The Student Room Group

Why should we care that it's Ramadan?

Scroll to see replies

Because it has an effect on loads of people so naturally people will talk about it..
Reply 21
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Because a large percent of the population are starving and dehyrdating themselves during the day time. Its bad for production, bad for business, bad for practicing education and in some instances bad for the NHS because Muslims who refuse to take medication such as tablets because they cant drink water. (Before you say the old, sick are exempt... these are anecdotes i have heard from GP's)

I imagine soon we will have to make accommodations to negate some of these effects likely to the detriment and inconvenience of the wider population (I think exams were touted as being moved etc)

Interesting.

My mum, who's a doctor for the NHS, said that some of the Muslim doctors will refuse to hand patients medicine if during the hours of Ramadan.
Why is everyone being out of order to the thread poster. Get over yourself, you sound like whiny little children. THIS IS A FORUM. Forums are for discussion, I agree, why is it so much in our news and so much happens around it. England is a Christian country and they barely say this much about Christmas. I don't really mind but these people that keep posting like "why do you care" need to go outside and talk to humans honestly
Original post by The Roast
Interesting.

My mum, who's a doctor for the NHS, said that some of the Muslim doctors will refuse to hand patients medicine if during the hours of Ramadan.

Why?
Ramadan is a month means so much more and so many things have happened in this month. Plus fasting and Ramadan are two completely different things (just an fyi). The Qu'ran was brought down on this month, the jinns were forbidden to go above this sky to the other skies and so much more. And, there are so many Muslims in this world so ofc people are going to care.

Spoiler

I don't get why we (society/mainstream media) care so much about a holy month?

Because, people respect other religions. If nobody "cared", no muslims would be bothered. It's just a matter of being respectful towards other religions. Some people do still have humanity left in them
Right, well I don't need your snide remarks.

Making a thread attacking a large faith's holy month and complaining about the 'snide remarks' you're receiving is like shooting yourself in the foot and complaining about gun safety.
But most of society doesn't care because most of us aren't Muslims. I certainly don't care about Ramadan.
Reply 28
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Ramadan is a month means so much more and so many things have happened in this month. Plus fasting and Ramadan are two completely different things (just an fyi). The Qu'ran was brought down on this month, the jinns were forbidden to go above this sky to the other skies and so much more. And, there are so many Muslims in this world so ofc people are going to care.

Spoiler

There are just over 3 million muslims in the UK... which means well over 60 million of us who aren't.

No offence, but I don't care what Ramadan is, or the story behind it.
Reply 29
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Making a thread attacking a large faith's holy month and complaining about the 'snide remarks' you're receiving is like shooting yourself in the foot and complaining about gun safety.

Don't be silly, "attacking" is an exaggeration.

Of course it is :rolleyes:
The tories are using it to brain wash the masses into voting to remain in the EU.
There are just over 3 million muslims in the UK... which means well over 60 million of us who aren't.

No offence, but I don't care what Ramadan is, or the story behind it.

That's only in the UK...and you don't need to be so closed minded. You asked a question about Ramadan resulting in you obviously caring about Ramadan.
Reply 32
Original post by Mrs.Grey
That's only in the UK...and you don't need to be so closed minded. You asked a question about Ramadan resulting in you obviously caring about Ramadan.

No... Again, I don't care about Ramadan. I'm bothered about it being so prevalent in mainstream media.

I'm referring specifically to the UK - where I live.
Grade boundaries... think about it :K:
If you're ill or doing exams you can eat. It's kinda silly if you're ill and fast when you need medicines. I'm Muslim
Reply 35
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Why?

Something to do with handling the medicine itself, I think.
What is the problem here? Ramadan isn't being forced down anyones throat, if you are non muslim then you won't even notice unless you are trying to.

Ramadan isn't even advertised on British TV unlike Christmas,Easter,Halloween etc.

OP mate what is the problem here?
Please Shut Up. Muslims Dont Only Live In UK
Reply 38
its called having respect for other faiths, and if u don't care, then why make a thread about it
I don't get why we (society/mainstream media) care so much about a holy month?

Why do you care about christmas and easter. :colonhash: I don't get why christians care about easter and december who to them is considered a 'holy' month :u:

Quick Reply

Latest