The Student Room Group

Some examples of subtle racism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
Not at all. I personally find it disgusting and an infringement of my privacy. You should be able to disable it in your Google settings. Sorry about my tone!

I will see if I can disable because there's no ****ing way I use Yahoo search :afraid:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Watch
[video="youtube;Cy6e9SIz-hA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6e9SIz-hA[/video]

I'm gonna try this same search and see what I get...

and again what he's searching ain't made up. If google is racist the people in the mugshots are self-racist...
Original post by 0to100
I will see if I can disable because there's no ****ing way I use Yahoo search :afraid:

Have a look at getting this:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ghostery/mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij?hl=en
Also, follow this guide to purge the data Google has on you: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/4540094?hl=en
Original post by 0to100
I'm gonna try this same search and see what I get...

and again what he's searching ain't made up. If google is racist the people in the mugshots are self-racist...

i tried it! It works
i tried it! It works

Do you understand boolean or how computers work? A tweet from a random person isn't an official source either. It's another confused person who doesn't understand how search works. It's already been exlained and people are still in hysterics.

When you search for something it's about the keywords you used while you typed. The search engine then picks up ANYTHING that has even one word in the whole search term you typed. :colonhash:
@iEthan you say its about algorithms, so isn't racist, but there are humans behind the algorithms. Isnt it likely that some google employees decided to have a laugh at black peoples expense?
A computer is not a human being with feelings. It operates on command based on what you type in and it automates pulling up what's in the system. Even I know this.
Original post by Multiculturalism
@iEthan you say its about algorithms, so isn't racist, but there are humans behind the algorithms. Isnt it likely that some google employees decided to have a laugh at black peoples expense?

You are really incredible. You must be a troll trying to ridicule anything a true anti-racist stands for.

Don't talk complete and utter nonsense. Seriously. Don't do it.
Original post by 0to100
You are really incredible. You must be a troll trying to ridicule anything a true anti-racist stands for.

Oh grow up. Calling people you disagree with trolls is just stupid and shows you don't have any arguments left.

Original post by iEthan
Don't talk complete and utter nonsense. Seriously. Don't do it.

No, seriously. How hard would it be for a Google employee to mess around with the search algorithm and results?
Deji (comedyshortsgamer) found this out a while ago.
Reply 31
There's always going to be racists and sexists and the lot so I think it's just a matter of how much you care. Unless it directly affects me like job prospects or whatever, I couldn't care less if tonnes of people are racist because there are tonnes of people who aren't that I can be friends with or whatever.
Original post by 0to100
Do you understand boolean or how computers work? A tweet from a random person isn't an official source either. It's another confused person who doesn't understand how search works. It's already been exlained and people are still in hysterics.

When you search for something it's about the keywords you used while you typed. The search engine then picks up ANYTHING that has even one word in the whole search term you typed. :colonhash:

Lol I didnt use the tweet as a reference. I just typed unprofesssional hair styles and it came up!
Oh grow up. Calling people you disagree with trolls is just stupid and shows you don't have any arguments left.

No, seriously. How hard would it be for a Google employee to mess around with the search algorithm and results?

INCREDIBLY hard. So utterly, unbelievably hard. Google has an internal process in which any change to a vital piece of code (that would be the way in which Google's algorithm works for SURE) has to be approved by several incredibly senior members of staff before it goes into production and that's without even mentioning the testing, pre-approval process amongst the technicians (of which, there are usually about 50 for each project) and risk assessments plus marketing assessments that Google puts into place for every vital code change. To suggest that some idiot could change vital code within the search engine's process without it being noticed and/or without them being sued to the point where they would be worth minus money is completely and utterly absurd.

So again, don't.
Original post by 0to100

Oh so you can respond to what you think is an immature post from me but when I quote you with proper debate

Original post by 0to100
Lmao whoooo repped this? Nowt to do with race. All to do with money! He goes to bloody Stanford mate. And had his daddy speak for him. He's rich. A lot of black especially American men don't go to top unis for whatever reason and then don't have their dads to speak for em.

This doesn't eliminate the fact that US and the world can be racist and probably systematically so, but if you start confusing situations where race was not involved you'll confuse the situations where race was involved smh. People use racism to ignore classism.

If he was white and poor and didn't go to Uni he'd probably get longer than 6 mths but granted a black MIGHT get a couple yrs for the same thing. I'm sure there are cases where a black would get no time.

Chris Brown is black and he beat Rihanna, who is also rich and powerful. And he did no time so. It's about the money.

you've suddenly gone mute? Right, troll checked and troll blocked. If you seriously disagreed you could've simply quoted to say you disagree, or "oh grow up" or engaged in a debate with me, just like you're doing now, right? Yea keep whinging about stupidness on your own.
Lol people are searching so much that the results for 'three white teenagers' have changed to include the pictures of the three black teenagers
Lol I didnt use the tweet as a reference. I just typed unprofesssional hair styles and it came up!

But you showed a tweet to support your theory that google...a computerised search engine...is racist.

You and OP are seriously ****ing up the otherwise valid argument that there is racism in this world. You're making it sound completely ridiculous. Smh.
So, some of y'all are telling me that racism is not a problem in the UK and US. But its everywhere, even in google search. How can you not see it?!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/09/three-black-teenagers-anger-as-google-image-search-shows-police-mugshots

SJW/10=11
Original post by Trapz99
Lol people are searching so much that the results for 'three white teenagers' have changed to include the pictures of the three black teenagers

I wondered why that was the case.

Original post by 0to100
Oh so you can respond to what you think is an immature post from me but when I quote you with proper debate

you've suddenly gone mute? Right, troll checked and troll blocked. If you seriously disagreed you could've simply quoted to say you disagree, or "oh grow up" or engaged in a debate with me, just like you're doing now, right? Yea keep whinging about stupidness on your own.

I agreed slightly with your post there, why should I debate you on it?
Original post by iEthan
INCREDIBLY hard. So utterly, unbelievably hard. Google has an internal process in which any change to a vital piece of code (that would be the way in which Google's algorithm works for SURE) has to be approved by several incredibly senior members of staff before it goes into production and that's without even mentioning the testing, pre-approval process amongst the technicians (of which, there are usually about 50 for each project) and risk assessments plus marketing assessments that Google puts into place for every vital code change. To suggest that some idiot could change vital code within the search engine's process without it being noticed and/or without them being sued to the point where they would be worth minus money is completely and utterly absurd.

So again, don't.

Never seen you even remotely livid before. If he/she still refuses to understand then don't bother upsetting yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending