The Student Room Group

How to tell GP you possibly have depression?

I've been to my GP before that I've been feeling down and worthless etc when I was 14/15 (two years ago) and she kind of brushed it off and told me to come back in a few weeks if I still feel the same aka she doesn't take me seriously. I want to go back again since I genuinely believe that I have a mental health problem. It's extremely annoying at this age since SO many people say 'oh it's just hormones'

s/h

. I doubt it's hormones love... I don't technically have a GP but I'll get it sorted out in the near future.

Anyway, I have no idea how to say it. I've been told that you can't say you're 'depressed' since they won't take you seriously. I just want to get a diagnosis so I can finally start believing and accepting that I have some sort of problem. For the 5-6 years I've felt like this I've told myself that I don't have a problem but if I do formally get diagnosed it will, in a sense, make me feel better about myself.

I've been thinking about telling a teacher I've talked to about problems at home (not a counselor but has more of a pastoral role) but I'm not sure what the outcome of it will be. Like will they refer me to anyone or tell a family member or something else? I'm not sure. I just need help and I'm pretty desperate. Can people who have seen their GP about this kind of thing describe their experiences and how to say it to them? I don't want to say something that'll mean they don't take me seriously. Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not so sure that telling you to return in a few weeks was dismissing you/not taking you seriously. From what I've heard, it actually really common for GPs to advise that when someone presents with depression. Anyway, I would advise writing down all your symptoms and then giving that to the doctor rather than come out and say "I think I have depression". Some doctors can get a bit uppity about self-diagnosis which is why I say that simply describing your symptoms might be a better idea. Your doctor might advise you get a blood test to test for things like thyroid abnormalities which can also give a person low mood. Again, this isn't dismissing you, it's actually a good idea to rule out more simple physical things first.
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm not so sure that telling you to return in a few weeks was dismissing you/not taking you seriously. From what I've heard, it actually really common for GPs to advise that when someone presents with depression. Anyway, I would advise writing down all your symptoms and then giving that to the doctor rather than come out and say "I think I have depression". Some doctors can get a bit uppity about self-diagnosis which is why I say that simply describing your symptoms might be a better idea. Your doctor might advise you get a blood test to test for things like thyroid abnormalities which can also give a person low mood. Again, this isn't dismissing you, it's actually a good idea to rule out more simple physical things first.

Yeah I'll have a different GP this time so it's a bit...I don't know. Confusing/worrying about what they could say too? Since I've basically had the same one all my life lol. Yeah I was thinking about talking about symptoms rather than saying 'I have depression' just wasn't sure how to put it across! Thanks for advice though. I'll most likely try and book an appointment either tomorrow or Monday :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I'll have a different GP this time so it's a bit...I don't know. Confusing/worrying about what they could say too? Since I've basically had the same one all my life lol. Yeah I was thinking about talking about symptoms rather than saying 'I have depression' just wasn't sure how to put it across! Thanks for advice though. I'll most likely try and book an appointment either tomorrow or Monday :smile:

No problem, I hope your appointment goes well. :smile:

The doctor might get you to fill out a PH9 questionnaire to kind of gauge how severe your depression is. Maybe look that up online and you can get a feel for the kind of things they think is important to mention.
Cants see the problem. Just book an appointment and tell them what your symptoms are or that you believe you are suffering from depression and then give the symptoms. Then say you need help. If you cnat say it in person ten write it down and hand them a note.
Should be straightfprward.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/dlp/depression-information/teen-depression/
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depression/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest