The Student Room Group

HIS3D 1642-89 Crisis of State

Does anyone have any idea what the questions might be on Friday?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsBanana01628
Does anyone have any idea what the questions might be on Friday?

I'm thinking possibly the multiple Kingdoms/ foreign policy for the synoptic question, causes of the Restoration, possibly Exclusion or something on the Rump or N.A but also the 1660-1667 period hasn't come up for a while, maybe something on the CABAL? you?
I was thinking probably Exclusion because they've done stuff on James before and the Glorious Revolution last year.
Also probably something on the Interregnum period as that hasn't come up.
Unfortunately I don't think the Civil War will come up and I doubt the Restoration settlement itself will either.
Maybe something on finance as a factor as they've done quite a few on religion already? I was wondering if they would focus on Danby but there might not be enough material for a whole question on him.
They've also only done one question on Foreign Policy even though its quite a big part of the book so possibly something on that in the wider context of the Protectorate
I was thinking probably Exclusion because they've done stuff on James before and the Glorious Revolution last year.
Also probably something on the Interregnum period as that hasn't come up.
Unfortunately I don't think the Civil War will come up and I doubt the Restoration settlement itself will either.
Maybe something on finance as a factor as they've done quite a few on religion already? I was wondering if they would focus on Danby but there might not be enough material for a whole question on him.
They've also only done one question on Foreign Policy even though its quite a big part of the book so possibly something on that in the wider context of the Protectorate

I'm really hoping Exclusion comes up, I also quite like the Interregnum periods so hopefully something on that!! yeah and possibly multiple kingdoms for synoptic because that has never come up before! What are you hoping for?
Hopefully Exclusion because the causes of it are quite easy and you can ramble for ages about religion and fear of Catholicism hahah. I'm thinking maybe Interregnum in relation to religon!? so that the Major Generals are included etc. Multiple Kingdoms would be a good one. I mainly just hope the focus is large so just 'religion' or 'finance' as a whole rather than a specific factor picked out because it's much harder to counter argue.
Hopefully Exclusion because the causes of it are quite easy and you can ramble for ages about religion and fear of Catholicism hahah. I'm thinking maybe Interregnum in relation to religon!? so that the Major Generals are included etc. Multiple Kingdoms would be a good one. I mainly just hope the focus is large so just 'religion' or 'finance' as a whole rather than a specific factor picked out because it's much harder to counter argue.

If Exclusion came up I think I would cry of happiness, they're al linked as well which is so good. Yeah exactly! the specific factors are the worst ones, religion in the Interregnum would be so good as well. Really hoping for a good paper as I really need an A* Btw someone posted a timeline of the whole period http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4151111&p=65571333#post65571333 it may just help with revision for consolidating everything tomorrow!
Reply 6
Struggling to see how you could base a whole question on the multiple kingdoms unless you cover a huge period, what do you guys mean by this? :-)

(Also by 'synoptic' are we referring to the super long question?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Can somebody please do a quick run through of the Multiple Kingdoms - maybe give a brief explanation of it and any potential questions? It's hardly covered in the book as an explicit topic :frown:
Original post by Aquaxo
Struggling to see how you could base a whole question on the multiple kingdoms unless you cover a huge period, what do you guys mean by this? :-)

(Also by 'synoptic' are we referring to the super long question?)

And yeah synoptic are the questions from 1649-89 or from 1660-89 the breadth ones.

It could be "to what extent did the Multiple Kingdoms contribute to instability 1649-1689" or could even start from 1642

1642-9 you can talk about all the alliances for the Civil war which caused instability and entrenched divisions, then you could mention the Second Civil War and the Scottish involvement which lead to the regicide and caused complete instability as it lead to a change in government

1649-53 you could mention Cromwell in Ireland and Dunbar as well as Worcester. They contributed to political instability as pledged Charles II as their rightful king, undermining the Rump

1653-60 - This period was much more stable as the Irish threat had been put down and Cromwell put garrisons in Scotland to maintain stability. Cromwell's regime was fairly stable as well thus they had no reason to rebel or cause an uprising. Only threat was in 1660 when the Scottish were involved in the Restoration which brought about another change in government

1660-1678 - again this period remained quite stable, Scotland was garrisoned by Lauderdale and later James whilst the Irish remained silent

1678-85 Scotland contributed to the exclusion crisis through the succession act which undermined the Whigs, this created instability as it enhanced factionalism between the Whigs and Tories but helped Charles maintain power in the long run

1685-89 you could mention the battle of Boyne and how James caused religious instability in Scotland through enforcing Catholicism as only catholics and Quakers were allowed to worship in private through bills in February 1687
Reply 9
Original post by MelissaaC
And yeah synoptic are the questions from 1649-89 or from 1660-89 the breadth ones.

It could be "to what extent did the Multiple Kingdoms contribute to instability 1649-1689" or could even start from 1642

1642-9 you can talk about all the alliances for the Civil war which caused instability and entrenched divisions, then you could mention the Second Civil War and the Scottish involvement which lead to the regicide and caused complete instability as it lead to a change in government

1649-53 you could mention Cromwell in Ireland and Dunbar as well as Worcester. They contributed to political instability as pledged Charles II as their rightful king, undermining the Rump

1653-60 - This period was much more stable as the Irish threat had been put down and Cromwell put garrisons in Scotland to maintain stability. Cromwell's regime was fairly stable as well thus they had no reason to rebel or cause an uprising. Only threat was in 1660 when the Scottish were involved in the Restoration which brought about another change in government

1660-1678 - again this period remained quite stable, Scotland was garrisoned by Lauderdale and later James whilst the Irish remained silent

1678-85 Scotland contributed to the exclusion crisis through the succession act which undermined the Whigs, this created instability as it enhanced factionalism between the Whigs and Tories but helped Charles maintain power in the long run

1685-89 you could mention the battle of Boyne and how James caused religious instability in Scotland through enforcing Catholicism as only catholics and Quakers were allowed to worship in private through bills in February 1687

Thank you for this - it was exactly what I was hoping for! I guess I could write a fairly decent page on it, but I'd much rather have a question that specifically referred to another cause and then draw upon this separately. Not sure why everybody likes the Multiple Kingdoms so much :-)
Original post by Aquaxo
Thank you for this - it was exactly what I was hoping for! I guess I could write a fairly decent page on it, but I'd much rather have a question that specifically referred to another cause and then draw upon this separately. Not sure why everybody likes the Multiple Kingdoms so much :-)

Dw! Yes Multiple Kingdoms is definitely not my favourite topic, would prefer a synoptic question on finance or foreign policy but I suppose we will just have to wait and see what will come up! Good luck tomorrow though!!!
How hard do people think the paper will be??
Reply 12
Dw! Yes Multiple Kingdoms is definitely not my favourite topic, would prefer a synoptic question on finance or foreign policy but I suppose we will just have to wait and see what will come up! Good luck tomorrow though!!!

Thank you!! You too! I tend to avoid the synoptic question so I hope the two specific ones are on the Interregnum as well as anything on Charles II really, but religion would be fab.
Original post by Aquaxo
Thank you!! You too! I tend to avoid the synoptic question so I hope the two specific ones are on the Interregnum as well as anything on Charles II really, but religion would be fab.

Thank you!! yes Interregnum or something specifically on the Rump would be so good! What questions do you think will come up?
Reply 14
Thank you!! yes Interregnum or something specifically on the Rump would be so good! What questions do you think will come up?

It's impossible to guess and we usually end up wrong anyway. This is the last year of the spec, isn't it? I'm hoping that means they recycle successful questions rather than use all the random topics that have been avoided before :frown:
Original post by Aquaxo
It's impossible to guess and we usually end up wrong anyway. This is the last year of the spec, isn't it? I'm hoping that means they recycle successful questions rather than use all the random topics that have been avoided before :frown:

Yeah tbh I've guessed a few but there are so many topics it could be. I'm just hoping because it's the last year they won't be very horrible to us because I thought the 2015 paper was quite hard -_- or at least Q2 and 3!
How is everyone revising last minute?
Original post by megandardenne
How is everyone revising last minute?

I'm reading through my notes and going through all my flashcards, will go through my past papers tonight and just make sure I have all of the key dates in my head, you?
Reply 18
I've been through the past papers, so tonight I will just be going through my period summaries, my timeline and my list of key stats/figures (which is like 10 pages long:frown:).

To be honest I'm not sure you can ever really feel ready for this exam!
Just checking is anyone still focusing on the GR in detail, it came up last year so I don't know if I should specifically focus on it again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending