The Student Room Group

LLM LPC Courses - Eligibility for PG Loan

Hello!

I have read the Postgraduate Loan FAQs and I am still not very clear on which LLM LPC courses may be eligible for the PG Loan, or what the specific criteria are for deciding eligibility.

Would SFE consider publishing a list of, or advising on, which LLM LPC courses are and are not eligible for the PG loan? Or, if not, issuing much more detailed guidance on the eligibility criteria?

Thank you,

Adam
Ask this in the SFE area as id be interested in knowing what the criteria are.
Alternatively ring the course provider and see if they have made it pgl eligible.
If you use the search function you will probably find this has been answered by now.

My understanding is it may be coverred if its a full LLM to start with and it wont be covered if its just the LPC with a top up to convert it to an LLM by say doing a dissertation like @ UoLaw.

Contact the providers and they will know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi 999tigger,

I've subsequently posted this in the SFE area on here. (Being a newbie, I was a bit gung-ho posting in the wrong forum :wink:

I have approached a few providers directly and have received varying responses. Some, like UoL state that the full range of their LLM LPC courses are not eligible for the PGL, whilst others suggest that their course *should* be eligible provided the full LLM is completed.

Each provider has (or should have made) their own assessment of eligibility, but the decision rests with SFE so it would be preferable for SFE to issue either a definitive list of eligible courses, or much clearer guidance on eligibility criteria.

Having looked into a number of these LLM LPC courses, they are all "sold" as a full LLM, but in practice are all modeled on completing the LPC components and then "topping up" to an LLM, so the distinction as to why some are eligible and others aren't really isn't clear.

I trawled the threads on this site using the search function, and whilst there's some great info out there, there hasn't been (that I have found) a comprehensive response from SFE, hence my decision to post the questions.

Cheers,

AK
Its come up a number of times. I found the answers from SFE very wooly and boiled down to what i told you. Obviously should be eligible is not the same as is or will be. When I have looked at these courses they just seem to be the LPC and then they ask you to do a dissertation in your own time, so its a highly suspect way of saying its an LLM, when in fact its really the LPC.

I like the fact UoL have said not eligible, as they must be the biggest provider. Do BPP offer something similar?
It would require sfe to devote resources to check each course.
Some guidance from SFE would be handy as Law is a particular case which will have a lot of candidates using this route if it is open to them. Obviously its far more advantageous than a CDL if you are self funding.
Reply 4
Exactly, the answers so far have been woolly, hence my request for definitive information.

Yes, BPP also provide an LLM LPC course.

Why do you like the fact that UoL have assessed their range of LLM LPC courses as not eligible?

Yes, it will require some resource from SFE to assess the range of potential LLM LPC courses and issue definitive information. But perhaps less resource than SFE will otherwise dedicate to assessing each individual LLM LPC PGL application. With more definitive guidance now, applicants will be better placed to make informed decisions about whether or not to apply for the PGL.
Original post by AdamKa
Exactly, the answers so far have been woolly, hence my request for definitive information.

Yes, BPP also provide an LLM LPC course.

Why do you like the fact that UoL have assessed their range of LLM LPC courses as not eligible?

Yes, it will require some resource from SFE to assess the range of potential LLM LPC courses and issue definitive information. But perhaps less resource than SFE will otherwise dedicate to assessing each individual LLM LPC PGL application. With more definitive guidance now, applicants will be better placed to make informed decisions about whether or not to apply for the PGL.

Because at least they have reached a clear position and can give you an answer. No different from last year.

Agree with the other point hence me saying the answer was wooly. I was going to point this out to them at the time. I recall that week there were several threads asking the same thing and for a change someone came from SFE and gave answers. I had thought they would have clairified ths situation since then.

PQ might know if there have been further developments.
Reply 6
I think this is really really necessary! The whole thing is really confusing!
I'm trying to look for one down South if possible.
@PQ
Can you let people know if there is a definitive answer to this, as the previous ones from SFE have been wooly. Is it SFE who decide or the institution?
Wouldnt it make more sense for SFE rto compile a list of approved courses as there onviously thousands of people who might do the LPC and self fund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending