The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 2 - 9th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Someboady
Got it thanks! Also can w=lambda * d / s be applied to Diffraction gratings ?

No for diffraction gratings you must use n*lambda = d*sin(Angle)
Original post by Tim73
No for diffraction gratings you must use n*lambda = d*sin(Angle)

But surely if you substitute s, as the value of the lines per m (spacing)... it would still work?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Someboady
But surely if you substitute s, as the value of the lines per m (spacing)... it would still work?

I can see why you think that but I'm not really sure. I wouldn't worry about it, just know that lambda = WS/D is only used for 2 slits and diffraction gratings uses the other one.
what does it mean on pg 19 of the specification when it says

plane transmission diffraction grating at normal incidence?? :s-smilie:
Reply 124
If they ask us for the definition of longitudinal should I say
"oscillation of particles is parallel to the direction of wave travel" (june 2014 paper)
or "direction of movement of particles in longitudinal waves is parallel to the energy propagation direction" (specimen paper)
i know both are valid answers but should i stick to the specimen paper definition just in case?
(edited 7 years ago)
is joules an si unit??
anyone got any example multiple choice questions other than the specimen papers (ive done both sets)
Im sure both will be acceptable, as a valid answers. The key point is particles do oscillate (move) parallel to the direction of the wave (energy propagation). Be safe and quote the new spec definition or just combine them! :smile:
Original post by Tim73
I can see why you think that but I'm not really sure. I wouldn't worry about it, just know that lambda = WS/D is only used for 2 slits and diffraction gratings uses the other one.

Thanks,
Also with regards to your question yesterday about the 2mm uncertainity (or 1)...if you look at the AQA practical handbook the preferred answered would be a +/- 1 unit (mm) scale division but for some reason they accept 2.
Reply 129
Okay I see, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone ready for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know 20 marks of the paper is based on a Practical, but my Physics Teacher never emphasised or really went over the importance of doing practicals for the paper. Really quite annoying.
Anyone know how to do Q26 on Set 2 Paper 2 of the specimen papers?

Edit: nvm got it
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck everybody. I just literally had to go and buy a new calculator an hour before the test :colondollar:
This is my last exam - just want it to be over
hey could some one show my how to do question 23 quickly please :smile:

NVM GOOD LUCK GUYS !
(edited 7 years ago)
I failed
Original post by tajtsracc
I failed

Your'e not the only one im pretty sure i flopped this exam, did you finish or guessed the last few mcq's
What did you get for question 9?
Original post by Hugo Roberts
What did you get for question 9?

We got told to cross the question out and not answer it at the start of the exam!

Quick Reply

Latest