I know theres a lot of stigma around it but at the end of the day you don't know unless you try so I will apply to LSE and despite my GCSE which I my teacher will submit an extenuating circumstance letter for , hope for the best

that's great to hear and by all means apply to lse but don't put your eggs in one basket is all I am saying, its not the end of the world if you don't make it their and you can still craft a good career attending another uni but good luck with lse anyway
Original post by highfly

It's just my opinion but I find it kind of silly to only apply to LSE? Like I completely understand having big ambitions and being hopeful about getting there, but what are you left with if you don't? Have back ups!
Reply 48
Original post by caitlynm
It's just my opinion but I find it kind of silly to only apply to LSE? Like I completely understand having big ambitions and being hopeful about getting there, but what are you left with if you don't? Have back ups!

Of course I'm applying to other unis , what I'm trying to say is that I really really really like really want to study at the LSE however I will be satisfied with kings if LSE reject me then it would be Bristol,Warwick and Exeter, but at the moment all I want is LSE although i do have backups
I am the second youngest of six, and I am expected to live up to everything they've achieved. One of them got 7 A*, 2 B and a C. It's disheartening to say the least when my parents say I'm not doing well enough, or they remind me of everything my family has achieved. I hate it so much, and I understand exactly what you mean highfly.

Quick Reply

Latest