The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by finn61
I talked about constituency reduction for constitution 40 mark, is this correct?

Yes!
What was the exact question for the 40 marker constitution essay? I am really worried that I have misinterpreted it and got it completely wrong :/
Can someone tell me if this is alright for the constitution 40 marker?

For Reform:
Since its unentrenched, any reform isn't binding on the next govt, so they can change it for their own interests

since its uncodified, people don't know their place in society, then i mentioned how the implementation of ECHR (a reform) helped people to understand their rights, showing that reform so far has been good, so further should happen

Scottish, Welsh and NI devolution has proved very popular

Against Reform:
Its unentrenched, uncodified nature is beneficial as it allows it to be changed according to the times, unlike USA

that people aren't interested in changing it - AV referendum no, Scottish Referendum no

Politicians aren't interested in changing it - unfinished reforms (failure of labour to have election referendum

its stood the test of time

conc:
these examples show that it must be true that arguments against further reform are more convincing
I only wrote several reforms and for and agsaint each reform and the arguments agsaint reform outweigh the arguments for reform for the 40 marker consitution. How many marks would I necsarily get ? Am so upset that I didn't answer the question right
Original post by Babs Posh
I hope so, I was so rushed for time I completely forgot to look at them! How stupid :s-smilie:

I did the PM and Cabinet question, for the 10 marker about the Coalition I wrote about the emphasis on compromise and consensus politics, and Cameron's limited power on who to have in Cabinet etc. I can't remember what I wrote for the 5 marker, I'm pretty sure it was wrong though because I didn't understand it :frown: Oh well

It'll be fine - you probably talked about the source without realising. Which 40 marker did you do?
What did people write for the coalition 25 5, 10 and 25 marker?
Original post by King Geedorah
Can someone please respond. I need to know how bad I have messed up or not haha. I only did the Commons side with no Lords for the 25 mark Parliament question. What mark am I limited to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on what points you used.
For commons there is the ability to veto, vote of no confidence and governments accountability to parliament.
The only lords one tbh was its independence so able to block legislation and I used the example of tax credits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
These are SUBJECTIVE subjects, i.e. can be interpreted in different ways. I think you'll be fine molly :tongue:

Thank you so much 😁I bet you did good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
It'll be fine - you probably talked about the source without realising. Which 40 marker did you do?

Haha thanks! I did the judiciary one, although could have easily gone for the Constitution one - they were nice questions!

Did yours go well? :smile:
I didn't have time to answer the 10 mark question on Parliament :frown:, I didnt finish the 25 marker (about 2.5 sides with two points each side that could have been developed more) and for the 40 marker, I talked about an elected House of Lords, electoral reform (av referendum no vote so no appetite for change and how FPTP is unfair and produces big majorities that dominate Parliament) and about codification in relation to rights and the judiciary. I'm not sure how I did but I reckon I lost a lot of marks at probably will get an E
Original post by Hannaha124
It depends on what points you used.
For commons there is the ability to veto, vote of no confidence and governments accountability to parliament.
The only lords one tbh was its independence so able to block legislation and I used the example of tax credits

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did all of the Commons ones you just mentioned. But no Lords.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For everyone worrying about the codified/uncodified don't worry it is correct, how I think there were many other things that need to be included rather than focusing the whole argument on codification. Such as the Unelected bodies within the politics process, parliaments sovereignty, clearer details of the executive's power, protection of civil rights and liberties. However it allows for pragmatism/flexibility and it's stood the test of time

That is precisely what I did. I put weak protection of rights as an argument for reform, elective dictatorship as an argument for reform, effective government as an argument for no further reform, and history/tradition as an argument for no further reform.
I did all of the Commons ones you just mentioned. But no Lords.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool tbh. I did all of this except the accountability hopefully a solid 20/25 at least if you've left one out, maybe even less

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's cool tbh. I did all of this except the accountability hopefully a solid 20/25 at least if you've left one out, maybe even less

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, so you believe that although I added no Lords but all the commons points, I'd still be able to salvage like 12 marks at the very least?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay, so you believe that although I added no Lords but all the commons points, I'd still be able to salvage like 12 marks at the very least?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Way more than 12 imo, relax its over now. There were really only 4 options for the paragraph options so many people would have only done three. I meant 20/25 minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile
So for the 25 marker, did we need to use the source? because i didn't but some of my points were very similar to the source.
Way more than 12 imo, relax its over now. There were really only 4 options for the paragraph options so many people would have only done three. I meant 20/25 minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Was really worried about that question and now it doesn't seem too bad. Hopefully we get the grades we want on results day haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
And what did everyone write on the PM 25 marker?
Hellloo, so for the constitution question, we answer it with constitutional 'reforms' right? like legislations passed by past government and present and then answer if it needs further reform or against it being reformed right? Not arguments for a codified or stay un codified?!
Original post by Babs Posh
Haha thanks! I did the judiciary one, although could have easily gone for the Constitution one - they were nice questions!

Did yours go well? :smile:

Yeah both nice, I saw constitutional reform and I was so happy lol. It's so stretched for time though, I couldn't do the 10 marker properly so hard with time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending