The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Greek

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caecilius'Garden
Thanks. I answered all the questions, and thought my essays were well developed. I was only concerned because there were fewer questions that I just knew, I had to make a few guesses... hopefully I will get a few marks for them anyway.

Yep... language :frown: Memrise is great for vocab I find, but my grammar is really terrible (unlike Latin, where I can tell you every ending ever :biggrin:). I guess I'll work on both, but I really want to work on my endings... That seems to be the difference between A and A* for me. How are you finding language?

Also, you need to make four points for the 8 marker, ideally 5 for a safety net, but I've got full marks with less before... It's all about how well developed they are, I think.

Let's hope so on the 8 marker! I made 3-4 separate points, but supported them with about 8-9 pieces of evidence (translation quotations).

For language, there are some great quizlets for tenses and vocab - I can send you a link if you'd like?
With that much evidence, unless your points were ridiculous - I'm thinking along the lines of... actually I can't think of a point that wouldn't get a mark... Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it's one of those questions where you can pretty much put anything if you have evidence...

A link to that would be great! I have memrise courses for B401 and B402, but there is also a Greek to GCSE course somewhere with grammar.
Reply 42
With that much evidence, unless your points were ridiculous - I'm thinking along the lines of... actually I can't think of a point that wouldn't get a mark... Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it's one of those questions where you can pretty much put anything if you have evidence...

A link to that would be great! I have memrise courses for B401 and B402, but there is also a Greek to GCSE course somewhere with grammar.

By the way guys... just looked at last years grade boundaries and they are so much higher than in Latin 😱😱 kinda unfair, I mean they could have been nice seeing as there are so few of us taking it!! 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fuzz13
By the way guys... just looked at last years grade boundaries and they are so much higher than in Latin 😱😱 kinda unfair, I mean they could have been nice seeing as there are so few of us taking it!! 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

2015:

Greek
Prose for an A*: 44
Verse for an A*: 41
Language 1 for an A*: 52
Language 2 for an A*: 51

Latin
Language 1 for A*: 48
Language 2 for A*: 51
Prose for A*: 42
Verse for A*: 41

I'd say the set text fluctuation isn't too bad - the biggest discrepancy is with the Language 1 (and Prose)
Don't forget that Language is /60, but set text is /50... Any idea on sources for Latin, metellaest? (Like the CLC reference by the way :tongue:)
Don't forget that Language is /60, but set text is /50... Any idea on sources for Latin, metellaest? (Like the CLC reference by the way :tongue:)

Haha thanks :tongue:

As in the boundaries or how to do it? I can get the boundaries but I've never sat a paper.

Greek

Sources for an A*: 42

Latin

Sources for an A*: 39

Those are the 2015 boundaries :smile:
Ooh... that's a nice boundary for Latin... hope it's similar this year. I'm asking because I did it today - thought I did well, but there were some odd questions... You know when you occasionally wonder if a paper was written by someone while high? No? Well that's what it felt like :s-smilie: STICK TO THE DARN SYLLABUS OCR :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by fuzz13
Is anyone else doing the Sources paper on the 21st? :redface:

I am :redface:

Are you also doing short course? From what I understand it's less about learning the sources and more about learning about Greece (e.g. from the In Search of the Greeks textbook), but focusing on what the sources are about...
Ooh... that's a nice boundary for Latin... hope it's similar this year. I'm asking because I did it today - thought I did well, but there were some odd questions... You know when you occasionally wonder if a paper was written by someone while high? No? Well that's what it felt like :s-smilie: STICK TO THE DARN SYLLABUS OCR :biggrin:

You had to do Greek and Latin today? That's tough. (English as well?)

And yes - I do know what that feels like (Additional Maths = :bawling::banghead::bawling:)

I'm sure you did well :smile:
Original post by metellaest
You had to do Greek and Latin today? That's tough. (English as well?)

And yes - I do know what that feels like (Additional Maths = :bawling::banghead::bawling:)

I'm sure you did well :smile:

Yep, English, Greek and Latin. And they didn't let us leave the room between Latin and Greek... Stupid exam people always schedule Greek clashing with other exams every year because they don't care :frown:

I heard about this Additional Maths (FSMQ?)... I'm sure you'll be fine, they'll play with the boundaries I suppose.

Oh well, German tomorrow, Maths on Thursday and then Biology, Greek and Music Friday lol :s-smilie:. So this week I have 9 exams, then 3 next week, and two the week after... Well done schedule people :redface:
Yep, English, Greek and Latin. And they didn't let us leave the room between Latin and Greek... Stupid exam people always schedule Greek clashing with other exams every year because they don't care :frown:

I heard about this Additional Maths (FSMQ?)... I'm sure you'll be fine, they'll play with the boundaries I suppose.

Oh well, German tomorrow, Maths on Thursday and then Biology, Greek and Music Friday lol :s-smilie:. So this week I have 9 exams, then 3 next week, and two the week after... Well done schedule people :redface:

Oh woah that's a lot! And yep - FSMQ...

Best of luck with German and Maths (I did French a while back so I've got modern languages out of the way) and everything on Friday! I'm doing Greek and Biology but no music :smile:

I got my worst week out of the way before half-term so now I've only got five exams left! Anyway, good luck again :smile:
Reply 52
2015:

Greek
Prose for an A*: 44
Verse for an A*: 41
Language 1 for an A*: 52
Language 2 for an A*: 51

Latin
Language 1 for A*: 48
Language 2 for A*: 51
Prose for A*: 42
Verse for A*: 41

I'd say the set text fluctuation isn't too bad - the biggest discrepancy is with the Language 1 (and Prose)

:gasp:That's not what I found but imma go with yours!!:excited:
Reply 53
Original post by Kaedra
I am :redface:

Are you also doing short course? From what I understand it's less about learning the sources and more about learning about Greece (e.g. from the In Search of the Greeks textbook), but focusing on what the sources are about...

Hey, no I'm doing the full course and absolutely hate the sources!! Would have much rather two set text! How do you find it?
Original post by fuzz13
:gasp:That's not what I found but imma go with yours!!:excited:

That's odd? Where were yours from? This was from a PDF on the ocr website...
Reply 55
That's odd? Where were yours from? This was from a PDF on the ocr website...

I can't remember now! Was probably looking at the wrong thing knowing me haha :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 56
Original post by fuzz13
Hey, no I'm doing the full course and absolutely hate the sources!! Would have much rather two set text! How do you find it?

Not sure because I've only had about 5 lessons on them :redface:
Didn't seem too awful but I haven't done enough past papers to judge... (just snippets here and there)

I thought that we just had to learn info on ancient Greece based on the sources, then do History-style evaluations of different sources in the paper?
Reply 57
Original post by Kaedra
Not sure because I've only had about 5 lessons on them :redface:
Didn't seem too awful but I haven't done enough past papers to judge... (just snippets here and there)

I thought that we just had to learn info on ancient Greece based on the sources, then do History-style evaluations of different sources in the paper?

Yeah something like that I think!! I just find it quite boring that's all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Good luck to everyone for the language tomorrow! I'm sure everyone will be fine and hopefully we'll get a good story that's not too difficult!:h:
Reply 59
Original post by fuzz13
Good luck to everyone for the language tomorrow! I'm sure everyone will be fine and hopefully we'll get a good story that's not too difficult!:h:

^ Famous last words :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending