The Student Room Group

Wtf should I do with my life?

Alright, I write this only because I'm completely clueless. I'll try list as much about me as I think could be relevant, but feel free to ask for more details.
So, I'm an 18 year old guy from Scotland. I came out of school with Highers in English, Geography, Business Management and PE at grades B,B,D,B as well as some awards in things like football refereeing and the like (and a no award at Higher Physics (-_-)
I've always been interested in multiple sports and am a keen 'gamer' (I hate that word). On top of that I am quite into aviation and various motorsports. This year I decided to go down the engineering route at college (which is always what I imagined myself doing in some form or another), but I now I know I can't stand it and that's left me pretty much stumped. I just don't know what kind of job I'm suited for, please help lol.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How about switching to English or Geography (Geog probably has more career options) at uni and seeing where that takes you? x good luck!
Original post by cbreef
Alright, I write this only because I'm completely clueless. I'll try list as much about me as I think could be relevant, but feel free to ask for more details.
So, I'm an 18 year old guy from Scotland. I came out of school with Highers in English, Geography, Business Management and PE at grades B,B,D,B as well as some awards in things like football refereeing and the like (and a no award at Higher Physics (-_-)
I've always been interested in multiple sports and am a keen 'gamer' (I hate that word). On top of that I am quite into aviation and various motorsports. This year I decided to go down the engineering route at college (which is always what I imagined myself doing in some form or another), but I now I know I can't stand it and that's left me pretty much stumped. I just don't know what kind of job I'm suited for, please help lol.

You could try and get an apprenticeship?
Original post by cbreef

I think this system we have makes it very difficult for us students because it makes us think you have to have an area of interest, learn it academically, and then work a 9-5 to work sub-par in that field, to hate your life and end up with a less than mediocre retirement where you look back and realise your life was wasted and you fell into a trap

I'm currently at uni studying psychology but I don't want a job in that field and what I'd recommend is you learn how to do internet marketing and to earn passive income online, read all those brilliant books out there that inspire people everyday to live a life of more freedom like the four hour work week, right now I'm going to enjoy my psychology studies as best I can without any fear of failing it, I'm attempting this online business stuff on the side and hopefully by the time I leave uni or have worked in any random job for a couple years I'll be making thousands every month for a free life so that I can find out my passion and purpose and what I want to contribute with my time in my own time and way. I can't just drop out of uni for certain reasons, but if you can, then don't be afraid to once you've got a grasp of the online marketing stuff I'm talking about. Many millionaires are made of people who have hardly any official qualifications. When you see life in terms of systems and you understand the power of human beliefs about life then you will begin to feel empowered to challenge the status quo. Growing up I've always been a goody two shoes, follows the rules, doesn't challenge authority and mainstream ideas, and now over the last couple years my entire view has drastically changed

Anyway, the gist of this is there is a way out if you're willing to learn the stuff from the top percent of people who do things different from the rest of us, to ultimately create the life you want. Then all your worries about finding the right degree and job will no longer exist, poof, gone
@ImNotReallyMe Interesting read, sounds too good to be true though.
@Edminzodo Yeah, it's a good enough idea, but in what field? I always thought most apprenticeships were in engineering or marketing or some other boring s*** like that. Am I wrong?
@cazzers123 Me? Uni? lol. I don't think I have good enough grades anyway....

Thanks for the input people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
@ImNotReallyMe Interesting read, sounds too good to be true though.
@Edminzodo Yeah, it's a good enough idea, but in what field? I always thought most apprenticeships were in engineering or marketing or some other boring s*** like that. Am I wrong?
@cazzers123 Me? Uni? lol. I don't think I have good enough grades anyway....

Thanks for the input people.

Look around, do some research online. There are a lot more apprenticeships about than you think, although yes, a lot are in those fields. They might not be boring, though!
Original post by cbreef

Have you ever thought about becoming a pilot? Right now airlines are recruiting lots of pilot for the future because airline are expanding do almost all UK airlines have a form of future pilot programmes which you meet the requirements to joins, There are also F1 engineering apprenticeships if that's your thing?
Have you considered not going to college at all? There are far better opportunities than going to university.
Reply 8
Yeah, as said, apprenticeships aren't a bad idea. I, personally, would consider something such as policing; just because I have a major interest!
I can't help with all of those subjects but if you decide to go down the PE route some how I had a similar pickle to you. I looked into the following:
- PE teaching
- Coaching
- Fitness Instructing (of some kind)
- Personal Training
- Working in a Sports Centre (in some way)
I also thought about working at PGL or similar until I worked out what I was going to do. This fell through in the end because they offered me a 12 week contract which I already had commitments that I couldn't get out of.

I also kept a folder of research ideas. I contacted companies asking for advice and found people (in many different ways) who already in the job to their opinions, advice and to find the pros and cons.

I don't know if this has been any help at all. If you want any more help at all please PM me I would be happy to help where I can.
Hey Cbreef! Apprenticeships area good option as they give you qualifications and experience in a given field... which is great if it is a field you are interested in and enjoy. The problem comes when you don't really know what you want to do, or there are several things that interest you.

Do you have a careers center close to you? They may be able to offer you some advice and guidance, and sometimes they have 'tests' to match you to jobs with your personality. Work experience or placements can be another good way to dabble in different fields until you find one hat clicks.

With regards to uni, more and more Universities, including ourselves, are offering degrees with foundation years in various subjects - have you had a look into these?

Dave (Enquiries, Glyndwr University)
Original post by GliderPilotSam
Have you ever thought about becoming a pilot? Right now airlines are recruiting lots of pilot for the future because airline are expanding do almost all UK airlines have a form of future pilot programmes which you meet the requirements to joins, There are also F1 engineering apprenticeships if that's your thing?

@GliderPilotSam Pilot sounds awesome! But very ambitious. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but that seems far too ambitious for someone like me :biggrin:
@SirMilkSheikh I did this year in engineering, but it was awful lol
@Sportycb Maybe I need to look into this a bit more than I have, I never thought of half of those. Thanks

I'm actually overwhelmed with the input guys, thank you. Nice to know people want to help
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
Pilot sounds awesome! But very ambitious. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but that seems far too ambitious for someone like me :frown:

Never know until you try, but it is difficult.

I suggest you try to get some careers advice, but ultimately just try some thing.
Original post by Glyndŵr University
Hey Cbreef! Apprenticeships area good option as they give you qualifications and experience in a given field... which is great if it is a field you are interested in and enjoy. The problem comes when you don't really know what you want to do, or there are several things that interest you.

Do you have a careers center close to you? They may be able to offer you some advice and guidance, and sometimes they have 'tests' to match you to jobs with your personality. Work experience or placements can be another good way to dabble in different fields until you find one hat clicks.

With regards to uni, more and more Universities, including ourselves, are offering degrees with foundation years in various subjects - have you had a look into these?

Dave (Enquiries, Glyndwr University)

I couldn't respond using the @ thing for some reason so I'll respond directly. I think there's a careers centre quite close to me, I'll need to look into making an appointment or something???
I can't say say I have looked at a "year 0" course, though I have heard about these kind of things. Do you have any more info on this kind of course? I mean you'd be the person to ask about this surely. Cheers

@Elivercury Yeah I should at least look into it I suppose, otherwise I'm just being ignorant really. Thanks dude
(edited 7 years ago)
No worries. It's worth noting that I'm currently doing a career change at nearly 30 after deciding engineering isn't working out for me, so you're far from being alone in struggling to find something you're happy doing for 40-50 years. Just do what you can and if it doesn't work out, try something else.
Original post by cbreef

I don't how I can help tbh but I'll pray for you nonetheless BUT THAT ORANGUTAN IS SO CUTE MASHALLAH OMF
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I don't how I can help tbh but I'll pray for you nonetheless BUT THAT ORANGUTAN IS SO CUTE MASHALLAH OMF

I love Orangs, so when I saw this I had to use it :biggrin:
Original post by cbreef
I love Orangs, so when I saw this I had to use it :biggrin:

They're so beautiful
Original post by Elivercury
No worries. It's worth noting that I'm currently doing a career change at nearly 30 after deciding engineering isn't working out for me, so you're far from being alone in struggling to find something you're happy doing for 40-50 years. Just do what you can and if it doesn't work out, try something else.

Lol, I had enough of engineering after just one year
I couldn't stand it. :biggrin:
Original post by Mrs.Grey
They're so beautiful

Are you sure? Have you seen an adult male?:biggrin:
Baby ones are ADORABLE but the older males look like they've been hit straight in the face with a iron:dance:

Quick Reply

Latest