The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Civil Rights America 19th/20th Century - 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm okay for AA and vaguely remember the events and periods/turning points, but NOT any dates, argh!

Need to cram for NA + something else tonight. FML
Reply 101
Hey, can any of you tell me what turning points youre using for NA, WOMEN, and AA? would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Hiya, does anyone know how to specifically get an A*?
My teacher just said to take 'risks' in your writing but I think I'll just go off on an irrelevant tangent (I waffle a lot)

Do you know what makes an A* essay in terms of structure etc (do you have to add something idk)

I'd appreciate any help I can get, I just had a geography exam this afternoon so I haven't really revised for history at all :frown:
Original post by Hattie_Hats
Hiya, does anyone know how to specifically get an A*?
My teacher just said to take 'risks' in your writing but I think I'll just go off on an irrelevant tangent (I waffle a lot)

Do you know what makes an A* essay in terms of structure etc (do you have to add something idk)

I'd appreciate any help I can get, I just had a geography exam this afternoon so I haven't really revised for history at all :frown:

Same I've had my two politics exams this week so I had to focus on that. :frown:
Original post by why197
Hey, can any of you tell me what turning points youre using for NA, WOMEN, and AA? would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

For NA I normally talk about the Dawes Act, WW1/2 and then Siege of Alcatraz
Women: campaigns (18th century), New Deal and feminist movement (1960s)

Haven't looked at my AA stuff in like 6 months so I can't remember

Hope this helps!
Original post by why197

women: 1873 Comstock Laws, banning contraceptive information from publication. 1919 19th amendment gaining the right to vote. 1933-39 New Deal Acts. 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1973 Roe v Wade.

NA: 1887 Dawes Act. 1924 Indian Citizenship Act. 1933-39 New Deal with the 1934 Indian Reorganisation Act. 1964 Civil Rights Act and finally the 1978 Native American Religious Freedom Act.

AA: 1868 14th Amendment promising citizenship to all American men, but not including AA. 1917-1918 WW1. 1933-39 New Deal. 1954 Brown v Board, and 1984 and 88 Jesse Jackson presidential run
Guys what structure is best for a trade union essay? My teacher told me to follow the typical social, economic and politics but in some of the example essays I have ready people usually just address trade union in one paragraph and labour rights in another? :s
Original post by ribbon123
Guys what structure is best for a trade union essay? My teacher told me to follow the typical social, economic and politics but in some of the example essays I have ready people usually just address trade union in one paragraph and labour rights in another? :s

Social, political and economic doesn't work for TU as they mainly wanted economic
Try a factor or thematic approach
Reply 108
Original post by Hattie_Hats
For NA I normally talk about the Dawes Act, WW1/2 and then Siege of Alcatraz
Women: campaigns (18th century), New Deal and feminist movement (1960s)

Haven't looked at my AA stuff in like 6 months so I can't remember

Hope this helps!

Original post by JessieeMayy
women: 1873 Comstock Laws, banning contraceptive information from publication. 1919 19th amendment gaining the right to vote. 1933-39 New Deal Acts. 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1973 Roe v Wade.

NA: 1887 Dawes Act. 1924 Indian Citizenship Act. 1933-39 New Deal with the 1934 Indian Reorganisation Act. 1964 Civil Rights Act and finally the 1978 Native American Religious Freedom Act.

AA: 1868 14th Amendment promising citizenship to all American men, but not including AA. 1917-1918 WW1. 1933-39 New Deal. 1954 Brown v Board, and 1984 and 88 Jesse Jackson presidential run

Thank youu! I appreciate it!
Original post by marty_marts
Hey all,
Quick question: what factors would you divide this question into:
How united where American women in the support of the issue of gender equality in the period 1865-1992?

I only have 1 factor and that's the focus of the various campaigners, etc. Would you also do how divided they were in terms of what women wanted as a whole - seperate spheres, vote, work, etc?

I'm just not sure on the factors so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply but I would personally do a paragraph on how United they were in their aims (they weren't) basically campaigns
Then another paragraph on how they were divided interms of race and class and religion and then a paragraph showing when they were united during the period.
Original post by why197

Turning points for AA
Reconstruction
WW2
1960s

NA
Dawes plan
Wheeler Howard (new deal)
Nixons presidency
How are you guys revising for this? Personally I am splitting everything into soc, econ and pol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm revising by splitting it up into sections and time. So I have turning points, congress, supreme court, president and activists. Then my time periods are 1865-1900 1900-1930 1930-1950 1950-1970 and 1970-1992. So I have an example for each section under each time to get a chronological coverage. I wouldn't just revise Socially, Politically and Economically because you need to be clear in your head before you enter the exam hall of factors from each branch of government and possible turning points so you can get straight on with the exam rather than having to think about what turning points you need. I always make sure I refer to social, political and economic within my paragraphs and make sure I have a least one turning point for each section.
Original post by sharan1997
does anyone have or know where i can find the past paper from 2015? I've looked everywhere :frown:

Only teachers can access last years, they're not released till the summer. Last year was a Labour Rights turning points, and women and African Americans.
Reply 113
Im worried for my exam! I know content but scared im forgetting, its mainly women im stuck on! HELP
Reply 114
How are you guys revising for this? Personally I am splitting everything into socin m, econ and pol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my school we broke it down into themes such as AA- Lynching, Gaining vote, socio economic and housing NA: Self determination, Religon and Right to Land and for women was socio econ and poltical
Original post by Zee98
Im worried for my exam! I know content but scared im forgetting, its mainly women im stuck on! HELP

There is just so much content. This will be the worst exam ever.
Women Turning points
SOCIAL - New feminist mvmt + Roe v Wade 1974 = broke concept of separate spheres and rejected idea of being confined to home and family. Individuals such as Betty Friedan who published 'The feminine mystique' showed how women longed to leave their 'comfortable concentration camps' to discover their own identity. caused anti feminist backlash led by Phylis schlafly. Roe v wade set legal precedent in giving women liberation over their own body and rejecting idea of women only to procreate.
WORKPLACE - WWII - unlike WWI where women were expected to go back to traditional roles, after WWII 75% wanted to remain in paid employment. Women in work increased by 50% and made up 1/3 of total workforce. Earning better wages and positive effects extended into post war period - culminated in groundbreaking workplace leg such as Equal Pay Act (forgot date sorry) which gave women more financial independence
POLITICAL - 19th Amendment (despite limitations such as disenfranchisement of AA women in south, little interest to vote bc polls suggest vote same as husbands) still important in setting a precedent for civil rights leg and reform in 1970s. Saw positive effects later in period, appointment of frances Perkins as cabinet minister only 19 years after 19th amdmt by FDR, and during admin of vice Geraldine Ferraro women putting themselves forward for election went from 20 in 1968 to 78 in 1990.

*note* : I find it x10 easier to revise thematically. saves me from having to do more thinking during the exam. GL everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)
What can we say (taking AA rights as an example) that would be an example of synthesis and synoptic-ism? 😐
Reply 118
Hey this may help people of what came up each year. NA- Native American AA-African American- TU-trade unions and W- Women
Jan 10- AA, TU NA
Jun 10- AA, W, NA
Jan 11- AA, TU, W
June 11- AA, W, NA
Jan 12- AA, TU, W
Jun 12- TU, W, NA
Jan 13- AA, TU, NA
June 13- AA, NA, W
June 14- AA, NA, W
June 15- AA, W, TU
And how many each has came up out of the past years 9/10- AA 8/10- Women 5/10 TU and 7/10 Native
Hope this helps
Original post by stratagems
What can we say (taking AA rights as an example) that would be an example of synthesis and synoptic-ism? 😐

Explaining why things happened due to external factors, so, with AA rights for example, MLK and the civil rights mvmt was greatly helped by wide media coverage which helped illustrate their grievances and police brutality which helped create public sympathy and more support. Another external factor is the more liberal justices in the 1960s which allowed more supportive legislation and sp ct decisions.

For earlier in the period, AA faced de facto discrimination and segregation due to Jim Crow laws, social Darwinism (ideas about racial hierarchy) etc.

That is synthesis. explanations of why things changed or didn't. External factors

A synoptic argument is one that spans across the entire period making sure you reiterate your argument frequently!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending