The Student Room Group

Mitosis and meiosis

Do we need to know the ENITRE process (step by step, start to finish) of mitosis and meiosis for AQA gcse biology unit 2

I know it "wouldn't hurt to learn it" but i'm currently cramming right now and need to know what to prioritise

Thanks x
Yeah - you do need to know the entire process and what it produces at the end.
Reply 2
Whats the difference o.o
Original post by Alyiza
Whats the difference o.o

In summary:
Mitosis
- type of cell divison
- makes body cells
- produces 2 genetically identical daughter cells
- diploid cells (daughter cells have two sets of chromosomes from the parent cell)
- it's for growth, repair and asexual reproduction

Meosis
- type of cell division
- forms gametes (sex cells)
- used for sexual reproduction
-produces 4 genetically different daughter cells
- haploid cells (each daughter cell has half the number of chromosomes from the parent cell)

Hope this helped and good luck tomorrow! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by electramoon
In summary:
Mitosis
- type of cell divison
- makes body cells
- produces 2 genetically identical daughter cells
- diploid cells (daughter cells have two sets of chromosomes from the parent cell)
- it's for growth, repair and asexual reproduction

Meosis
- type of cell division
- forms gametes (sex cells)
- used for sexual reproduction
-produces 4 genetically different daughter cells
- haploid cells (each daughter cell has half the number of chromosomes from the parent cell)

Hope this helped and good luck tomorrow! :smile:

Wow thanks a lot, this rly helped but 1 thing: when you said diploid cells (daughter cells have two sets of chromosomes from the parent cell) do you mean each one has 2x the amount of chromosomes in the parent cell or both daughter cells in total have two sets of chromosomes from the parent cell?
Original post by Alyiza
Wow thanks a lot, this rly helped but 1 thing: when you said diploid cells (daughter cells have two sets of chromosomes from the parent cell) do you mean each one has 2x the amount of chromosomes in the parent cell or both daughter cells in total have two sets of chromosomes from the parent cell?

Sorry my wording was a bit funny.
In mitosis, the daughter cells inherit identical chromosomes to the parent cells.
If the parent cells have two sets of chromosomes (diploid) then the daughter cells will also be diploid.
Reply 6
Original post by electramoon
Sorry my wording was a bit funny.
In mitosis, the daughter cells inherit identical chromosomes to the parent cells.
If the parent cells have two sets of chromosomes (diploid) then the daughter cells will also be diploid.

Ah okay makes sense, thanks a lot ^.^

Quick Reply

Latest