The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam_Budd
the way i read it was you had to put how they do and then how parliament do and micro analyse each point. For judiciary my points were:
The inclusion of the ECHR which courts can rule on with Belmarsh my example but they to micro i used that the arent binding on parliament so as Blair did following the ruling on the freezing of terrorist assets they can be overruled which shows little protection in reality.

Then the EU soci-economic rights protection which is sovereign following the factortame case. Then used Williams v British Airways to show how they used the EU to protect rights of the individual in terms of holiday payment. Then that this was almost unlimited in the ability to protect rights unless parliament use their power to leave the EU.

Finally the extension of judicial activism and judges such as Lords Woolf and Bingham who use their personal position to champion the rights of the individual in certain areas against the government. Also activism as with the High Court who ordered the release of expesnses files in 2009. However, sovereignty means that ministers are able to withstand these attempts etc.

Then for Parliament:
The House of Lords checks for protecting rights as they used against gov for Tax credit cuts and disability allowance cuts. Then micro with unelected so power is limited to be fully protecting rights.

The commons and the continued activism of back benchers and opposition as they had used when Sunday Trading changes were revoked as it was believed to go against the rights of wokers. Then micro was that this often depends on the size of the majority. Blair went 8 years without losing a vote in the Commons after 1997 and this was at a time of increasing restrictions to rights for anti-terror purposes suggesting that Parliament fails in this area quite often.

Acronym for HRA rulings:
TICC -

TORTURE - 2005 - evidence gained = inadmissable.
INDEFINITE DETENTION - 2004 - Indefinite detention of terrorist suspects in Belmarsh & Broadmoor is incompatible
CURFEWS - 2007 - 18 hour Curfews = breach of civil liberties under ECHR
CONTROL ORDERS - 2010 - ruling that individuals detained under control orders could seek compensation
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1461
Original post by bendover1
Can someone please tell me what they wrote for the PM 25 marker.

Just about managed to finish my essay on PM but wrote about the following:

Para 1-PM is free from political constraint if they have support of their party. Talked about electoral liability, elasticity theory, etc in regards to Blair. Discussed Major and his weakened authority by rebels, etc.

Para 2-PM not free from political constraint depending on size of majority. Talked about landslides had by Blair and Thatcher, passing of bills such as on foundation hospitals and tuition fees. Cameron will face less well with a mere majority of 12.

Para 3-PM not free from political constraints owing to coalition. Discussed the sharing of power in terms of decision making, legislation in regards to Con-Lib Dem coalition. Also mentioned confidence and supply arrangement criteria which may pressurise PM e.g Major and Ulster Unionists in 1997

Para 4-PM free from political constraint on account of their personality. Should be able to dominate and their personality reflects on their leadership. Discussed Blair being statesman-like and able to get his way, e.g Millenium a Dome in 1997. Major and Heath acted as peace brokers in their cabinet, the former containing some of his deadliest enemies not out of choice but out of decision to reassert authority.

Conclusion-summed up above points and came to the conclusion that the PM is generally never free from constraint due to cabinet and parliament in the end.

Hope this helps you :smile:
Original post by Hannaha124
Tbh the course is called the uk government and politics so... Also says so on the front of the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

As they would say in the House of Commons, hear hear!
definitely would recommend that, they are where all your marks come and you can get an A by just answering them if they are done to a high standard

Argh, it somehow went past me that the last question is a 40 marker! I thought it was 25 and now feel even worse, as I also ran out of time for paper 1's 25 marker. :/

So I've lost 65 marks already, despite knowing what to answer... doesn't bode well.
Original post by Louise12307
The question was "the arguments for further constitutional reform are more convincing than those against". Discuss.

The arguments for further constitutional reform involve mentioning current ones. For example:

In 1998, devolution allowed for governments/assemblies to be set up in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Supporters of this reform highlight the powers that were allocated such as the ability for Scotland to vary income tax levels by 3% either side of the level in London. Powers such as these have arguably allowed for a more democratic system, bringing the decisions closer to the people. Therefore, many argue that further reform is not needed.
However, many disagree. The SNP argue for full Scottish independence and many nationalists argue that Westminster desires to hold all the power.
That said, a referendum in 2014 for Scottish independence returned a "no" result despite a high turnout (over 80%). In light of this, it can be concluded that the regional public are satisfied with the current level of reform.

See?

Posted from TSR Mobile

THat's a interesting approach. I basically did that in the last 5 minutes by scribbling half a page on, BLAIR WENT FAR ENOUGH WITH X REFORMS AND THE COALITION DID Y WE NEED NO MORE REFORM!! but my handwriting was bordering on illegible at this point 😂
Original post by xxvine
nerves and all

no need to be cheeky

She has a point sorry. Just forget about it
Yeah all in all it was a good paper. My judiciary answer was a bit one sided though.
Original post by alevelpain
THat's a interesting approach. I basically did that in the last 5 minutes by scribbling half a page on, BLAIR WENT FAR ENOUGH WITH X REFORMS AND THE COALITION DID Y WE NEED NO MORE REFORM!! but my handwriting was bordering on illegible at this point 😂

Haha! Well that's how I structure my paragraphs, the structure will vary between person of course! Well you will have hopefully locked in some good marks then :smile: I understand that the wording was awful, I full on went blank for ages but once I began I realised what it was asking. Close shave because I'm renowned for making mistakes like that. I got my first U on my philosophy mock by writing a very credible essay but on the the wrong thing! but I'm still not sure how people derived solely codification from the question? Weird. I guess people panic and edexcel are so evil. I really feel for people this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stratagems
Argh, it somehow went past me that the last question is a 40 marker! I thought it was 25 and now feel even worse, as I also ran out of time for paper 1's 25 marker. :/

So I've lost 65 marks already, despite knowing what to answer... doesn't bode well.

politics is just one of those subjects where the timings are the main problem for most people as in reality the content isn't really difficult just keeping a relevant bank of examples. Its even worse in A2 because they expect more from you but still at just a minute per mark.

Hey look don't worry about it! i know you might be feeling crap right now but just forget about it because you can't do anything else. Just focus on other exams, or if you're finished try to focus on other things. there's no point beating yourself up about it!!! And you can always retake, i feel like im going to have to retake this paper anyway, i was so rushed for time!!
politics is just one of those subjects where the timings are the main problem for most people as in reality the content isn't really difficult just keeping a relevant bank of examples. Its even worse in A2 because they expect more from you but still at just a minute per mark.

I'm actually demoralised - I'm doing politics AS and A2 in one year and don't even see the point of bothering... I've no idea what grade I'll get in a best case scenario - provided I answered all of the other questions and got 100% - if I failed to answer even half answer both of the highest-mark questions. I'm guessing it won't be more than C, at best.

:/
Original post by Sayeeda101
Hey look don't worry about it! i know you might be feeling crap right now but just forget about it because you can't do anything else. Just focus on other exams, or if you're finished try to focus on other things. there's no point beating yourself up about it!!! And you can always retake, i feel like im going to have to retake this paper anyway, i was so rushed for time!!

I'm doing the subject intensively - and have an offer from uni on that basis! :frown:

I have history tomorrow and it's just put me off completely, plus unit 3 + 4 of the A2 politics paper next week. :/
I'm actually demoralised - I'm doing politics AS and A2 in one year and don't even see the point of bothering... I've no idea what grade I'll get in a best case scenario - provided I answered all of the other questions and got 100% - if I failed to answer even half answer both of the highest-mark questions. I'm guessing it won't be more than C, at best.

what topic you doing for A2?
Don't give up

if you can try and get an A in A2 you could get a B overall

ohh yeah? ive basically had to as well this year because of my last year results. you can make some of it back from A2, what section of A2 are you doing?
Original post by xxvine
what topic you doing for A2?
Don't give up

if you can try and get an A in A2 you could get a B overall

Global structures of politics and global political issues

ohh yeah? ive basically had to as well this year because of my last year results. you can make some of it back from A2, what section of A2 are you doing?

Global structures of politics and global political issues, which are hard AF. SO MUCH more content to remember! You? Good luck!

There's no time to plan so you can't even figure out which question you're likely to answer better until you've already started and are half -way through. People on twitter seemed to get caught out that way.

Both sources seemed way longer than normal in this paper too! I swear they think we can laser beam our answers on to the paper before we've even had a chance to finish reading it all!
(edited 7 years ago)
Global structures of politics and global political issues which are hard AF. SO MUCH more content to remember!

that sounds pretty terrible to be fair
anyone remember the wording of the 40 mark constitution question?
that sounds pretty terrible to be fair

What are your units?

They're interesting topics - you learn about world order (hegemony between US, Russia, China etc), global governance, european union and regionalism for unit 3. For unit 4, it's conflict, war and terrorism; human rights; environmental issues; and, poverty and development. SO MUCH THEORY, which ruins politics for me a little as I like contextual and applied learning.
Reply 1478
Original post by history master
anyone remember the wording of the 40 ymark constitution question?

The argument for enacting further constitutional reform is clearer than the arguments against. Discuss

(Not 100% word for word but close enough)
Original post by history master
anyone remember the wording of the 40 mark constitution question?

Something like it's said the arguments for further constitutional reform are more significant than the arguments against constitutional reform and Then it must have been discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending