The Student Room Group

A2 WJEC PY3 & PY4 (8th June & 14th June 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by User2334541
As for PY4, I am playing a prediction game myself as I have used the 2012 to 2015 questions and tried working out the ones that have not come up and work up to the ones that pretty much that have appeared.

It is quite a risky game, but tbf, going from the essays that haven't come up to the ones that did come up but on odd occasions is quite a logical step forward, in terms of prediction.

Only going to be learning 12 essays, 3 each for Controversies, LoC, Forensics and Abnormality.

I am predicting too and I also came up with 12 essays, 3 each! :O
Original post by jim80james123
I'm worrying about the py3 exam, for non participant observation for an advantage I said objective and neutral, for disadvantage i said social desirability bias, for the issue of reliability I said that the measuring tool for aggressive behaviour may not be consistent, for the confounding variable in section b I said the envrionemtn where the questionnaire is answered could influence the behaviour and affect the validity(situational variable) for the experimental hypothesis I said 'there will be a difference between how many horror films a participant watched and the development of a phobia' and the null I said 'there will not be a difference between how many horror films a participant watches and the development of a phobia.' can someone give me feedback on these answers?

Obviously I'm no teacher but I've done literally every single past PY3 paper in existence to the point where my teacher had to start making her own for me so although I may not be 100% correct I'm pretty confident so here we go:

1) your advantage for participant observation was correct so that's fine but social desirability bias is not likely to be accepted as correct as it's more to do with questionnaires/participants, not the researcher.

2) the reliability issue is correct however you have to have stated that this would have impacted internal reliability (to get the full 2 if you have a strict marker)

3) again your questionnaire confounding variable is correct

4) i dont know if you'll get a mark for your directional hypothesis, you needed to talk about the difference between conditions i.e. there will be a significant difference between the amount of people who developed phobias due to the media and those who developed them from other sources. There was no mention of horror films. Pretty sure you wont get a mark for the null because that's not what the experiment was about, you needed to have something like: there will be no significant difference between the amount of people who developed phobias due to the media and those who developed them from other sources. You needed to compare the origin of phobias not just phobias of people who watched horror films (because again these weren't mentioned?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jim80james123
I'm worrying about the py3 exam, for non participant observation for an advantage I said objective and neutral, for disadvantage i said social desirability bias, for the issue of reliability I said that the measuring tool for aggressive behaviour may not be consistent, for the confounding variable in section b I said the envrionemtn where the questionnaire is answered could influence the behaviour and affect the validity(situational variable) for the experimental hypothesis I said 'there will be a difference between how many horror films a participant watched and the development of a phobia' and the null I said 'there will not be a difference between how many horror films a participant watches and the development of a phobia.' can someone give me feedback on these answers?

Non-PO - if you expanded then 4/4
Reliability - 1/2
Confounding - 2/2
Experimental - 1/2
Null - 1/2 (In order to get 2 marks for the hypothesis questions there needs to be a mention of the IV, DV, and the significance of their relationship 'there will be no significant relationship between exposure to the media and the intensity of phobic reaction to stimuli')

For those of you who weren't taught, a non-participant observation is where the researcher(s) are not a part of the observation
Original post by AlteredBoy
Non-PO - if you expanded then 4/4
Reliability - 1/2
Confounding - 2/2
Experimental - 1/2
Null - 1/2 (In order to get 2 marks for the hypothesis questions there needs to be a mention of the IV, DV, and the significance of their relationship 'there will be no significant relationship between exposure to the media and the intensity of phobic reaction to stimuli':wink:

For those of you who weren't taught, a non-participant observation is where the researcher(s) are not a part of the observation

That non-participant observation definition sounds like you're saying the researchers who proposed whatever they're researching are just not the ones doing the observation? i.e. like they hired a 3rd party to do their observations for them
Original post by savingwonderland
That non-participant observation definition sounds like you're saying the researchers who proposed whatever they're researching are just not the ones doing the observation? i.e. like they hired a 3rd party to do their observations for them

Essentially there's the main researcher and their students/whatever (hence the et al on a lot of cases of participant observations), and the main researcher is not a participant, as opposed to a participant observation, where they are literally one of the people whose data will be taken and used in analysis
Does anyone remember all of the questions in the exam asked in section A and B?
Original post by AlteredBoy
Essentially there's the main researcher and their students/whatever (hence the et al on a lot of cases of participant observations), and the main researcher is not a participant, as opposed to a participant observation, where they are literally one of the people whose data will be taken and used in analysis

Yeah it's where the observer takes part in the research but their data isn't used because they're the one recording the data...so it's just when the observer becomes part of the group they're observing in order to gather more in depth detail e.g. posing as a nurse in order to gain data on incorrect prescriptions ect.
As for PY4, I am playing a prediction game myself as I have used the 2012 to 2015 questions and tried working out the ones that have not come up and work up to the ones that pretty much that have appeared.

It is quite a risky game, but tbf, going from the essays that haven't come up to the ones that did come up but on odd occasions is quite a logical step forward, in terms of prediction.

Only going to be learning 12 essays, 3 each for Controversies, LoC, Forensics and Abnormality.

Hi could u tell me the 3 of each your learning as were doing the same questions and i wanna do what your doing aha! If you could tell me the 3 of each i would be super appreciative !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by savingwonderland
4) i dont know if you'll get a mark for your directional hypothesis, you needed to talk about the difference between conditions i.e. there will be a significant difference between the amount of people who developed phobias due to the media and those who developed them from other sources. There was no mention of horror films. Pretty sure you wont get a mark for the null because that's not what the experiment was about, you needed to have something like: there will be no significant difference between the amount of people who developed phobias due to the media and those who developed them from other sources. You needed to compare the origin of phobias not just phobias of people who watched horror films (because again these weren't mentioned?)

Probably the only question I REALLY ballsed up on. For some reason I operationalised it and started talking about Heart Rate but in the correct context, so no idea if I'll pick up any marks. I put:

"There'll be a significantly increased heart rate in those exposed to the media regularly when exposed to a phobic object than those who are not exposed to the media regularly".

Not sure if it'll pick up any marks at all. Opinion please?
Hello guys,

I have just seen this thread and realised that there was not much for this specific exam board that I am sitting for.

I realised that it is best to open one for you all to discuss and share your thoughts on the exams that are upcoming and also have a discussion on the final exam as to what may come up and what not.

Fire away any questions on this thread and at least get to somewhere positive.

:h:

Has anyone got any tips for remembering understudied relationships and the studies?
Original post by katierachel
Has anyone got any tips for remembering understudied relationships and the studies?

I'm literally reducing it down to the name and a 'trigger word/phrase' so like Lenhart (2001) would go with IM. All I'm doing is getting the paragraph that goes with it in my head nice and compactly and using a mnemonic as a method of remembering what my triggers are.
Thank you!

Has anyone got predictions as to what's gonna come up?
Reply 52
Anyone have any predictions for PY4? I think it might be Factors Affecting EWT
Reply 53
Original post by katierachel
Thank you!

Has anyone got predictions as to what's gonna come up?

What topics are you doing?
Reply 54
for the aqa a psychology unit 3 exam yesterday , i answered the evolutionary explanation which was not their instead of evoltionary of human aggression . would i lose all the marks. it was 4+16
Original post by najtuna
for the aqa a psychology unit 3 exam yesterday , i answered the evolutionary explanation which was not their instead of evoltionary of human aggression . would i lose all the marks. it was 4+16

This isthe wrong exam board thread :/ I can't tell you for sure but someone else who does your exam board will know. But if you read a question wrong therefore wrote the answer to a different question you probably have lost most, if not, all, of your marks for that question
Original post by najtuna

If the question you answered was not actually asked on the paper then i think you may not get any marks unfortunately but you never no. For example in wjec theres "ethical issues in human research" and then a question "ways of dealing with ethical issues" if you were asked the first one in the exam but answered the second one by accident i dont think examiners will mark it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sexybadman
If the question you answered was not actually asked on the paper then i think you may not get any marks unfortunately but you never no. For example in wjec theres "ethical issues in human research" and then a question "ways of dealing with ethical issues" if you were asked the first one in the exam but answered the second one by accident i dont think examiners will mark it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

After all the stuff with the GCSE biology paper I had a nightmare the night before that they combined those two questions for a 30 marker 😷
Original post by RozJones
Anyone have any predictions for PY4? I think it might be Factors Affecting EWT

My teacher thinks EWT will come up too.
Original post by RozJones
What topics are you doing?

Abnormality, relationships, controversies & levels of consciousness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending