The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simple Harmonic
IIRC I drew this too. I think my normal line was a little wonky however since I was rushing.

I drew this also
Original post by Jon1234321
diamond.png

Anyone else apart from me and JamieOH draw this?

Ah crap, how were we supposed to know this?
Original post by boyyo
I usually aim not to drop more than 15, after the exam i counted about 20, but after seeing what people are saying Im think about 25ish, so that would mean I'll get 45/70 give or take. Depending on grade boundaries hopefully it'll be a decent B.
But having said that, it was 47 for an A last year, so maybe I might be able to scrape an A

I have a problem with finishing exams at the best of times - I'm an incredibly slow writer - so this test wasn't great.

I dropped 5 on the 6-marker as I thought I would come back and do it at the end, 2 marks on the progressive wave one (same reason), 2 on the different material of refraction (ran out of time) and a selection of marks here and there because of petty errors - for instance the light that appears first, which for some reason I put red even though I worked it out that it should have been violet.

Perhaps fasting + exams is not a great idea!

Agree with the grade boundaries, I think they will be quite low this year considering how tough the majority of people found it.
Reply 463
I have a problem with finishing exams at the best of times - I'm an incredibly slow writer - so this test wasn't great.

I dropped 5 on the 6-marker as I thought I would come back and do it at the end, 2 marks on the progressive wave one (same reason), 2 on the different material of refraction (ran out of time) and a selection of marks here and there because of petty errors - for instance the light that appears first, which for some reason I put red even though I worked it out that it should have been violet.

Perhaps fasting + exams is not a great idea!

Agree with the grade boundaries, I think they will be quite low this year considering how tough the majority of people found it.

Yeh I hope so!
I thought it said vertical velocity. Didn't the exam question say vertical?

I thought it said horizontal and answered thusly, but maybe I misread it - I was in a panicked state at the time..

As I said, maybe I'm wrong so don't sweat it until somebody posts the actual exam.
Reply 465
Did people get a line of negative gradient from the initial point to Tf (or h, can't remember which way around) and then a line of positive gradient to the other T reference point?

Surprising that there were no materials questions whatsoever.

no i put both negative gradients because it was a velocity graph wasn't it?
I thought I had revised physics unit 2 inside out. Every past paper I did in half the time and got 90% +, and this is coming from a student with a learning disability. This paper I couldn't even finish, I ran out of time even though I get 25% extra. I redid last years paper last night and i got 104 UMS, so I was feeling really confident until I actually opened up my paper:rip::rip::rip::rip:
missed so many parts of qs out , they don't give us enough time to allow us to answer qs. What does everyone think the grade boundaries would be like ?
Reply 468
I think the grade boundaries will be low but surely it can't be lower than last year as it was last year it was 48 for an A.Also you have to consider that everyone doing this paper was retaking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mbh16

It said magnitude of velocity unfortunately
[QUOTE=Simple Harmonic;65610451]I thought it said vertical velocity. Didn't the exam question say vertical?

Which question were you talking about? What were you trying to find
Original post by mbh16

I think it was magnitude of velocity, but can't remember entirely.
Does someone know how much the diamond question where you had to draw the lines was....I skipped it due to time ? Just wondering how many marks were lost with that
That was the hardest paper over the past six years, much harder than last years. I'd expect around 43-45 for an A
Original post by philo-jitsu
Does someone know how much the diamond question where you had to draw the lines was....I skipped it due to time ? Just wondering how many marks were lost with that

2 marks ...
Reply 475
What did you get for the one about the spring?i couldn't find the maximum force so I wrote 1.8N

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so these were the topics....what number was each one?

Rocket question

Projectile motion

Moments with rock

Diamond questions

Diffraction grating question

Truck 6 marker

Spring question

Really easy waves question

Were these the questions

What was their order?
Reply 477
Original post by philo-jitsu
Okay so these were the topics....what number was each one?

Rocket question

Projectile motion

Moments with rock

Diamond questions

Diffraction grating question

Truck 6 marker

Spring question

Really easy waves question

Were these the questions

What was their order?

I know that the rock question can first followed by the projectile.The diamond one was last and the diffraction grating was before that. I think the truck was q5 but I can't remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rahmada
The embankment one:

R (Reaction force at embankment) = 0
Resolve from the rock.
Vertical force at the left much be greater than the right for the boy to stand without falling

Mass of boy = 46kg Distance to boy = 0.8
Mass of plank = 40kg Distance to C.O.M = 1.2

46g * 0.8 = 40g * 1.2 + C
313.6 = 361 + C
C is negative so the boy can stand.

That's how I did it.

but if the reaction force at the embankment is 0 then surely its on the point of tipping about the rock? I took moments about the rock and found there was still a supporting force on the plank by the bank meaning the plank was still in contact with the bank so it was not gonna tip so he could walk
Original post by Mo2351
What did you get for the one about the spring?i couldn't find the maximum force so I wrote 1.8N

Posted from TSR Mobile

You calculated the work done against friction in a previous question. Energy is always conserved and this energy is stored as elastic potential energy when the string is compressed.

E = 0.5 F L

Rearrange for F. That's what I did anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest