The Student Room Group

Cannabis referendum petition

Let me start off by saying that I am by no means a 'stoner', I do however believe that many people have been hurt by the current legislation against the use of cannabis. Not only have people that suffer from life ruining illnesses been denied access to a perfectly viable treatment but recreational users have been punished by the justice system, leading to those people having their lives ruined. Also, people who wish to follow the law are forced into choosing to go on to other, far more dangerous legal alternatives, such as alcohol and cigarettes.

I also recognise that many people have a view that drugs such as cannabis should be illegal and you are free to that opinion, there is no 'right' answer. Nevertheless it is important to preserve democracy and the truth is that the many people, especially young people, are beginning to hold the view that cannabis should not be illegal, yet this view is being consistently ignored.

Whatever your view is, I hope that you will sign this petition so that we can decide on what we want through a national referendum. I understand that referendums are rare and reserved for important matters, however as many people may remember a similar petition amassed nearly 237,000 votes in favor, clearly indicating that this is a contentious issue; yet the will of the people was overthrown by a small group of politicians, many of which have themselves have used cannabis, even the current Prime Minister has not denied allegations of smoking cannabis.

Below is the petition and the link so that you can sign it:

Title: Call for a referendum to make the medical and recreational use of cannabis legal

We believe that it should be up to the people to weigh out the sociological, psychological and economic benefits and drawbacks of this drug. Since this country is a democracy our voices should finally be heard and as such we should have a referendum as to whether cannabis should be legalised.

Even the scientific evidence on this drug has been very controversial, some argue that its legalisation would be a net improvement, others argue it would not. This is not an issue for a small group of people in parliament to decide on. There have been countries where this drug has been legalised and others where it has not; these countries give us insight as to what legalisation of this drug leads to. We, the people of the UK, should have our say as to what sort of country we wish to live in.

Please click this link and sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/132339/sponsors/n4GGbCZDDjC4AWleyLTP

Scroll to see replies

Not happening. There is NO valid argument for opposing legalisation, even for recreational use. Opposing medicinal use ****ing disgusting dick waving by moral puritans, it's shameful. There's an overwhelming amount of evidence suggesting that legalisation is the way to go.

But the majority of British people already support legalisation of cannabis. It's just not going to happen while the country is run by cavemen intent on forcing us back to the stone age.

I've signed anyway, but what we really need to do is raise awareness and get people to stop voting for these idiots. Refusing to legalise cannabis is actually one of the less ridiculous things these anti-science freaks have done.
Reply 2
Original post by JordanL_
Not happening. There is NO valid argument for opposing legalisation, even for recreational use. Opposing medicinal use ****ing disgusting dick waving by moral puritans, it's shameful. There's an overwhelming amount of evidence suggesting that legalisation is the way to go.

But the majority of British people already support legalisation of cannabis. It's just not going to happen while the country is run by cavemen intent on forcing us back to the stone age.

I've signed anyway, but what we really need to do is raise awareness and get people to stop voting for these idiots. Refusing to legalise cannabis is actually one of the less ridiculous things these anti-science freaks have done.

Thanks for the support! I understand that this will likely die in the sea of threads on tsr however if there is a chance that we can repeat (and maybe exceed!) what happened last year I think we should do it. More and more politicians are changing their minds, I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron decides to change his stance in order to appease the public. Every little helps, one thing is for certain, if nobody acts then nothing will change :smile:
I've added my name but please don't get your hopes up. I've signed the countless petitions for cannabis reform over the past five or six years and nothing comes of them. Occasionally one gets some traction and is then shut down pretty sharpish when it gets to first or second reading stage. Neither the Conservatives nor the Labour Party are interested in cannabis reform. If it really bugs you then vote Lib Dem because they're the only ones pushing major drug policy reform in the direction of the evidence.

Amen
****ing ******s, lol "weed cures cancer bro", "the man keeping us down". weed is ****ing degenerate
Weed does not agree with some people
Reply 7
I don't know where you stand on this issue. As its still a drug....

Maybe have it so only doctors can only give you it? and any other outside use is illegal?

Otherwise we will all be rich by growing it lol
Original post by cccccccccccccc
****ing ******s, lol "weed cures cancer bro", "the man keeping us down". weed is ****ing degenerate

Are there really people who believe this? Interested to see any justification.
There's a zero percent chance of a referendum on such a minor issue.

I agree that weed should be legalised. I'd personally extend that view to other drugs, too, but I agree cannabis is a particularly pressing case. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that this is going to succeed.
No - I disagree with legalisation. Only for medicinal use.
Original post by ivybridge

Do you accept that purely medical cannabis legalisation would do nothing to hinder the black market and still leave criminals with a monopoly on supply to recreational users?
Original post by shreddingfish92
Do you accept that purely medical cannabis legalisation would do nothing to hinder the black market and still leave criminals with a monopoly on supply to recreational users?

Doesn't interest me.

Why? You can't just decide that the facts "don't interest you".
Why? You can't just decide that the facts "don't interest you".

What facts would those be? And well, I didn't say that. I don't think recreational usage is okay - I'm entitled to that opinion, calm down with your militance.
What facts would those be? And well, I didn't say that. I don't think recreational usage is okay - I'm entitled to that opinion, calm down with your militance.

1. Criminalisation doesn't decrease drug use

2. Criminalisation increases addiction and mortality rates

3. Large proportions of drug deaths are due to impure products (a result of forcing people to buy from black markets), rather than the drugs themselves

4. Cannabis is less addictive than alcohol and is the least dangerous recreational drug in the world. It can't be overdosed on and will only cause permanent health effects in people predisposed to them. Most of the danger is in smoking it, which is another result of criminalisation.
1. Criminalisation doesn't decrease drug use

2. Criminalisation increases addiction and mortality rates

3. Large proportions of drug deaths are due to impure products (a result of forcing people to buy from black markets), rather than the drugs themselves

4. Cannabis is less addictive than alcohol and is the least dangerous recreational drug in the world. It can't be overdosed on and will only cause permanent health effects in people predisposed to them. Most of the danger is in smoking it, which is another result of criminalisation.

Your first and second points make me laugh.

The third is true although I disagree with the deduction in the fourth.
Cannabis is supposed to help with period cramps so in.
Your first and second points make me laugh.

The third is true although I disagree with the deduction in the fourth.

Why would that make you laugh? Maybe you need to do some research.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)00619-X/abstract

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-years-ago-and-now-hardly-anyone-dies-from-overdosing-10301780.html

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countries/czech-republic

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/cannabis-policy-netherlands-moving-forwards-not-backwards

Of particular interest, note that the last source mentions that cannabis use in the Netherlands (where it is fully legalised and available to buy in shops) is lower than in most nearby countries.

Those are the facts.
Why would that make you laugh? Maybe you need to do some research.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)00619-X/abstract

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-years-ago-and-now-hardly-anyone-dies-from-overdosing-10301780.html

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countries/czech-republic

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/cannabis-policy-netherlands-moving-forwards-not-backwards

Of particular interest, note that the last source mentions that cannabis use in the Netherlands (where it is fully legalised and available to buy in shops) is lower than in most nearby countries.

Those are the facts.

I don't think your sources explain the relationship between the two factors well. It's simply your interpretation of the relationship - not fact that they link into one another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending