The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
I feel like that question was really misleading in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was horribly worded, I took it as statutes that could be passed but thinking about it, it could be codification vs not codifying
Original post by hanhan19
Then what were you supposed to write about ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 ways in which they are effective. passage said they are elected which means they can't be whipped etc. that's what I did
Original post by mollyadtr
I feel like that question was really misleading in general.

Hey, we haven't seen the mark scheme yet. For all we know, we actually answered it correctly.
These are SUBJECTIVE subjects, i.e. can be interpreted in different ways. I think you'll be fine molly :tongue:
Can someone please respond. I need to know how bad I have messed up or not haha. I only did the Commons side with no Lords for the 25 mark Parliament question. What mark am I limited to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1405
Does anyone know the exact (or even rough) wording of question 2/c/ (Prime Minister and Cabinet, 25 marker)? I came out of the exam and forgot literally everything about that question.
Guys, for the 40 marker judiciary I just wrote about why judges are best guardian for civil liberties & rights and why they are not. I didnt really write much about parliament. Is that alright?
Im confused now
I talked about the lords , AV , devolution and codification ? So its that right or wrong :/
Original post by Korak
Does anyone know the exact (or even rough) wording of question 2/c/ (Prime Minister and Cabinet, 25 marker)? I came out of the exam and forgot literally everything about that question.

I think it was to what extent are PMs free from political constraint, something like that.

I totally ignored the source and just wrote my own answers :frown: Does anybody know how many marks this would lose?
Original post by King Geedorah
Can someone please respond. I need to know how bad I have messed up or not haha. I only did the Commons side with no Lords for the 25 mark Parliament question. What mark am I limited to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how many marks you would have lost but I reckon its quite a few as they specifically said parliament in the question which means you were supposed to talk about both the commons and the lords.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Babs Posh
I think it was to what extent are PMs free from political constraint, something like that.

I totally ignored the source and just wrote my own answers :frown: Does anybody know how many marks this would lose?

You never know your answers may have been in the source without you knowing because the source is quite general. What did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know how many marks you would have lost but I reckon its quite a few as they specifically said parliament in the question which means you were supposed to talk about both the commons and the lords.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh God, Thank you for responding. Do you reckon 12 would be achievable? Need that at the very least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1412
I did the PM and and constitution.
For constitution 40MQ I wrote about:
- Codification
- HoL reform
- Human Rights
- Increased use of referendums to propose reform

I was overall quite happy thought it was a much nice paper than unit 1!!
For everyone worrying about the codified/uncodified don't worry it is correct, how I think there were many other things that need to be included rather than focusing the whole argument on codification. Such as the Unelected bodies within the politics process, parliaments sovereignty, clearer details of the executive's power, protection of civil rights and liberties. However it allows for pragmatism/flexibility and it's stood the test of time
Reply 1414
Original post by Babs Posh

Thank you!

I didn't refer back to the source at all, either. As far as I know you don't have to refer back to it at all in a 25-marker, only in the 5 and 10-markers.

Remembered the exact wording: "To what extent is the Prime Minister free from effective political constraints?".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1415
You have to use the source but I'm sure you'll get perhaps 7/8 marks for your answer.

I used both knowledge and source and said:

-Deputy PM is more than a 'de facto' deputy and there is a dual power base on choosing ministers and decisions.
- Mixed political ideologies meant that Cameron effectively gave out free votes on bills, e.g on gay marriage.
- Coalition meant that patronage powers were shared and the PM could not dominate-return to cabinet government in some ways in terms of consultation.
How could devolution be used in the 40 marker for constitution?
You never know your answers may have been in the source without you knowing because the source is quite general. What did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, I was so rushed for time I completely forgot to look at them! How stupid :s-smilie:

I did the PM and Cabinet question, for the 10 marker about the Coalition I wrote about the emphasis on compromise and consensus politics, and Cameron's limited power on who to have in Cabinet etc. I can't remember what I wrote for the 5 marker, I'm pretty sure it was wrong though because I didn't understand it :frown: Oh well
I talked about constituency reduction for constitution 40 mark, is this correct?
I only used 3 examples and only made 4 points and no conclusion whats the max points you think could get for 25 marks?

Quick Reply

Latest